Light-O-Rama Forums

New controller for 18', question about testing.

JPat

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If you are running 4. anything

Look at your channel config

Go to 

Tools

Channel config

don't make any changes but scroll through your controllers and ensure they are what they are sup to be (scroll bar on right)

JR

image.thumb.png.684ca465f96ad054364d0531b066e73d.png

If I may jump in here, looking at your screen shot above it looks like you have several LOR programs open (SE, VI, CP, HU).

When you are trying to run the arches keep the Control Panel open and SE open, close all other LOR programs especially HU. Only one program can use the assigned comm port and if you have other LOR programs open one of them, such as the HU, may be using the comm port.

Ok

Now back down to the sequence

Now go to Network Preferences

Control Panel - right click on light bulb

3 tabs- LOR/ DMX/ MISC

If you have never been there before and it doesn't look like a spread sheet click on the "advanced" button on the right

What  does the network com port and speed say?

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

If I may jump in here, looking at your screen shot above it looks like you have several LOR programs open (SE, VI, CP, HU).

When you are trying to run the arches keep the Control Panel open and SE open, close all other LOR programs especially HU. Only one program can use the assigned comm port and if you have other LOR programs open one of them, such as the HU, may be using the comm port.

Beat me to it, but I was over looking it anyway.

A picture is worth a thousand words. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

13 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I will give that a shot tomorrow morning again, but that upon the first trial, I only opened the SE and ran the song.  The programs are closed and only the ones with the blue lines are opened.

2 minutes ago, JPat said:

I will give that a shot tomorrow morning again, but that upon the first trial, I only opened the SE and ran the song.  The programs are closed and only the ones with the blue lines are opened.

If the blue lines dictate what is open then Control Panel needs to be open.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Thank you, and I will give that a shot.

11 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Mr. P, thanks for the info.  At first it did not work with SE and CP open, but closed SE and re-opened and viola we had function.  I had totally forgot that the CP should be open when running a sequence being that I don't use it often and running my yearly show off the mini director/SD card.

I also want to thank all that replied.  I know that a lot of people now use FB, but I am still a forum guy at heart.  

Now, back to adding the new elements to the other 12 songs in our show.... :)

I think I may see the issues: I DO NOT see the LOR Iconic bulb in the lower right quadrant on the task bar, if it's not there, then the SE WILL NOT CONTROL LIGHTS, even with the Control Lights checked, the LOR Control Panel MUST BE LOADED first

Close SE, and all other LOR Programs, then click on the LOR CP program, you should see a tab appear at the bottom of your screen on the taskbar, if you click on it, you'll see info in there, this is the COMM Listener, without this in operation, the SE WON'T LIGHT ANYTHING no matter what's checked in it.   NOTE: However, the HWU WILL control lights WITHOUT the CP being loaded, it's the ONLY one I'm aware of that WILL CONTROL LIGHTS WITHOUT the Comm Listener being in operation!

Since the HWU is a test program it bypasses this requirement, this is so you can test your controllers, even if the LOR software isn't loaded.

Load the CP, then run the SE, as everything I see in your screen shot is correct and the lights on your arches will work with the way it's set, but without the Comm Listening, the SE has no way of knowing it's supposed to be controlling the controller or your lights.

Doesn't matter how many controllers or ID # it is, as long as your license supports that ID #, you're good, and when you place controllers, they DO NOT have to be placed in numerical sequence, i.e. 1,2,3,4 they can be 2,4,1,3...1,3,4,2...4,3,2,1  any combination as long as your license supports it.  If any of them were labeled as unit 5 or above, your license would reject it, since Basic + only allows 4 controllers and will only recognize 1,2,3 and 4.

Hope this helps resolve your issue, but from what I'm seeing this looks to be the problem to me, if the LOR Bulb icon isn't visible, chances are your software isn't loaded to control lights through the SE, it'll still run and play the song, but again, even if lights checked, if the LOR bulb isn't there, no lights will ever come on

Surprised no one else noticed the LOR Bulb wasn't there!

Sorry, didn't know others had replied about this already, I only saw the first page of comments and the OP's screen shot, which generated my response.

Edited by Orville
Add last comment line, wasn't aware issue had been resolved. Ah well, a day late and a few thousand short of buying new LOR toys. ;)

Load the CP, then run the SE, as everything I see in your screen shot is correct and the lights on your arches will work with the way it's set, but without the Comm Listening, the SE has no way of knowing it's supposed to be controlling the controller or your lights.

Hello, and just posted seconds before you above.  This was it and all good now as well as appreciate your assistance.

Edited by JPat
additional info

16 minutes ago, JPat said:

Hello, and just posted seconds before you above.  This was it and all good now as well as appreciate your assistance.

Afraid I tend to go into more detail and explanations than most folks around here, mainly because when I was a Newbie to this in 2010, short answers didn't give me the help I needed to fully understand something, so if it can be explained in short detail, I'll try and do it, but many times, when I do that, someone always has more questions on the same matter that wasn't in my answer.

Got into this habit when I had to detail how to assemble stuff when I wrote MPP's {Manufacturing Process Plans} for the assembly-line personnel to make their job as simple as possible, unfortunately that usually ended up with longer detailed plans than what was wanted by most of the techs and engineers, but they soon found out my detailed info saved the company tons of money, because they didn't have to go back to the assembly line, make changes, redo the entire process just to get someone to understand it.

So, yep, I may get to be long-winded at times, but it's not only to help the original poster, but others that may wander into the subject with similar issues and not quite get it 100%.    But sometimes even those detailed directions/explanations some folks just can't grasp, that's when it becomes a challenge to get them to understand how things work. LOL

But very happy you got the issue resolved, I knew what the issue was the moment I saw your screen shot.  

I've done that to myself too, did it just a couple days ago, unloaded LOR to run some other software and forgot to reload the CP, loaded SE and nothing was lighting up.  Took me a minute or two to realize what I hadn't done.🤣  

So, yes, even us old timers {although I'm not that old, only since 2010} make that mistake from time to time too.:wacko::D

Edited by Orville

2 hours ago, Orville said:

Afraid I tend to go into more detail and explanations than most folks around here, mainly because when I was a Newbie to this in 2010, short answers didn't give me the help I needed to fully understand something, so if it can be explained in short detail, I'll try and do it, but many times, when I do that, someone always has more questions on the same matter that wasn't in my answer.

Got into this habit when I had to detail how to assemble stuff when I wrote MPP's {Manufacturing Process Plans} for the assembly-line personnel to make their job as simple as possible, unfortunately that usually ended up with longer detailed plans than what was wanted by most of the techs and engineers, but they soon found out my detailed info saved the company tons of money, because they didn't have to go back to the assembly line, make changes, redo the entire process just to get someone to understand it.

So, yep, I may get to be long-winded at times, but it's not only to help the original poster, but others that may wander into the subject with similar issues and not quite get it 100%.    But sometimes even those detailed directions/explanations some folks just can't grasp, that's when it becomes a challenge to get them to understand how things work. LOL

But very happy you got the issue resolved, I knew what the issue was the moment I saw your screen shot.  

I've done that to myself too, did it just a couple days ago, unloaded LOR to run some other software and forgot to reload the CP, loaded SE and nothing was lighting up.  Took me a minute or two to realize what I hadn't done.🤣  

So, yes, even us old timers {although I'm not that old, only since 2010} make that mistake from time to time too.:wacko::D

By all means, feel free to provide as much detail as you did on any reply to me.  It is definitely appreciated.  

• The topic was locked