Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 Setup and Configuration step by step

dibblejr

26 minutes ago, fullyloaded318 said:

thank you for the awesome instructions... i got my lights to play in se but then when i go to make a show the sequence i just saved isnt found .... i saved it in the sequence folder under documents < light o rama < sequences.... i hope this is an easy fix as im not that computer savy lol

Answered in your other thread.

Alan...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you sooooooooo much JR you are a light GOD!!!! your write up saved me and i have a much better understanding now  and the lights or pixels are working ... thank you all sooooooooooooooo  much .. roll tide roll!!!!

1 hour ago, Bamaboy said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you sooooooooo much JR you are a light GOD!!!! your write up saved me and i have a much better understanding now  and the lights or pixels are working ... thank you all sooooooooooooooo  much .. roll tide roll!!!!

Happy it worked.

Did you have or use enhanced?

JR

well when i got to the network part and picked 500k  the enhance part was greyed out so i could not  click it  so no i didnt used it , but  i was able to set the id and test to a sequence and all worked fine for just that strip connected to port 1...  now my question is  i have five more  strips of 50 pixels  to connect to port 2 through 6  do i do it the same way ?

14 minutes ago, Bamaboy said:

well when i got to the network part and picked 500k  the enhance part was greyed out so i could not  click it  so no i didnt used it , but  i was able to set the id and test to a sequence and all worked fine for just that strip connected to port 1...  now my question is  i have five more  strips of 50 pixels  to connect to port 2 through 6  do i do it the same way ?

Enhanced was greyes out because you don’t have a pro license ( didn’t look at your profile but that’s the norm)

As far as trying to connect 250 pixels on port 2 (if reading correct) you will not get any lights past 100. Unless you added the pixie as a pixcon.

170 is max for the pixie and I believe the Pixcon16 as well.

As referenced in the step by step.

What pixie are you using?  you mention 2 ports so I am assuming a pixie2. I believe the pixie 2 does give you the option of selecting up to 170 pixels per port in both HU and while adding the device in SE.

You May find you will need “enhanced/ pro license”. If you have lag or other issues during a show.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

ok  sorry my mistake on not being clearer  I  have a pixie 16 d  it has 16 ports   i have 6 strips of pixel  with 50 pixels per strip i want to connect these to the ports 1 through 6  of the 16 port  controller board .. i have connected one strip already  and i wantto connect the other 5 strips .. if i have to get a pro license i will if need be .. but im just trying to go with the basic right now  if you like to call me  so i can explain better by all means ill give you my number  through email \

As long as you don’t notice problems you may be alright with your current license.

Later I will clear some messages and send you my contact info unless one of my great friends can send it to you.

JR

I received a 2nd generation pixie 8 replacement board because of a power supply failure. my red and blue channels are mixed up and no matter what I do I cannot get them right.  I tried all six combinations of RGB and they are all wrong.  I used the dip switches to set the unit ID and everything is good except the colors.  I have submitted a help ticket but do you have any suggestions in the mean time?

4 minutes ago, Frank Bolton said:

I received a 2nd generation pixie 8 replacement board because of a power supply failure. my red and blue channels are mixed up and no matter what I do I cannot get them right.  I tried all six combinations of RGB and they are all wrong.  I used the dip switches to set the unit ID and everything is good except the colors.  I have submitted a help ticket but do you have any suggestions in the mean time?

Using the dip switches to set the unit ID is not in any of the steps above.

Also which lights and voltage,?

Are all lights the same mfg and type?

Need more info but I would sug following all steps above. Turn the dip switches all off and do a reset. Hold the test button down, unplug the unit, continue to hold the button down, power unit up until the light starts flashing and release button.

Then follow the steps as above.

Keep us posted.

JR

The easiest way to test your RGB order is the Pixel Console in the HU. Once in the pixel console turn on the red leds only if blue lights up then the first color is B, Then turn on the green leds only if red lights up then you know your order will be BRG.

