Light-O-Rama Forums

started setting up this weekend

rcktpwrd

Just now, rcktpwrd said:

LOL you got that right! I think we have gone through about 6000 so far!

I keep a 30 gal tote full of them, various sizes (4" for pixel strips, 8" for most props, and 14" for times when 8''s is just not enough :) ).

1 hour ago, caniac said:

I keep a 30 gal tote full of them, various sizes (4" for pixel strips, 8" for most props, and 14" for times when 8''s is just not enough :) ).

yep -  &14" are perfect for strobe strings to gutter down spouts... sparkle sparkle sparkle

8 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

man oh man! That's close. stay safe...……..

Let's just say we were watching it pretty closely.  The fire was not burning towards us.  8 hours ago that fire was 35,000 acres with a bunch of building lost.  I get demobilized Saturday so only loosing the one day for setup...

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Let's just say we were watching it pretty closely.  The fire was not burning towards us.  8 hours ago that fire was 35,000 acres with a bunch of building lost.  I get demobilized Saturday so only loosing the one day for setup...

Steve's son was deployed to the fire. Prayers for him and a safe return.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

With two days lost (one for the fire, and one for a friends wedding - how dare he schedule his wedding on my first setup day), and a bunch of new or re-built stuff taking A LOT of time, I am running way behind.  The rebuilt 24 x 100 pixel will go up tomorrow morning (it's my 9/80 schedule day off).  For opening night, the new Singing faces will just be leaning against the front of the house instead of on the roof where intended, and I suspect I will only have the P10 Tune-To sign working.  The P5 Tune-To sign likely won't happen until next weekend.  I'm going to have a busy Thursday and Friday...

Lights are hung. channel mix-ups corrected. defective strings substituted, loose connections fixed.

I have the only lights in the neighborhood at this time, so no show is running.

A couple very long days, but the 24 x 100 pixel tree is up and working.  Damn it looks good!  A couple little issues in my engineering, but nothing that can't wait until teardown.  I do have one dead strip, but it was working when tested a couple weeks ago, so I am assuming that I did not get it plugged into the SanDevices E682 correctly.  But too tired to haul out the big ladder this evening to check it.  Gonna have to keep a watch on the power supply box as it's warm.  I have a remote temperature probe in the top of the box so not too hard to keep a watch on it.  May have to add some forced air ventilation in that box.  That was somewhat expected however...

There is now enough of the show set up to run it.  A couple more things that I want to get up before opening on Friday, but none critical.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

A couple very long days, but the 24 x 100 pixel tree is up and working.  Damn it looks good!  A couple little issues in my engineering, but nothing that can't wait until teardown.  I do have one dead strip, but it was working when tested a couple weeks ago, so I am assuming that I did not get it plugged into the SanDevices E682 correctly.  But too tired to haul out the big ladder this evening to check it.  Gonna have to keep a watch on the power supply box as it's warm.  I have a remote temperature probe in the top of the box so not too hard to keep a watch on it.  May have to add some forced air ventilation in that box.  That was somewhat expected however...

There is now enough of the show set up to run it.  A couple more things that I want to get up before opening on Friday, but none critical.

Nice, had to push mine back to 1 Dec.

SSD Samsung Evo crashed my sequencing computer.

So since Thursday I am down to no useable computer since I am using the Samsung recovery tool.

Strange it doesn’t work in the sequencing laptop but I can use as a usb device in desktop.

This happened 2 days after MS forced update.

Glad your show is up and running.

had to fire Santa Clause contractor to hang my RGB outline lights. Got on CL and got some real workers.

Santa Clause cost me a bunch of work, he used a 100% accurate satellite image to give me the measurements of my rakes- peaks.

the problem just by looking at the satellite imagery I could tell that some measurements were not going to be close.

A peak 25’ over my front door was sup to be 11’10” was only 7’7” 

Im just hoping the only accurate reading will be my 2 longest at 21’6”. If they are longer more pipe cutting and soldering to do. 

JR

I do almost all of it myself.  My two boys help some and a friend came over today for about 6 hours.  After that there was not really much where I could keep him active.  He even did a Home Depot run for me to get a piece of UniStrut.  He would not even let me pay him back - called it his donation to the show...

• Like 2

This cold weather has been killing my enthusiasm.  Today is another misty cold day where its not getting above freezing until 11am.       

3 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

This cold weather has been killing my enthusiasm.  Today is another misty cold day where its not getting above freezing until 11am.       

All weekend, I was wearing a T-Shirt during the day.  After dark, added an unbuttoned flannel shirt.  Now why is it that I live in Southern California?  Oh yea, the weather....

14 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

All weekend, I was wearing a T-Shirt during the day.  After dark, added an unbuttoned flannel shirt.  Now why is it that I live in Southern California?  Oh yea, the weather....

For me, this is the worst year in the last 10 for set up weather.    We had snow which took two days to melt preventing work on the roof and grass.   The forecast looks good for tomorrow but thursday 90% rain.     

I feel better knowing at least you are in setup weather nirvana 🤥

Smoke from the 'Camp' fire is still pretty bad here. Near freezing in the A.M. and everything in the house decided to break ( Bathroom exhaust, Hydronic pump developed a weak capacitor  with UPS sending the part  via a side trip to Sacto from the Bay Area feeder, So lots of early AM garage trips , making sure the motor was spinning.)

I am going to adjust some timings (animated only) over the next few days, as they don't look that good in real life.

Stay WARM, Stay SAFE

9 hours ago, caniac said:

are you still going live 5pm Friday?  Have Annie text the address if you are.

That's the plan!

• The topic was locked