Light-O-Rama Forums

PE from SE timing grid out of sync

bmkalbf

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me out with this issue I am having.  I have been using SE and PE for 3 years now, and this is the first time I am seeing this issue.  If I create a sequence in SE, with a song (musical sequence) and add timings using the tapper wizard, all of the timings match up in SE perfectly as they should.   When I bring that sequence (.lms) file into PE, it seems that the timings from the tapper wizard are off by a significant margin.  Sometimes when I first bring in the sequence, they match up, but when I apply an effect or work along the timeline in the sequence, the timings become off.  I have made new files thinking maybe it was corrupt, and have checked my computer resources, and nothing is strained like CPU or disk or memory.  Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated, this makes LOR pretty much useless if I cannot trust the timings in the timing grid I have set up.  Thank you. 

I am running PE version 4.3.14

Edited by bmkalbf

I think I have narrowed down the issue a bit more.  So playing the sequence from the beginning, the timings are flawless, it seems to only throw them off when using the "play from current location to end" play button.  It seems like the red play line is making a hop ahead for some reason putting the timeline out of sync with the music.  I guess I need to trust my initial timing marks and then play from beginning to verify everything looks as it should.  Still a big pain, but better than nothing,  any input would still be appreciated on how to fix that issue.  Take care. 

This is almost always due to using a .mp3 music file that is variable bit rate rather than constant bit rate.  Use Audicity to re-encode the file as a constant bit rate (128K b/s is recommended by many).  If you really ant the technical description of the problem, I can give it.

Thank you for the reply.  I did check the bitrate and all looks good.  However, the only thing I could think of that was different is the version of Audacity that I used on each computer.  I recently started creating my music files in Audacity on a new computer, exporting the file, and moving to my sequencing computer to sequence.  I found that only the files I would create on the other computer would have this issue. So I created the files in Audacity on my sequencing computer again like  I used to, and now it seems to be working fine.  Same settings, and same bitrate but different versions of Audacity and moving between computers seemed to be the issue.  Maybe a codec issue?  still not sure.  

I have found that similar events will happen with songs that are digitally remastered or copied and converted from youtube

That is why I only use purchased music however then if it’s digitally remastered there is nothing I can do but backup and sequence a longer stretch.

It has no effect on the final product though

JR