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The easiest way to test your RGB order is the Pixel Console in the HU. Once in the pixel console turn on the red leds only if blue lights up then the first color is B, Then turn on the green leds only if red lights up then you know your order will be BRG.

YES! What Mr. P said.

I JUST had to go through that process after FINALLY getting my Pixie II working. It's a new one with the dip switches. Upon arrival, since I was start everything from a clean slate this year (new computer dedicated to LOR only, first foray into RGB),  I updated to the  latest firmware (and SE 4.4.0). Pixie and Ribbons were NOT co-operating. I re-flashed the prior firmware and everything started working. Even being able to control the ribbons through HU. EXCEPT the lights were not responding to RGB. After going through the colors schemes 1 by 1, I figured out that they were BGR.

I have to add that i tried the reboot method and setting the color to the first one that came up but the colors seemed to shift on me.  I went through the 6 options at least three times. No matter what order i chose, the red an blue swapped.  I contacted the LOR help desk and they said that the controllers from gen 1 and Gen 2 on the pixie 8's were different and they are sending me a whole new controller.  I asked what difference that would make because the new board in the controller is not working now and it must be something in the setup but they insist it will correct the issue.  I think maybe the cords are wired differently.  I will let you know if the problem is solved Monday night.  For now, I have blue Christmas balls and red snowflakes.  Thanks for your help. 

8 minutes ago, Frank Bolton said:

For now, I have blue Christmas balls and red snowflakes.  Thanks for your help. 

Must be cold there.

Tried but I just couldn't resist.😀

I received a new box from LOR today with a 2nd generator pixie 8 controller and power supply.  I set the dip switches and hooked everything up.  I ran my test sequence and the unit works perfectly.  I didn't even look at the new controller with the hardware utility. Maybe updating the firmware would have worked.  Love the Smokies!! 

31 minutes ago, Frank Bolton said:

I received a new box from LOR today with a 2nd generator pixie 8 controller and power supply.  I set the dip switches and hooked everything up.  I ran my test sequence and the unit works perfectly.  I didn't even look at the new controller with the hardware utility. Maybe updating the firmware would have worked.  Love the Smokies!! 

You may still need the HU to set the RGB color order.

The problem with using the dip switches and it happensnall the time.

The user forgets so when he attempts to set the controller to a new unit ID and can’t they start panicking. LoL

JR

I have been working on mine for awhile and I have a question.   I have been running 48 channels through a LOR Show time Director.  I wanted to run the 16 25 pixie tree with the set up I already have.   So I upgraded to pro, watched some great tutorials and have created a good sequence on the Pixie Editor which took some time.  So I can play the sequence and see a visualization of my show in PE but I cant figure out how to get the show Ive created to load on to an SD card to run through my show time director.   It seems like the write up here works good for running from a PC but it seems like running through a show director is different.  Is there different steps for the director?  Did I get ahead of myself by creating a PE sequence, or do I have to start over?  Also on the unit ID,  does it conflict with the other standard controller if the pixie controller isnt reassigned?   Thank You!

What controllers?

What Gen controllers?

What unit IDs for those controllers?

How many networks?

What Director?

The answers to the above will help net you an self educated reply.

This writeuP is actually to configure the pixie series controllers and little to do with how to play a sequence but I and the others will do my best to help if I can.

The one thing I cannot assist you with is S5.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks for answering and any help you can give me.   I found some info and this is what I have:  3 CTB16PCg3  Gen 3 controllers.  #1 controls a mega tree type prop. #2 controls 4 little trees #3 controls 2 arches    1 network    1 mDM-MP3 mini director.  I dont  think Im running s5   I am currently running a pre built LOR show through showtime central, but I have added a TSO song to it.  

Thank you.

2 hours ago, redrockford said:

I forgot.  What I want to add is a Pixie 16D 2 Gen running a plug-n-show pixel tree 16X25  Thank You

What’s the question 

Following the above steps will get your pixie running.

JR

Edited by dibblejr