Light-O-Rama Forums

Timer for mini director and light show

Dean Jenks

How do I set up a timer for my mini director and 4 light controllers ? Tried unplugging controller 1 and it's still running then controller 1 and 2 mini director still has power and is running controllers 3 and 4 

The mini director will run when there's any controller in the network still on that has power to it. It Powers through the data Network CAT5 or Cat6 cable.

The easiest way I found is to have a timer for each controller but I have all the timers setup side-by-side then run an extension cord to each controller from the timers. That way the timers are all within a couple minutes of each other when turning on and off. I have six holiday time timers with Dusk Till Dawn sensors and I normally either set them for 4 hours on Halloween or 6 hours for Christmas. They cost about $15 at Walmart each. not sure if you can find them online but they always have them in the Christmas lights section just make sure all the timers are the same make or you may have different quality sensors that will have more than a few minutes difference in the sensing of daylight.

External power source on director with a timer would work as well.

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/mDM-MP3_Man_Web.pdf  Page 9-12

This is why I went for the MP3 Director with the BUILT IN CLOCK!   Then you set the start and end times of your show and the Director takes care of everything, no external timers needed at each controller, no adapter needed to power the MP3 Director w/clock either, power comes from the controller or the USB RS485B adapter, as the B boosts power to run the controllers via the MP3 Director.

Depending on the number of controllers you have to add timers too, it would have been worth it to invest in the DC MP3 Director with the clock built in.  Used one for 4 years to run my shows, but when it died, went to a computer and that works out much better, more options to do things you can't usually do with a Director unit.

But if I were going that route, I'd look into replacing that mini Director by trading it up for the better unit with the built in clock, it'll make your life a whole lot easier using one!

20 hours ago, Dean Jenks said:

How do I set up a timer for my mini director and 4 light controllers ? Tried unplugging controller 1 and it's still running then controller 1 and 2 mini director still has power and is running controllers 3 and 4 

I once used the mini director and that has been sometime ago. If my memory serves me correctly I wired the director with it's own power supply and used an old lamp timer to control when the mini director would come on which would start the show. There is a simple way to do it. I just don't remember exactly how I did it.

18 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

I once used the mini director and that has been sometime ago. If my memory serves me correctly I wired the director with it's own power supply and used an old lamp timer to control when the mini director would come on which would start the show. There is a simple way to do it. I just don't remember exactly how I did it.

• 4 months later...

I have the mini director built in my 1602g3 and I set the timer to run my show. I put separate timers on the pixel tree and rgb flood lights. my problem is that I upgraded to the s5 software. I am set up for pro version. I am now trying to turn off the built in timer but not sure how to do it. I want to turn it off so I can test my new controllers and new software. can anyone help me out?