Light-O-Rama Forums

Storing Controllers and Props

Vince4xmas

I know it's very early to ask this question as folks are starting their lightshows.

However, trying to plan ahead.

How do you all store your props and controllers after lightshow is over?

Is it safe to store coro based props uncovered in garage? 

I have plastic totes for my pixels and other components, but they are cheap totes with lids (Walmart).

Over the past 3 years I have stored all my coro props, pixels and controllers in my house.

I would really like to free up a bedroom as my show now uses all the space.

My concern is mice.

I've store my controllers in the garage for the past 5 years and have had no issues. Light and props are also stored in garage, attic, and shed.

I've stored blow molds in the garage & shed w/o any problems, but also make sure not to have their cords laying on the ground in case little critters are crawling around.

I store the light controllers in the garage too, and since I only have 3 of them I store all 3 in a bin with a lid.

Extension cords, LED light strings, 12" snowflakes, and other small décor get stored in covered bins in our basement.

The 8 spiral trees get disassembled and stored in our enclosed back porch/patio because I don't have anywhere else to put them.

I'll have 2 leaping arches and 3 firesticks for the first time this year, and I'll store those in the garage.  I might put a few large wide boards on the rafters and lay them on top of them so they're out of the way.

Sunlight and lots of fluorescent light (high in UV) are the enemy of Coro and many plastics  (note the yellowed color of stuff a few seasons old)..

Mice seem to LOVE the newer plastic wire insulation. Traps and cats 😛

• 2 weeks later...

After our MAJOR issues we had with the heat in the attic killing several props... We decided to play it safe and keep them inside.  So we have dedicated one of the spare bedrooms in the house to the light show. All of our props get taken down and stored in that room.

Obviously this is not the ideal situation... However we are currently in making plans for building our next house which will feature a 3,000 sq ft climate controlled walkout basement for storing and maintaining the props! :)

I keep trying to convince my wife that we should rent an off-site storage facility but so far she won't go for it.  😄 

Otherwise, everything breaks down into totes/bins that are stored in the attic above the garage.  Gets toasty in the summer but not so much that it damages anything.

I store most of the show in the attic where the peak temperatures was measured at 149 degrees (I have a temp monitor up there).  Never had a problem with anything (including a CTB16 that is powered up and used year round).  The wood strips that the GECE bulbs are mounted to get hung from hooks in the roof of my storage shed.  I’m not sure what I will do with the singing faces.  They are too big to get through the access hole into the attic and there really is not space for them in the shed.  Likely end up in the garage somewhere.

1 hour ago, jfuller8400 said:

I keep trying to convince my wife that we should rent an off-site storage facility but so far she won't go for it.  😄 

Otherwise, everything breaks down into totes/bins that are stored in the attic above the garage.  Gets toasty in the summer but not so much that it damages anything.

tried that but it got expensive, after a year or two we could have built a shed/workshop

We have a double shed in which we store our stuff.  I keep the controllers in the garage, but everything else goes in the shed.  All the cords and "chewable" things go in totes with lids and we've not had any issues.

I have a lot of wireframes and those get stored in my two 10x10 sheds. My controllers get stored inside the house in my spare closet.

nearly all my stuff breaks down to fit into the black tubs and yellow tops from costco and onto 2 big metal shelving units.  my window frames and candy cane spinners go on the ceiling of the garage, my controllers stay mounted on the wall of my garage year round, I did add a lot of bigger stuff this year and I may need to start thinking about a shed... my one big thing I don't know where I am going to put is my 20' tall chicken wire frame I use for the light pole in my front yard.