Light-O-Rama Forums

Saving money

Mr. P

20 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Why am I spending all my money on LOR when all I need to do is get these brand new lights 🤣

https://www.yahoo.com/news/led-light-strip-just-philips-hue-90-model-131205870.html

Because you'd have to find a way to HACK them to make them work with the LOR SE and hardware.  Might be possible, might not.

I'd rather spend my money on WHAT I KNOW will work with my LOR Controllers and NOT have to do anything to them, except sequence and plug them into their respective controller.

Now all I need is for LOR to build a nice LOR Smart RGB Light of their iconic Light Bulb that I can install on my wall in the house, and it be set to pick up right off the LOR software running to show me whether my show is running {blue/White}, Show on Demand{Orange/White}or not running anything{Red/White}, and if it's not at all{no bulb icon in task bar} on I know  I forgot to load the CP and no lights will be controlled!  Done that last one a few times, just recently too I hate to admit!🤣🤣🤣

No sequencing required or needed, it's built right into the software to detect it!

Edited by Orville

Normally during the Holidays I change out the light bulbs, two on the garage and two on the front porch and put in colored bulbs such as red, green and blue. I can't control them but it adds seasonal color.

This year I purchased these Lohas RGB light bulbs and they are great. They are the brightest led bulbs that I have ever had. I can't control them with LOR but they are programmable, can do many functions and I can change the colors whenever I choose. I can also program them on a timer to go on and off, love them.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B078SQD6MQ/?coliid=IGSZCEYHX25MT&colid=61DMUXRRSCM3&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

35 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Normally during the Holidays I change out the light bulbs, two on the garage and two on the front porch and put in colored bulbs such as red, green and blue. I can't control them but it adds seasonal color.

This year I purchased these Lohas RGB light bulbs and they are great. They are the brightest led bulbs that I have ever had. I can't control them with LOR but they are programmable, can do many functions and I can change the colors whenever I choose. I can also program them on a timer to go on and off, love them.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B078SQD6MQ/?coliid=IGSZCEYHX25MT&colid=61DMUXRRSCM3&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My brother n law got this brand for the families swimming pool. Did you download the app?

We have 8 floods in the sides of the swimming pool. One of them stopped working a week after replacement but the others still work. I know he paid a lot for those. They are the flood style though.

The app is cool. I had the children thinking I was magic while my BIL and I was testing the remote while they were swimming. I would say "blue or any color I wanted" and the lights would change. One of the nephew's was bewildered and he is 14 or 15.

JR

Yes I downloaded the app. You can also control them with Amazon Alexa. I am now working on a way to control my show with Alexa; "Alexa, start my Christmas show."  😁

9 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Why am I spending all my money on LOR when all I need to do is get these brand new lights 🤣

https://www.yahoo.com/news/led-light-strip-just-philips-hue-90-model-131205870.html

If I didn't know any better, that sure looks like a "fake news" site... I would be very careful with that one.

Greg

10 hours ago, Mr. P said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuLiJSMCDXY

Figured out this problem a few years back with help from k6ccc's design he had done at his place.  Now I'm working on a new design using an ESPixel Stick wireless controller that should fit inside the pipe.  Still working on how to use a power adapter to pull power from the light socket instead of running wires. 

26 minutes ago, Little_b said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuLiJSMCDXY

Figured out this problem a few years back with help from k6ccc's design he had done at his place.  Now I'm working on a new design using an ESPixel Stick wireless controller that should fit inside the pipe.  Still working on how to use a power adapter to pull power from the light socket instead of running wires. 

Are you talking about a screw in outlet adapter,  it turns your porch/yard lamp into an female receptacle power outlet? 

If so, most hardware stores usually have them, Home Depot and Lowes both sell them.  They're found in the electrical department, they usually come in brown or off-white.  I use the brown ones.  They screw into the bulb socket like a standard light bulb, but the top is a single outlet, no ground though, just Hot and Neutral.   At least I've not seen a version that would accept a grounded plug.

I also have extender types I use that allow me 2 to 3 female receptacles and still use a bulb in the socket, but I've only seen these in an off-white color..

I've been using these type of adapters for years, my late father was using them when I was a child, so they've been around for a very long.

here's the link to the one Home Depot currently sells:

660-Watt Lamp Holder to Outlet Adapter, White

Checked a few sites, seems they may not make the brown ones any longer, don't know why, for us decorators brown is the better color to hide it after dark {black would be ideal, but I've never seen a black one}, but if a cord's coming out of a porch lamp, not going to hide that too well I suppose.

Edited by Orville
Add link to screw in adapter I'm referencing.

I wrote a Visual Basic program that can do basic color changing with the Phillips Hue lights that I have on the outside of my house.  I then have the Light O Rama sequencer call it from a windows command prompt to control those lights.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:55 AM, Mr. P said:

Yes I downloaded the app. You can also control them with Amazon Alexa. I am now working on a way to control my show with Alexa; "Alexa, start my Christmas show."  😁

I know with Alexa you can control a switch if you can control the switch then you can control the power going to you controllers. Actually after I read your statement seems pretty straight forward. That is if your running a showtime director a PC would be a little bit more complicated. 

• The topic was locked