Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
rcktpwrd

started setting up this weekend

Recommended Posts

redoing the patio columns onto plastic mesh:
RxRWMmBl.jpg

lryoGGgl.jpg

In the past we wrapped the lights around the columns.

some of the trees in the yard, we light 29:
X2ZY3zpl.jpg

qnxBW8Kl.jpg

last year we went from wrapping the lights around the trees (this took an hour plus on some trees) to using the plastic mesh. It took a long time and lots of zipties to put the lights on the mesh. But the payoff is, take down took a minute or two per tree! Install this year took 5-10 minutes per tree! We left room to add more lights to the bottom of many trees.

our mega tree:
CiMp1KLl.jpg

tl4RAeol.jpg

Edited by rcktpwrd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had rain Thursday and Friday so I just finished tearing down Halloween today. Now they are saying rain Tue, Wed, Thur, and Fri this week, what the hey!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rain here today as well and then dropping temps for the rest of the week.  But I got a lot done yesterday at least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its rained here almost every day since HAlloween late night. Yesterday was the first dry day so yesterday turned the inflatables on to air out. Today was able to get all Halloween props down and away. As soon as the last one (my pixel webb) hit the ground it started raining. Lucky for me.

One more grass cutting day and then contractor will come to hang up my rgb house outline and then I start setting up for Christmas.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be taking Halloween down tomorrow. I'm a night shift nurse and I have had to work all weekend, so this is my first chance to take it down. Then, I've decided to change what I'm doing for Christmas, again. My sons will be THRILLED! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only lights that get put up for Halloween are the GE Color Effects lights on the eves and they are also used for Christmas, so nothing to take down.  Saturday, I did not get anything done because a friend had the audacity to schedule his wedding on my first setup day.  Today, got the yard mowed and raked up so I could set up the arches and perimeter string.  After I hooked up the arches (six strings of CCPs), the Hardware Utility could not see any of them.  A while of troubleshooting later and I found that Cat-5 going to the first CCP controller was not plugged in completely.  Plugged it in and working fine.  The perimeter string (50 GECE bulbs) went in perfectly.

Tomorrow, the singing faces go up.  And the annual waterproofing of the brick columns.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmm, doesn't look level!  :) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use plastic or metal mesh on as much as possible, saves a huge amount of time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Christmas 2018Christmas 2018Christmas 2018

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started last weekend as well, got a lot of the house stuff done. Worked last 3 nights getting all the controllers put up and power cords run to them. Will get all the house stuff hooked to controllers tonight after work and then the snow rolls in tonight. 1 " or so on the grassy areas is the forcast for tonight. This is shaping up to be one of the coldest setups I can remember. I am on vacation for the next 2 weeks to finish things up. Highs next week in the low to mid 30's brrrrr.

 

Wayne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

I started last weekend as well, got a lot of the house stuff done. Worked last 3 nights getting all the controllers put up and power cords run to them. Will get all the house stuff hooked to controllers tonight after work and then the snow rolls in tonight. 1 " or so on the grassy areas is the forcast for tonight. This is shaping up to be one of the coldest setups I can remember. I am on vacation for the next 2 weeks to finish things up. Highs next week in the low to mid 30's brrrrr.

 

Wayne

had that kind of fun in Nebraska, only plus side was if we had everything setup before the snow came in then the snow covered all the power cords.  Made it look magical sorta!  Snow are cords are ok but when the snow melts not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't stop raining here, I am getting so far behind.  🤬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we plan on hitting it hard this weekend, new pixel trees are in place and grass mowed short.  May mow it again on a lower setting before we kick it into high gear.  Have mega tree to setup, new mini trees, umbrella trees, RGB arches, plus a few other goodies.  My fun time is when I have it out and fire it up for the first time.  Not so fun time when the wife say "that ain't gonna work" and we start moving stuff around.  For whatever reason what looks good in the House Preview seldom looks good in reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a bit more done yesterday after work...

Icicles and C9s:

fSZyCw5l.jpg

szkAR26l.jpg

 

Candy Canes along the railings:

pQay2m5l.jpg

 

One of 5 stars hanging above the railings:

kclvseDl.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I hope this does not screw up my setup weekend.  I just got called to deploy as part of a communications team for a fast moving brush fire about an hour northwest of Los Angeles.  Hopefully the two of us going out tonight will get stuff set up and then get relieved tomorrow.  I’ve got a light show to get set up!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Well, I hope this does not screw up my setup weekend.  I just got called to deploy as part of a communications team for a fast moving brush fire about an hour northwest of Los Angeles.  Hopefully the two of us going out tonight will get stuff set up and then get relieved tomorrow.  I’ve got a light show to get set up!

I'm going to at least lose Saturday.  My view from a staging location in the parking lot of a Costco at 01:30 Friday morning.  The fire is about a half mile away (not burning towards us).

Hill_Fire.jpg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

man oh man! That's close. stay safe...……..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck and stay safe out there k6ccc!

 

Got a box of supplies today:

yJD03Ewl.jpg

about 2000 zipties!  :)

Edited by rcktpwrd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rcktpwrd said:

Good luck and stay safe out there k6ccc!

 

Got a box of supplies today:

yJD03Ewl.jpg

about 2000 zipties!  :)

not enough!! :) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, caniac said:

not enough!! :) 

LOL you got that right! I think we have gone through about 6000 so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rcktpwrd said:

LOL you got that right! I think we have gone through about 6000 so far!

I keep a 30 gal tote full of them, various sizes (4" for pixel strips, 8" for most props, and 14" for times when 8''s is just not enough :) ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caniac said:

I keep a 30 gal tote full of them, various sizes (4" for pixel strips, 8" for most props, and 14" for times when 8''s is just not enough :) ).

yep -  &14" are perfect for strobe strings to gutter down spouts... sparkle sparkle sparkle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

man oh man! That's close. stay safe...……..

Let's just say we were watching it pretty closely.  The fire was not burning towards us.  8 hours ago that fire was 35,000 acres with a bunch of building lost.  I get demobilized Saturday so only loosing the one day for setup...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Let's just say we were watching it pretty closely.  The fire was not burning towards us.  8 hours ago that fire was 35,000 acres with a bunch of building lost.  I get demobilized Saturday so only loosing the one day for setup...

 

Steve's son was deployed to the fire. Prayers for him and a safe return.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had some help in the yard today:

hRhHe1Cl.jpg

😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×