Light-O-Rama Forums

ctb16kpcv1 Hot Jumper or not?

steveV967

So over the past 4 years I've built 12 of the ctb16kpcv1 kits. On all of them I've left it with the Double Plug. I've questioned if I should keep it with the double plug or use the jumper and only use one plug.

What are the benefits or disadvantages to doing one way or the other?

Thanks.

A LOAD calc is needed (per controller)..

I am switching both mine to 1 AC cord as 80% of my loads are LED.The other 10% is C7 incan (maybe 100W total).

1 cord is easier to deal with than 2 (no cube tap or triple headed extensions). There is no down side as long as your load is less than 12A per box (12A id the 80% rule for a 15A plug/circuit)

Edited by TheDucks

Thanks everyone for the replies! 90% of what I'm running on these are LED strings, I can guarantee I'm not even close to 15 amps per box, even on the ones powering only incandescent mini bulbs. I'm saying this because I have two plugged into one circuit, another 5 plugged into another circuit, and two plugged into a third circuit. 

One is a spare and the new 2 will be on two other circuits.

I'll probably keep the 2nd power cable in the box, just not connected to any posts.

Thanks again for sharing your opinions. I appreciate it.

19 minutes ago, steveV967 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies! 90% of what I'm running on these are LED strings, I can guarantee I'm not even close to 15 amps per box, even on the ones powering only incandescent mini bulbs. I'm saying this because I have two plugged into one circuit, another 5 plugged into another circuit, and two plugged into a third circuit. 

One is a spare and the new 2 will be on two other circuits.

I'll probably keep the 2nd power cable in the box, just not connected to any posts.

Thanks again for sharing your opinions. I appreciate it.

I carefully removed the unused cable and stored them at the bottom of the power cord bin.  Yo don't really want loose wires floating AND it avoids the confusion on which cord, plus reduces weight.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:26 AM, Mr. P said:

I have seven CTB16PCs and I have converted all of them to single plug since I use all led lights.

I just built mine two weeks ago and now that I put both plugs in I decided to do the math. Yea 1 plug is all that is needed with LED’s. 

Not even sure how to get close to 15 amps with Leds. That would be one huge mega tree.....