Light-O-Rama Forums

Successful Halloween

Mr. P

Several people commented that the lights were cool (or similar report).  I told them to come back in a month...

• Like 1

Me too.

Yhe only prob- 2 years in a row the Thriller sequence caused me headaches. I added it today after wasting all day adding the RGB elements. It messed up everything.

I even deleted it and it played.

Did a reboot, deleted the entire show, created new show without Thriller and it played flawlessly all night.

Something about that Thriller sequence.

And the media showed up “been trying to get in touch with you”.

Was able to assist another member while the media was setting up. I was able to help him have a successful night, that’s what it is all about.

Final count 320 bags given out combined allergy (non food) and candy bags.

The Teal Pumpkin Project if anyone is interested.

JR

ONE, yep, just ONE child, a young boy is all we got and he came after I got home around (;35pm or so.

I WILL NOT be doing another Halloween show, the first year we were here had over 100+ children, 2nd, just over 120+ children, but this Halloween, even when the neighbors came home with their children, they didn't even come over to snag some candy my wife told me.:(     I was at church until 9:30pm Halloween night, so I wasn't home for the most part of this.

And my wife said there were several ride by's, vehicles with a lot of children in them, they just slowed a little, looked, but never stopped and got anything either.:(  She was sitting on the ramp with a lot of candy for trick or treaters that never came this year.  She was very disappointed.

So we have 10 pounds of candy that basically went nowhere.   Probably gave the one child that showed up about 2 pounds of it, okay so we have about 8 pounds left over. 

I'll bet he was a happy little boy when he saw I was just shoveling candy by the handfuls in his bag.:D  We had decided to call it quits after I got home since she had had no children come by and I had already started taking everything in we set out specifically on Halloween night, when the one child came by. {Was surprised he wasn't with a group of children, but his parents were with him.}  And when I finally got everything in, about 9:55pm, I shut down the show for the night.  We usually ran it 'til midnight on Halloween night.

Halloween is just not worth doing for me any longer, so no more Halloween, next year, I'll be elsewhere and no lights in operation Halloween night.  I'll spend that candy money on going out somewhere with the wife.

Christmas and maybe some other Holiday times for me from now on.  But as for Halloween, this was the worst ever, at least as far as I'm concerned it was.

However, the show ran flawlessly, it attracted attention to some that rode through the area, but because of where we are in the manufactured home park, no one really sees us, since we are on a circle and only one way in or out, so folks don't always come back in the area where we live, we used to have a lot of folks come and we spread the word around, but it was just a very BORING HO-HUM Halloween night for us.  maybe if we were up front where my folks drive by, maybe we'd have had more children stop by, but this year was a total waste of my time as far as setting Halloween up.

Well got to go start tearing down what's left of Halloween and then try and sell all the Halloween decor off.  That way they aren't taking up space in my house.

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Several people commented that the lights were cool (or similar report).  I told them to come back in a month...

same here, we gave out five (450 count) bags of candy so all in all a good night.  Was told repeatedly how glad folks are that we moved back (spent the last five years in Nebraska), ran into a few more old friends.  Folks are looking forward to our Christmas show.  Had a few technical issues along the way but on the night it counted everything work flawlessly.

• Like 1

Interesting about the counts.  Last year we had about 175. (There is a Trailer park and apartments nearby).

This year, maybe 60. (we saved my wifes fav candy for the second round  .

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Interesting about the counts.  Last year we had about 175. (There is a Trailer park and apartments nearby).

This year, maybe 60. (we saved my wifes fav candy for the second round  .

I do think a few of our folks came thru a second and possibly third time.

19 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I had nine kids cry and was told off by one parent, overall a successful Halloween.  😁

Nice!  Sounds like a good time.

9 hours ago, caniac said:

same here, we gave out five (450 count) bags of candy so all in all a good night.  Was told repeatedly how glad folks are that we moved back (spent the last five years in Nebraska), ran into a few more old friends.  Folks are looking forward to our Christmas show.  Had a few technical issues along the way but on the night it counted everything work flawlessly.

Hey caniac I can't quite figure out if that's a tree or a vertical matrix with a topper in the background?

Well lets see i had about 20 kids cry 1 parent  cussing about dropping a spider on them 1 parent almost dropped his expensive Nikon camera when i dropped the spider on him and gave out about 300 bags of candy . It was a successful Halloween

• Like 2

3 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Hey caniac I can't quite figure out if that's a tree or a vertical matrix with a topper in the background?

it's a tree with a Bethlehem star on top (RGB and not used for Halloween).  I use my pixel trees in my Halloween display but don't light the toppers until I am ready to run my Christmas display.

My wife tells me she had a fun evening with my son and her parents. They said they went around my neighborhood and.  Came back to a crowd of people waiting In line to take pictures with my singers and flashing pumpkins, just watching the lights in amazement!!

No one in my neighborhood really does anything for Halloween besides a few small decorations on the lawn. But it's a great neighborhood to get candy in😊

I even ran out of 20lbs of candy and people were still taking pictures with my display. I had to work till about 9:30pm and the show runs till 10PM. And when I pulled up in my car some people were still taking pictures. All ran flawlessly off my pi cap!

