Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb RGB Flood Extension Cords

bryan.hurley5

On 11/4/2018 at 4:35 AM, bryan.hurley5 said:

I want to wire up my house with my new eight 10w light o rama dumb rgb floods. However, they will not be able to reach my CMB24D board. I have seen pre built extension cables on various websites but they too are pretty short. What does everyone use? Do you just use 4 conductor wire and splice them together? Or do you use the pre built cables?

Bryan

I used cat5 cable for my 30 floods. Been working since 2012.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vince4xmas said:

Does anyone have a manual for the LOR 10watt floods?

There is none.

You hook them up to a CMB24D (Dumb RGB) controller running 12V on the bank supplying the floods.

The R, G, B lines go to the terminals that sink to the - (Gnd) the other (black), goes to +12V

No User settings or service parts inside the floods.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:58 PM, Santas Helper said:

I used cat5 cable for my 30 floods. Been working since 2012.

Didn't think about this. Cable is pretty cheap also. Thank you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bryan.hurley5 said:

Didn't think about this. Cable is pretty cheap also. Thank you

CAT5 conductors are 26ga. even doubling up (use the pair as 1 circuit), that is kind of light (equiv 22-24ga) for almost 1A.

The wire in the stock pigtails, looks to be 20ga.  CAT6 might be a better choice as it uses a bit heavier gauge.

55 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

CAT5 conductors are 26ga. even doubling up (use the pair as 1 circuit), that is kind of light (equiv 22-24ga) for almost 1A.

The wire in the stock pigtails, looks to be 20ga.  CAT6 might be a better choice as it uses a bit heavier gauge.

Been using quality (not cheap) cat5 for my 30 floods since 2012 and haven't had any issues.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:48 PM, Santas Helper said:

Been using quality (not cheap) cat5 for my 30 floods since 2012 and haven't had any issues.

Just ordered 200 feet of the cable. Since the cord has 8 wires, do you just use four and leave the other? Or do you double up and use to wires per terminal like the other user suggested?

10 hours ago, bryan.hurley5 said:

Just ordered 200 feet of the cable. Since the cord has 8 wires, do you just use four and leave the other? Or do you double up and use to wires per terminal like the other user suggested?

Double them up.  You will find that the cable has 4 pairs of wires.  Use one pair for each of the four required connections.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bryan.hurley5 said:

As Jim said, you can double them up. I didn't. Just snipped off the other 4 wires at each end.

The cat5 was nice because of the coloring of the individual strands. Orange wire for red, green wire for green and blue wire for blue. Then used the blue/white for the 4th wire. Worked well and still working today.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

As Jim said, you can double them up. I didn't. Just snipped off the other 4 wires at each end.

That's really thin wire for carrying any real current.  Granted that a single 10 watt RGB flood only draws about a quarter amp per color, but the common positive will carry three times that.  I would double them up.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That's really thin wire for carrying any real current.  Granted that a single 10 watt RGB flood only draws about a quarter amp per color, but the common positive will carry three times that.  I would double them up.

The light will be brighter with a full 12V

• 1 year later...
  • The topic was locked