Light-O-Rama Forums

Should be simple, but

Calhoun lights

Ok, I’m tired of trying to figure this out, help please. Installed 4.2.6 advanced on an older windows system to serve as a show computer. All the sequences that looked fine on the laptop they were built on, how look off. The sequence plays fine but the channel buttons do not line up with the channel rows. There is an space between the timing row and the first row of programming. Can’t select anywhere on this row. Any ideas?
THanks

Can you post a screen capture so we can see what you mean.

BTW, for years I also ran an older desktop with Windows XP as my show computer.  Worked fine - although I don’t normally do any significant sequencing on the show computer.

Sorry, here’s a photo the the screen, no internet in the “Christmas Magic Shop” aka the garden shed.

38C6B2AF-602B-418D-A7E2-491D904BCBE6.jpeg

I have not moved unit 1 yet, could the fact that unit 1 is not connected be the problem. My plan for this year is to run cat five from the computer to a E1.31 controller, then on to light o Rama unit 2 and then on to unit 1. Running the lot box with E1.31. Hope this will work.

That photo does look odd. Don’t have a good explanation for that.  However something you said raised a huge red flag.  Your E1.31 controller connects via an Ethernet LAN, whereas your other controllers will be on a RS-485 network with a USB to RS-485 adapter.  The two networks do not mix - potentially causing a release of the magic blue smoke that makes all electronics work.

Also note you must have at least an Advanced level LOR license in order to use E1.31.  I see you show that you have an Advanced, so this info mainly for others reading this thread.

That looks like a wrong screen resolution wrap. note the time line has wrapped, shoving the rest down.  Check the video resolution, it may be too low (Old vid cards might not support XVGA levels)

Thanks for the info, will check on the resolution in the morning, cold and raining here.

Jim I need to expand on my idea of a new set up. I wasn’t planing on installing the RS 485 adapter. I plan on using E1.31 to control the two LOR generation 3’s controllers. I’m unsure if I can just daisy chain cat 5 between them. Also concerned about the physical layout,  to make the best use of the CAT 5. Will start at the computer, short run to E1.31 controller, another short run from the DMX output to LOR unit 2, really long run +100 feet to LOR controller 1, then on again to several DMX dumb controllers.

1 minute ago, Calhoun lights said:

Jim I need to expand on my idea of a new set up. I wasn’t planing on installing the RS 485 adapter. I plan on using E1.31 to control the two LOR generation 3’s controllers. I’m unsure if I can just daisy chain cat 5 between them.

Yes, you can, but it requires that capability in your E1.31 controller.  IF your E1.31 controller can output DMX over RS-485, then yes, you can control the LOR controllers.  A lot of E1.31 controllers have the ability to drive a DMX universe as an RS-485 output.  Then that would get connected via Cat-5 cable to the first controller and then daisy chained to the second LOR controller.  The DMX spec says that you can have up to 32 devices on the RS-485 network with up to 4,000 cable feet.  You could later add any other DMX devices to that DMX over RS-485 network.  If you read the manual for the LOR controllers, it will explain how to address them for DMX operation.  My suggestion would be to use a different color Cat-5 cable for Ethernet vs RS-485 to help avoid  mixing them up.  Personally Blue is my "normal" home LAN, White and Gray are WiFi networks #1 and #2, Green is E1.31, and Purple is RS-485.  Other colors are use for some other stuff.

You absolutely can not directly control your LOR controllers over Ethernet.

18 hours ago, TheDucks said:

That looks like a wrong screen resolution wrap. note the time line has wrapped, shoving the rest down.  Check the video resolution, it may be too low (Old vid cards might not support XVGA levels)

Just wanted to follow up,  this was the problem. Changed the resolution and everything was good. 

Thanks to all that took time to respond 

Bob

• The topic was locked