Light-O-Rama Forums

Speakers and FM transmitter

~DOC~

On 11/1/2018 at 3:51 PM, ~DOC~ said:

I have looked at that one but there are many complaint for hum / Hiss noise. Did you experience this? This unit hooks to the PC with a 3.5 mm audio cable. How much of an extension can I install. My PC is in the basement and at the back. I would say that most will tell me I need to mount closer the road. 

On 11/1/2018 at 2:48 PM, Mr. P said:

I use a fm transmitter from my pc which transmits to a stereo receiver for my outdoor speakers and to car radio's. You don't need to go expensive as by law you are not suppose to transmit too far.

here is one of my cheaper but very reliable transmitters:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM2VPMQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have used that transmitter for a few years and never a problem.  Inexpensive and reliable.   As for the hum or noise, often that is due to having transmitter too close to an RF source like the computer, or a poor quality audio cable, and sometimes even having the "wall wart" power supply too close to the transmitter.   I think you would be ok with having this transmitter in the basement a long way from the street because it is almost too powerful to begin with.... even in the low power mode.    Yet, to answer your question, I have a 25 ft audio cable on mine with absolutely no hum even when no songs are playing.

• Thanks 1

I've got an FM transmitter and set of outdoor speakers as well.  The outdoor speakers are driven off an old car radio which I can set up to either use an aux input from the show laptop or I can tune it into the FM transmitter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 7:13 AM, GriswoldStyle said:

Normally that is the audio cable. I just use the audio cables with shields on them. Everytime I try the cheap cables from Amazon or eBay or even the cheap one that comes with the transmitter,  I get hum or hiss issues. Buy a quality shielded audio cable and most times you won't have any issues. Most of these transmitters are all the exact same thing and model but just with a different name stamped on it.

Just wondering if you could recommend a cable.  I'm using the exact FM transmitter that you posted here and it is staticy and the static intesifies with the intensity of the music.  Some people cannot pick it up at all.  I'd love to find a quality shielded aux cable.  I searched a bit online and found them, but not sure of the quality.  Thanks!

You may well be over driving the transmitter input. Try reducing  the  audio levels out of the PC to about 70 % and see if it cleans up the sound.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

Just wondering if you could recommend a cable.  I'm using the exact FM transmitter that you posted here and it is staticy and the static intesifies with the intensity of the music.  Some people cannot pick it up at all.  I'd love to find a quality shielded aux cable.  I searched a bit online and found them, but not sure of the quality.  Thanks!

Static may be because you are over driving the INPUT, trying to make up for a poor antenna pattern.

Frequency Modulation  (In the Navy, we have an alternate name), changes the deviation from the center frequency with volume.  (AM changes the strength).

Turn dow the input so the LOUDEST is clean

2 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

You may well be over driving the transmitter input. Try reducing  the  audio levels out of the PC to about 70 % and see if it cleans up the sound.

Ninja'd

12 minutes ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

Ok, thank you.  Sorry for my ignorance but how do I do that?  

Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right of the task bar, and choose mixer, and adjust the volume slider.

52 minutes ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

If the poor audio gets worse with louder music, almost guarantee that you are overdriving the transmitter.  Turn the audio level down.  My standard advise is to turn the audio all the way down to zero.  Obviously you won't hear anything.  Then turn it up - just a little.  Likely will be REALLY quiet.  Keep repeating until the audio is good without distorting on the peaks.  the big part of that is make small adjustments.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

+1 Phil     In addition you should be muting anything else which could make a sound on your show computer.    

VolumeMixer.jpg

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If the poor audio gets worse with louder music, almost guarantee that you are overdriving the transmitter.  Turn the audio level down.  My standard advise is to turn the audio all the way down to zero.  Obviously you won't hear anything.  Then turn it up - just a little.  Likely will be REALLY quiet.  Keep repeating until the audio is good without distorting on the peaks.  the big part of that is make small adjustments.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 10:22 PM, k6ccc said:

Also be advised that the "cheapo" transmitter posted earlier has an input volume knob on the right which needs to be adjusted as well. 

I have the PC speaker output fed into a splitter which goes to that transmitter (reaches several blocks easily from the first floor window placement) and to an older Radio Shack amplifier that feeds two waterproof speakers (from Best Buy).   One speaker is on the porch, and the other is in front of a tree about 3/4 of the way to the street.   We have large lots here, so the noise isn't a problem, but when we lived where it was a problem, the amp was shut off at 9:30pm (leaving the transmitter on) and the show stopped at 11pm.