Light-O-Rama Forums

New controller for 18', question about testing.

JPat

I have connected my new controller, set the ID and tested in the Hardware utility.  That said, I attempted to see what my arches would look like in a sequence (reason for the additional controller), but does not light in sequence.  This is controller 4 and the only one that I had plugged in at the time.  Is that the issue?  Do I need to have controller one or the others attached for it to play this controller in a sequence?

Only 1 controller is fine, any valid ID (for you license level). You should be good.

I am assuming this is a AC or CMB24 (types that consume 1 ID).

Sorry, Can't help you with LOR 5.x

17 minutes ago, JPat said:

I have connected my new controller, set the ID and tested in the Hardware utility.  That said, I attempted to see what my arches would look like in a sequence (reason for the additional controller), but does not light in sequence.  This is controller 4 and the only one that I had plugged in at the time.  Is that the issue?  Do I need to have controller one or the others attached for it to play this controller in a sequence?

If you explain with more detail, what controller, how are you connecting it.

Your network is probably not correct.

With holiday lighting there is no such thing as to much information. The more you provide the better for a better answer.

Whats the 18'? Tree height, Arch length?

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 hours ago, 75redman said:

If you're just playing it through SE make sure control lights tab is checked.

First thing that I checked.

Edited by JPat

2 minutes ago, JPat said:

First thing that I checked.  HU shows connection as I can control the lights, but when running a sequence no action.

HU test means almost absolutely nothing - mostly confirms "your lights work". What counts is the channel config.

Do not rely on HU for anything but to test that your light work in HU. As soon as you close that HU door, its another world.

Redman is talking about Control Lights in the SE under the "Play" tab. But as I stated communicating with HU is entirely different than your sequence talking to the controllers and making the light work.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Only 1 controller is fine, any valid ID (for you license level). You should be good.

I am assuming this is a AC or CMB24 (types that consume 1 ID).

Sorry, Can't help you with LOR 5.x

I have 4 controllers now, this is the latest edition.  I didn't upgrade any software with my recent purchase of the controller, so have no idea why that changed.

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If you explain with more detail, what controller, how are you connecting it.

Your network is probably not correct.

With holiday lighting there is no such thing as to much information. The more you provide the better for a better answer.

Whats the 18'? Tree height, Arch length?

JR

I previously had 3 controllers the last two years and purchased a 4th this year.  I received it, set the unit id to 4 and tested communication.  I have added the 4th controller to my channel configuration and have been programming in the new elements of two 7 channel arches.  Today I built one arch and plugged in 1-7 channels of the new fourth controller.   I attempted to run a sequence and had no action.

New controller for 18' was my attempt to say that I added a new controller for 2018.

9 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

HU test means almost absolutely nothing - mostly confirms "your lights work". What counts is the channel config.

Do not rely on HU for anything but to test that your light work in HU. As soon as you close that HU door, its another world.

Redman is talking about Control Lights in the SE under the "Play" tab. But as I stated communicating with HU is entirely different than your sequence talking to the controllers and making the light work.

JR

The Control Lights is checked in SE and understand what he was saying.  I was trying to communicate the HU was used to set the ID to 4.

2 minutes ago, JPat said:

I previously had 3 controllers the last two years and purchased a 4th this year.  I received it, set the unit id to 4 and tested communication.  I have added the 4th controller to my channel configuration and have been programming in the new elements of two 7 channel arches.  Today I built one arch and plugged in 1-7 channels of the new fourth controller.   I attempted to run a sequence and had no action.

New controller for 18' was my attempt to say that I added a new controller for 2018.

Basic = 2 controllers Basic+ = 4 controllers. If you have just basic you shouldn't have been able to use 3 controllers last year and no 4th this year.

Do you have the basic or B+ since the previous statement is confusing or I am missing something

JR

1 minute ago, JPat said:

The Control Lights is checked in SE and understand what he was saying.  I was trying to communicate the HU was used to set the ID to 4.

Still, if your network is not configured properly HU means nothing.

How old are your other controllers? Gen?

Just now, dibblejr said:

Basic = 2 controllers Basic+ = 4 controllers. If you have just basic you shouldn't have been able to use 3 controllers last year and no 4th this year.

Do you have the basic or B+ since the previous statement is confusing or I am missing something

JR

I did not change my license when I purchased the new controller, and the LOR rep said that there was no need.  I purchased 3 controllers back in 16' and my license is Basic Plus.

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Still, if your network is not configured properly HU means nothing.

How old are your other controllers? Gen?

Purchased Nov. of 2016.  

1 minute ago, JPat said:

Purchased Nov. of 2016.  

what do the older controllers say on the controller by the Light O Rama name it should say ctb16 … gen

You hope to see all of them say CTB16 Gen3

JR

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

what do the older controllers say on the controller by the Light O Rama name it should say ctb16 … gen

You hope to see all of them say CTB16 Gen3

JR

Just pulled one down and yes, G3.

That got back to my original question. do I need more or the 1st controller before just connecting the 4th to my computer for testing?

Edited by JPat

Since I do not use S5 I will ask you these and you can elaborate

When you add a device in S4 you right click on a channel in a sequence

Add Device

Above or below

Name the device

select to use the predetermined channels list (I normally uncheck this)

Create a group opyion

Select the device in this case CTB16

Select the unit ID

Select the network 

Add

Then it adds it to the sequence.

JR

1 minute ago, JPat said:

Just pulled one down and yes, G3.

That got back to my original question. do I need more or the 1st controller before just connecting the 4th to my computer for testing?

No, you can test/ use for a show  any controller independent as long as it is connected via your network assigned and you have a sequence written to that specific controller.

JR

If you did everything above that is required in S5 did you write the sequence to the controller?

For tests just open the sequence with that controller4

place your mouse in channel 1 first grid square

drag your mouse to bottom grid square

right click in the highlighted area and select rows 

right click "turn on"

That should turn on the entire sequence for that controller

Not trying to insult you, just trying to ensure you haven't missed something

JR

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Since I do not use S5 I will ask you these and you can elaborate

When you add a device in S4 you right click on a channel in a sequence

Add Device

Above or below

Name the device

select to use the predetermined channels list (I normally uncheck this)

Create a group opyion

Select the device in this case CTB16

Select the unit ID

Select the network 

Add

Then it adds it to the sequence.

JR

I think the issue may be the software.  I have no idea why my info shows the software version of 5+, as I have done nothing to do so and my initial purchase shows that I have 4.3.*

I do have to say that my daughter added the new controller to the channel configuration, so I am not 100% sure how she did it.  Opening the channel configuration does show each of the new channels associated with the new controller.

Just now, JPat said:

I think the issue may be the software.  I have no idea why my info shows the software version of 5+, as I have done nothing to do so and my initial purchase shows that I have 4.3.*

I do have to say that my daughter added the new controller to the channel configuration, so I am not 100% sure how she did it.  Opening the channel configuration does show each of the new channels associated with the new controller.

If you are running 4. anything

Look at your channel config

Go to 

Tools

Channel config

don't make any changes but scroll through your controllers and ensure they are what they are sup to be (scroll bar on right)

JR