Light-O-Rama Forums

12v pixels doing a rainbow flickering

d. brown

running 2 pixie 16's and with no show running only power to board my pixels are doing a random flickering rainbow effect all over, I have turned power down to 11.6 with no luck looking for any thoughts as to why

7 minutes ago, d. brown said:

running 2 pixie 16's and with no show running only power to board my pixels are doing a random flickering rainbow effect all over, I have turned power down to 11.6 with no luck looking for any thoughts as to why

There is no such thing as a negative voltage drop. Turn the power UP to 12.6 (+5% which leaves 5% margin as 12V is typically 10%)

OTOH, your power supply may be making dirty DC (electronic noise)

or you set the LED type to 400 or 800KHz in the HU and it wants the other

I did have the power supply set to 12.6 and had to set the pixels to 400. I also have the power supplies grounded out but still get a flickering when its sitting at idle and no show an will flicker when a show is running between effects sometimes

18 minutes ago, d. brown said:

I did have the power supply set to 12.6 and had to set the pixels to 400. I also have the power supplies grounded out but still get a flickering when its sitting at idle and no show an will flicker when a show is running between effects sometimes

Unfortunately, you would need an oscilloscope to see any noise (hash) on the 12V rail. (By grounded, I assume you mean the Green wire connected to the case. That is only good for the Input side.)

💡   If you have a .1uF ceramic handy, put it in series with the + lead on your DVM set to AC volts (low number).

The cap blocks the DC from the meter