Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving head snow covers?

kiplorenzo

Hi Gang, 

So I have been looking around and found some great moving heads that I want to incorporate in 2020's show (replacing the deck on the front of the house and the electrical systems lived there) What I need to find is some dome covers for moving heads as we get lots of snow and rain in colorado. The prices I am seeing are around 650-1500.00 each. Is there a supplier that you might have that has them? I'm also interested in the inflatable covers but would like some feedback on how those handle heavy snow or rain and sometimes hail. 

Thanks 

Kip

19 hours ago, kiplorenzo said:

Hi Gang, 

So I have been looking around and found some great moving heads that I want to incorporate in 2020's show (replacing the deck on the front of the house and the electrical systems lived there) What I need to find is some dome covers for moving heads as we get lots of snow and rain in colorado. The prices I am seeing are around 650-1500.00 each. Is there a supplier that you might have that has them? I'm also interested in the inflatable covers but would like some feedback on how those handle heavy snow or rain and sometimes hail. 

Thanks 

Kip

I know they exist because I have seen more than a few video's with them in it.  One that comes to mind is from Tom BetGeorge but he lives in sunny CA so not Colorado tested.  You might want to see if they make an acrylic fish bowl and large.  Might also look at the FB LOR/xLights groups because someone recently posted a pic of a six head unit they made using plywood for mounting and what looked like large plastic globes (light variety, maybe commercial).

• 4 months later...

I myself am looking for a video on how to make the dome covers and a parts list of what is needed to build them.

I have big tubs that I have to cover up the lights with and bungee cord them to the ground when it rains or snows, aggravating I cannot use the lights when it rains or snows.

The ones I have seen are as you mentioned very expensive.

If anyone sees or has a way to build these dome covers I would love to hear from them..

Thanks in advance.

I have seen the inflatable ones on the net, which are cheaper than the hard plastic. i've thought about approaching a plastics manufacturer here in Denver as I think it might be less expensive. I have seen some people use wood, metal and flexible Plexiglass to make a multi cover dome (where you have more than 1 set of the moving heads in them... those don't look so hard, however, I am not going to put 3 or 4 of these lights together, I'm wanting to space them out in the yard or along the front Deck. If anyone has any ideas of building a single DYI dome for one of these (and I have thought about the inexpensive window well covers also) Please reach out. 650.00 for a dome cover for these lights each is a bit ridiculous when I know it doesn't cost that much to make one. 

Thx

Kip

• 1 month later...

I'm adding moving heads to my display this year and the heads will be mounted on several poles I use for other props as well. In reviewing all the options, I will either use a "kiddy" plastic snow discs or fabricate something similar out of galvanized steel if I can't find them before Halloween. The diameter of the sleds are large enough that it will act as a large umbrella, in fact so large, may end up trimming them down. We don't get snow in our area of California,. but the rainy season is during the holidays and get some pretty heavy windy storms and feel confident this will work just fine