Light-O-Rama Forums

Large Neighborhood Systems

8Track

Say,

On the opening page of the LOR web site, one of the videos says something about large neighborhood systems.

The very first neighborhood shown looks like maybe it spans at least 3 or 4 blocks looking at the aerial view which I feel certain was taken with a drone.

Does anyone know how they are doing this?

Is it wired or wireless or both? Is anyone familiar with that particular system and neighborhood?

Many thanks,

Ken

Birmingham, AL.

19 minutes ago, 8Track said:

Say,

On the opening page of the LOR web site, one of the videos says something about large neighborhood systems.

The very first neighborhood shown looks like maybe it spans at least 3 or 4 blocks looking at the aerial view which I feel certain was taken with a drone.

Does anyone know how they are doing this?

Is it wired or wireless or both? Is anyone familiar with that particular system and neighborhood?

Many thanks,

Ken

Birmingham, AL.

Ken

Haven't heard from you since the xlights mini. There are many people doing this on the forums. If you search for them you will find them and they will probably answer your questions however remember this is probably their busiest time of year so may me a long wait time.

JR

A regular forum member here is debtoes who runs a several block neighborhood in Clovis, CA.  I have been to see that display and the behinds the scenes parts.  She is using ELLs as Mr. P mentioned for everything except her own house.  The larger you get, the more complicated that will get.  There are several alternatives as well.  For example, using WiFi or even point to point microwave or point to multi-point microwave.  Both of those require using E1.31 (AKA DMX over ethernet).  If it's all houses on one side of the street, it's not that hard to do it all or mostly via wired connections too.

Very involved to do a large show like that.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:23 PM, k6ccc said:

A regular forum member here is debtoes who runs a several block neighborhood in Clovis, CA.  I have been to see that display and the behinds the scenes parts.  She is using ELLs as Mr. P mentioned for everything except her own house.  The larger you get, the more complicated that will get.  There are several alternatives as well.  For example, using WiFi or even point to point microwave or point to multi-point microwave.  Both of those require using E1.31 (AKA DMX over ethernet).  If it's all houses on one side of the street, it's not that hard to do it all or mostly via wired connections too.

Very involved to do a large show like that.

Good info K6.  Many years ago (before CCRs were popular), I did a really large display for a shopping center down in Texas.  I used ELLs to transmit to distant locations.  However, for my home I abandoned using ELLS as I was having too many problems with my mostly all CCR display.   They couldn't handle the complex high speed patterns and would freeze the CCRs at point.   Now I use only wired connections.   I suppose that one of those other high speed alternatives is good for complex displays.