No real display photos though. I am sad to take it down tomorrow but. I can't leave it up all year.

On 11/1/2018 at 5:30 AM, Orville said:

ONE, yep, just ONE child, a young boy is all we got and he came after I got home around (;35pm or so.

I WILL NOT be doing another Halloween show, the first year we were here had over 100+ children, 2nd, just over 120+ children, but this Halloween, even when the neighbors came home with their children, they didn't even come over to snag some candy my wife told me.:(     I was at church until 9:30pm Halloween night, so I wasn't home for the most part of this.

And my wife said there were several ride by's, vehicles with a lot of children in them, they just slowed a little, looked, but never stopped and got anything either.:(  She was sitting on the ramp with a lot of candy for trick or treaters that never came this year.  She was very disappointed.

So we have 10 pounds of candy that basically went nowhere.   Probably gave the one child that showed up about 2 pounds of it, okay so we have about 8 pounds left over. 

I'll bet he was a happy little boy when he saw I was just shoveling candy by the handfuls in his bag.:D  We had decided to call it quits after I got home since she had had no children come by and I had already started taking everything in we set out specifically on Halloween night, when the one child came by. {Was surprised he wasn't with a group of children, but his parents were with him.}  And when I finally got everything in, about 9:55pm, I shut down the show for the night.  We usually ran it 'til midnight on Halloween night.

Halloween is just not worth doing for me any longer, so no more Halloween, next year, I'll be elsewhere and no lights in operation Halloween night.  I'll spend that candy money on going out somewhere with the wife.

Christmas and maybe some other Holiday times for me from now on.  But as for Halloween, this was the worst ever, at least as far as I'm concerned it was.

However, the show ran flawlessly, it attracted attention to some that rode through the area, but because of where we are in the manufactured home park, no one really sees us, since we are on a circle and only one way in or out, so folks don't always come back in the area where we live, we used to have a lot of folks come and we spread the word around, but it was just a very BORING HO-HUM Halloween night for us.  maybe if we were up front where my folks drive by, maybe we'd have had more children stop by, but this year was a total waste of my time as far as setting Halloween up.

Well got to go start tearing down what's left of Halloween and then try and sell all the Halloween decor off.  That way they aren't taking up space in my house.

What do u have ?? I would love to add some light up tombstones like the ones from holiday coro for the other side of my yard for next year.

Only tombstones I have are made of compressed wood and each one has spiders on it, one has a white half web at the top and 2 white spiders below {3 channels/clear incandescent bulbs}, the other tombstone has 2 black spiders {purple, but faded incandescent bulbs/2 channels}, each tombstone front is covered in black felt.  

I also have 4 tall Jack-O-Lantern Head Boo Ghosts, 1 Large Ghost holding a Jack-O-Lantern Blow Mold,  1 Large Green Witch with holding Broom Blow Mold, 2 Large wire frame Skulls {not singing faces}, 1 large wire frame BOO, 1 Large wire frame Bat.  1 5 foot animated dancing skeleton, he's missing a hand, but I have it, he's old, over 10 years I think, and he only dances when you plug in a 9VDC adapter, which has turned up missing.  He also was modified by adding orange incandescent lights in his leg and chest {the leg strands are not working~burned out bulb possibly?}, head is clear incandescent bulbs, two poking out his eye sockets.  And a bit of miscellaneous stuff that I need to go through.

But since I, nor my wife no longer drive, and we don't own a vehicle, so I really don't have any way of packing or shipping stuff, what I'd have to sell would have to be local pick up only.  It's why I haven't really pushed selling anything as yet.

If someone local to me would be interested, come by take a look and make me an offer on the stuff.  The blow molds have all been modified so extra C7 bulbs could be added to illuminate them fully.  The 4 Boo ghosts have 3 C7 bulbs in them, the Large Ghost and Witch have a larger bulb {fits a C7 socket} in them as well as the standard lamp light bulb {25 watt} in each one.  Just so they lit up fully and nicer.  All wire frame items are incandescent, Skulls are clear bulbs, Boo is orange bulbs and the Bat is purple bulbs, but bats bulbs are very faded.  Some of the blow molds may need or require repainting.

Sorry I don't have a camera, so no way to post pictures.

Edited by Orville

We had a decent turnout. A lot of area churches had their trunk or treat fall festivals on Halloween night because it was a Wednesday, but we still probably gave out almost 20 pounds of candy.

I also had several people who told me they love our decorations for both Halloween and Christmas. 

Edited by dansamy

Even though it was really stormy and wet, and I thought I might have to cancel, Halloween Day was dry so we madly set up. We gave out 575 cotton candy cones plus candy.  I wish this video focused more on the lights, but I did have 7 sequences going. The neighborhood kids wanted a more spooky theme and said I was getting too "Disney" so my theme was Movie Monsters and VIllians. We got a lot of good scares in too.  My dogs took it all in stride. I put it on YouTube.  Aloha!

https://youtu.be/F2YsH4kJGNo

• The topic was locked