Light-O-Rama Forums

Input PUP Issue....Help

Protege94

I just got my input pup wired up and am testing it on the Hardware Utility. When I search for the input pup it finds it but all 4 boxes are checked and green. When I click each button the check/green goes away so I know its working. But the message under it says the green will show when the channel is triggered. I reversed the ground and terminal wires thinking that would change it but still all 4 boxes are green. What am I doing wrong?

If the description is right, then since all 4 boxes are green it makes me think that the HU is seeing all 4 buttons as being pushed right now, but they aren't. I feel like I have something backwards unless the HU is working correctly and I am wrong? I am using 4.4 if that matters.

For some reason it wont let me upload the image even though its under the file limit. Heres a link to the image:

2jezork.png

Edited by Protege94

You are likely seeing normal behavior.

The inputs on an InputPup can look for an active high signal or an active low signal - you can set which.  When there is nothing connected at all, the level will be high, so if that particular input is set for active high and there is nothing connected, it will show as tripped.  Play with the settings and that will all make sense.

As a general rule of thumb, reversing the two wires on an input will not have any effect (does depend on what is connected).

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You are likely seeing normal behavior.

The inputs on an InputPup can look for an active high signal or an active low signal - you can set which.  When there is nothing connected at all, the level will be high, so if that particular input is set for active high and there is nothing connected, it will show as tripped.  Play with the settings and that will all make sense.

As a general rule of thumb, reversing the two wires on an input will not have any effect (does depend on what is connected).

Thank you for the reply. I stayed up FAR too late last night trying to get this to work. Ended up digging out one of my controllers and my 16 channel test rig. The issue was that all the inputs were set to NO and my switches are NC. I changed that setting over and then built a quick test set of sequences and show and ran it through the paces. Works great now.

Except my wife thinks its a dumb idea to have my show driven off buttons because she doesn't think people will get out of their cars to put them.

20 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

Thank you for the reply. I stayed up FAR too late last night trying to get this to work. Ended up digging out one of my controllers and my 16 channel test rig. The issue was that all the inputs were set to NO and my switches are NC. I changed that setting over and then built a quick test set of sequences and show and ran it through the paces. Works great now.

Except my wife thinks its a dumb idea to have my show driven off buttons because she doesn't think people will get out of their cars to put them.

I agree with your wife.  Just watch folk at the super market parking. Absolutely will they NOT use that space 10 stalls further away. 

Buttons are for pedestrians. Use a PIR (sheltered if not outdoor rated) to trigger as 'things' move by. their field of view

10 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I agree with your wife.  Just watch folk at the super market parking. Absolutely will they NOT use that space 10 stalls further away. 

Buttons are for pedestrians. Use a PIR (sheltered if not outdoor rated) to trigger as 'things' move by. their field of view

We bought a new house earlier this year, at my old house I had the show run every 15 minutes but we also had a small church across the street so people could park there and listen to the music until the next show started.

The new house is in a new subdivision with an HOA so I am worried that if I have the show run every 15 minutes the individuals parking to wait as well as the number of times the show runs will cause issues with the HOA. I didnt want to move into an HOA out of fear that the show would get backlash and possibly shut down, but I had a baby and all the "good" neighborhoods in my area are all subdivisions with HOAs. I might end up doing a hybrid where I have the show run every 30 minutes and also have the buttons setup incase someone doesnt want to wait.

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

The PIR is a good idea but we live towards the front of the subdivision so the sensor would be going off pretty often as people come in and out of the neighborhood.

52 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

The PIR is a good idea but we live towards the front of the subdivision so the sensor would be going off pretty often as people come in and out of the neighborhood.

So! They no want to watch the blinky lights 😛 ? Is this to save power or to reduce annoying (the neighbors) glare?

27 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

So! They no want to watch the blinky lights 😛 ? Is this to save power or to reduce annoying (the neighbors) glare?

This is to reduce annoying the neighbors/HOA. After this first year I will know more about what the HOA thinks and then next year I can let it fly with more lights and what not.

• The topic was locked