Light-O-Rama Forums

What camera do you use?

thebaronn

Hello!

I have a JVC Everio HDD camcorder. While I love the ease of dragging and dropping files to my hard drive, the night time video (which is most important to LOR people when filming their masterpieces) sucks.

Im looking to buy something else (3K limit) and would like any feedback and if you have videos of your camera's abilities. Also when you took the video let me know of any special circumstances (filmed at dusk, filmed with a filter, etc..)

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Eric

Well last year I used my Canon S1 IS Camera to shoot the video as it did 640 x 480 and 30 fps. It was ok but, not the greatest. I'm curious to see how my new Camera does I purchased a Panasonic TZ5 that shoots 720p 16x9 HD video. I haven't shot anything at night yet with the video but, the day video is awesome.
However, I can see myself wanting something that is designed specifically for shooting video. One of my friends has an "HD" JVC Camera and it shoots tremendous video so I may use that as well just for comparision.
Whatever you choose I would say get something that is HD.

-Evan

The general recommendation in the past has always been to look for a cam with 3 ccd's (most consumer models are only 1 ccd).
CCD = Charge coupled device (the optical sensors)
This will preserve the color rendition at lower light levels since there is a seperate sensor for each of the primary colors. :(

Recording Christmas lights was low on my "must-have" list but we just ordered a Canon Vixia HF100. It should be here about Wednesday and I'll hopefully have something setup next weekend to see how it records at night. Like I said, Christmas lights weren't a priority but I'm hopeful it does well. :(

I'll be sure to report back how it does. (it has only one CCD btw)

Funny you should mention JVC Everio 3 CCD camera. I've been on the market for a 3 ccd camera and investigating so many web pages. Getting very confused and really looking at what I can afford made it more difficult. JVC stood out as the most for my money and it has the manual programs that I felt I would need. Like Stars and moon and a Manuel focus. Well, My Wife and me in June was celebrating our 25th Anniversary going to New York and leave on a cruise from Manhattan to the Virgin Island. Yea it was wonderful. In ST. Thomas I've always heard from friends how cheap electronics was, Wrong! It least where I looked. It was full price. To make along story shorter, when we got back to reno I looked in best Buy and this camera was almost $300.00 off . Wow, but it was the floor model without accessories. So on line again found this cam in Manhattan N.Y. For more then $300.00 off, and every thing included. And I probably walked past that store! Manhattan rocks ! So any how I set up one of my firestorms in the garage along with strobe lights and video them. So far I'm very hopeful for some outstanding memories to be made. This Labor weekend our Friends and And Family are going to Lake Tahoe, and planning to put this camera to another test. Filming fireworks from our boat.Works doing that it will work with Christmas, But so far I fill good about this purchase. This Camera very affordable at $630.00