Light-O-Rama Forums

Colors in SE don't look the same as the bulbs on your roof

mcnamara9

I searched previous threads but did not find an answer.  I'm new to using CCB's and and while trying to simply turn my CCB's on to orange for , I click on what looks like orange in the SE but it comes out more yellow in the bulbs. 

• Am I missing something? 
  • Do colors in SE not always translate to reality?
  • For those of you who use CCB's for Halloween, what color inputs do you use to get a true orange color?
  • For those of you who use CCB's for Christmas, what color inputs do you use to get a white similar to the old school incandescent white lights?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Orange-sm.jpg.08cc3a0db7547050dec94d1f4f9752bd.jpg

Orange is a very hard color to look right.  One of my standard recommendations is to hook up the actual lights and make they look the way you want.  Use the Hardware Utility to adjust the levels until you get the color that you want.  Then record the numbers that you settle on.

Different pixels are going to look different, so this test needs to be repeated for each group of pixels that you have.

• Like 1

This is a very common nuance learned by a lot of new RGB users.  Here's what I've done, and it's been very successful for my setup: 

I found a "rainbow" color chart on the interwebs, one that displays the range of color I like using in my display (albeit probably heavy on the reds and blues).  Then, I set up my pixels (CCB, CCP, whatever you have) next to my printout. I then opened up the Hardware Utility and started messing with the sliders in order to produce a color that "looked" like the color on this sheet.   I wrote those down (AND created presets in my pixel editor - see below) so I now can always have a "yellow" when I want it.  I also went as far as comparing my RGB lights with my cool and warm white LEDs so I could also get a perfect match :)

It may be difficult to program with these initially, because most yellow/orange colors look very reddish in the preview; however, they're correct in your eyes -- because you calibrated them .  It may be helpful to create a few scales like this for floods, CCB, and other pixels -- as RGB devices of different sizes and manufacturers will vary in color; I notice this especially in my flood lights.  Here's what my graphic looks like:

PixelColorValues_low-res.jpg.e7d4b93e92688c6a4b9cdd03431b9741.jpg

I also created custom palettes in my Pixel Editor / S5 so that I can easily recall the 20 colors with 3 clicks.  

image.png.09d3faf9e1b8fd1cdb209c8ecde7305b.png

If anyone wants the .ai (Illustrator) file to edit for yourself, feel free to PM me and I'd be more than happy to send it to you.  My RGB values will likely work for your setup, but you may disagree with my version of a hot pink...so you may want to make your own calibrated variants of colors, too.

• Like 1

Wow!  lkcubsrule, this is awesome.  I will get home early and try to implement some of these color codes tonight before the trick or treaters come by.  I REALLY appreciate it.

• The topic was locked