Light-O-Rama Forums

Rgb pixel/bulb custom length modifications

Jadkins

Has anyone cut pixel strings to length for custom applications?  I have a very cut up roof and want to cut, and extend sections of lights for continuous strands. 

Sure, cut them up and make them whatever length you want. Just keep in mind the capabilities of your controller and overall length for voltage drop.

Just to add here, you may want to upgrade your Basic license if you are getting into pixels.

Edited by Mr. P

I have Smart and Dumb strings of various lengths.  (80 nodes is my longest Smart, 100 nodes on the dumb ones)

As the Army guy says: Keep track of the count (and current draw).  In some places I inserted a length of cable to join sections around an obstruction, where the lights would be hideous (if lit) or difficult to hang.  Just remember to keep cable runs fairly short, inject power at the recommended intervals for the voltage. AND only use 1 chip type nodes  per controller

I'm just wondering, since the OP has a Basic license, if they are confusing pixels with led light strings.

Edited by Mr. P

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I'm just wondering, since the OP has a Basic license, if they are confusing pixels with led light strings.

I was wondering the same thing Mr. P.   I don't think you can do much, if anything with pixels with a Basic license, I thought the minimum would be Advanced, PRO being the ultimate since more control over them.

The below is mainly info for the original poster of the question.

So if the OP is cutting standard LED strands, you need to know exactly what you're doing and how to do it, because if you cut it wrong and apply voltage, all that magic smoke is going to be coming out of the shortened strand. 

As in, all your LED bulbs may just go POP{literally each LED bulb will explode} and they let off an obnoxious, horrid smell when they do.  

I've had a few blow, not on Christmas strands, but in other projects for my Garden Railroad, I've  blown a few LED bulbs from time to time when the circuit I built didn't work as expected. LOL.

So if attempting to cut regular LED strands, read and research how to do it safely and correctly, it can be done, but there are specific ways to do it and not be detrimental to the strand.   I've done it before, it all depends on the LED strand in how it's wired as to whether you can cut them, but you just can't cut them anywhere..

Pixels and LED strands are two completely different things, and you can do more with pixels in cutting them shorter than you can with a standard LED strand.

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

If he isn't, he is in for a rude awakening.  His license is good for Dumb RGB (or AC) , 32  16ports of them ( 4  2@ CMB24) or 1600 nodes without pushing limits hard

Edited by TheDucks

Hey guys thanks for all of the input.  I currently am playing with the 10 w rgb flood kit, would like to find permanent installation floods, and am wanting to purchase either dumb rgb strings and controller to decorate the house for christmas.been following for products for years for fun, and finally have decided to jump on the wagon.  I am pretty savy with electrical, and can calculate voltage loss and so forth, but it is hard to find any products to make my own extensions, and the correct wire to use.  Any help finding those items would be great.  

I really like to make all of my connections to the perfect length, and like clean installation.  I am sure I can find much information here.

Thanks again!

21 hours ago, TheDucks said:

If he isn't, he is in for a rude awakening.  His license is good for Dumb RGB (or AC) , 32  16ports of them ( 4  2@ CMB24) or 1600 nodes without pushing limits hard

• The topic was locked