Light-O-Rama Forums

PC Question

Protege94

Does anyone run S4 on a chrome book style computer? Or do you pretty much just use a desktop/laptop? Im looking to buy a new computer to run my show and that will be the only function for this computer. But I would like the cost of the computer to be as low as possible.

Since you are looking for low cost, my recommendation is to get a factory refurb desktop.  My current show computer which I bought last year cost less than $200 (as I recall is was something like $170 shipped) and is a decently equipped i5 based HP desktop.  It will serve for years.  I have bought all of my end user type computers in the last 15 or 20 years from either TigerDirect.com or the outlet on Dell.com.  Never had a problem.  Desktops are generally better suited for extended operation, and are easier to repair or upgrade if the need arises.

Remember that for a show computer, it does not take all that much horsepower - sequencing is a different matter.

A chrome book will not run  LOR.     It needs to have Windows on it which Chrome books do not. 

The keyboard screen mouse are part of the cost.    If the show computer needs to be positioned away from other PCs then a laptop may be your cheapest.    If you already have a spare monitor then get a desktop.

If you can position your show computer near another one then you can share the monitor to save that cost. 

22 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

A chrome book will not run  LOR.     It needs to have Windows on it which Chrome books do not. 

The keyboard screen mouse are part of the cost.    If the show computer needs to be positioned away from other PCs then a laptop may be your cheapest.    If you already have a spare monitor then get a desktop.

If you can position your show computer near another one then you can share the monitor to save that cost. 

Im wanting to position the show computer in my garage by the garage door opening on a small shelf, that it why I am considering a laptop.

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Since you are looking for low cost, my recommendation is to get a factory refurb desktop.  My current show computer which I bought last year cost less than $200 (as I recall is was something like $170 shipped) and is a decently equipped i5 based HP desktop.  It will serve for years.  I have bought all of my end user type computers in the last 15 or 20 years from either TigerDirect.com or the outlet on Dell.com.  Never had a problem.  Desktops are generally better suited for extended operation, and are easier to repair or upgrade if the need arises.

Remember that for a show computer, it does not take all that much horsepower - sequencing is a different matter.

I will do almost all of my sequencing on my desktop and then transfer the files over to the show computer. I am looking for something with a smaller foot print to keep in the garage. 

That’s my scenario as well, except I don’t need to do anything to transfer the files because both the sequencing computer and the show computer are both looking to my file server for the LOR files.

One note about running the computer in the garage.  Garages tend to be dusty.  Recommend cleaning the dust out of the computer every season.  That’s another one that has an advantage for the desktop.  They are generally more tolerant of dust and FAR easier to open up in order to clean.  My server and show computer are also in the garage, however they are in a data cabinet that has its own air conditioning and air filtration.  I still take each computer out once a year and clean them out.  It’s amazing how much dust accumulates in a computer.

As for Bob’s comment about a monitor, that’s only partially true.  Do you still have the old 19 inch monitor that you had before you upgraded to a new 24 inch on the main computer last year?  Many of us do.  It will work just fine for a show computer.  Also, if the show computer is network connected, you can use remote access software to access it from your main computer.  Although there is a monitor on a KVM in the data cabinet for the three computers, it almost never gets used.  Easier to remote in.  

39 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That’s my scenario as well, except I don’t need to do anything to transfer the files because both the sequencing computer and the show computer are both looking to my file server for the LOR files.

One note about running the computer in the garage.  Garages tend to be dusty.  Recommend cleaning the dust out of the computer every season.  That’s another one that has an advantage for the desktop.  They are generally more tolerant of dust and FAR easier to open up in order to clean.  My server and show computer are also in the garage, however they are in a data cabinet that has its own air conditioning and air filtration.  I still take each computer out once a year and clean them out.  It’s amazing how much dust accumulates in a computer.

As for Bob’s comment about a monitor, that’s only partially true.  Do you still have the old 19 inch monitor that you had before you upgraded to a new 24 inch on the main computer last year?  Many of us do.  It will work just fine for a show computer.  Also, if the show computer is network connected, you can use remote access software to access it from your main computer.  Although there is a monitor on a KVM in the data cabinet for the three computers, it almost never gets used.  Easier to remote in.  

I got rid of the 19 and have two 24s right now. I could run the show computer on my network and have the files stored in a shared drive. I never thought of that option. That would make things easier actually. I do have a storage room that has some work out equipment that isn't dusty at all. So I could put the show computer in there, but then if I'm going to go the route of running ethernet through walls and outside I would do it next summer when Im not pressed for time.

Its really more about space and that's why I think laptop over desktop. 

3 minutes ago, Protege94 said:

I got rid of the 19 and have two 24s right now. I could run the show computer on my network and have the files stored in a shared drive. I never thought of that option. That would make things easier actually. I do have a storage room that has some work out equipment that isn't dusty at all. So I could put the show computer in there, but then if I'm going to go the route of running ethernet through walls and outside I would do it next summer when Im not pressed for time.

Its really more about space and that's why I think laptop over desktop. 

You realize of course that I pulled those monitor sizes out of thin air - little did I know that they really were accurate for you :)

As for LOR file storage, here is what I do.  At home there are three computers that have LOR software installed - my family room computer (what I generally sequence on), my file server (runs my landscaping show from January until late October), and of course the show computer (runs the show for Halloween through Christmas).  On all three computers, I have a mapped network drive of L: (easy to remember).  That is really D:\Shared\LightORama on the server.  That is a pair of 1 TB drives in a RAID-1 array with a third drive as a hot standby.  On all three computers, LOR looks to L: for all the files.  If I make a change from one computer, all of them see the change.  For example, a few days ago I opened the Schedule Editor from the family room computer and added my Pre-Halloween show as calendar entries for last Friday through Tuesday evening.  Within seconds, the show computer knew about the change.  On this computer (at work) and my laptop, I also have a mapped L: drive, however on those L:\ is really a local folder.  That way if I need to edit a file on the laptop, the file pointers all work correctly because they are still pointing to L:\

As for wiring, when I had a new driveway poured about a decade ago, I installed multiple conduits between the house and garage, so right now there are 11 various cables in one of two available 1.5 inch conduits.

47 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You realize of course that I pulled those monitor sizes out of thin air - little did I know that they really were accurate for you :)

As for LOR file storage, here is what I do.  At home there are three computers that have LOR software installed - my family room computer (what I generally sequence on), my file server (runs my landscaping show from January until late October), and of course the show computer (runs the show for Halloween through Christmas).  On all three computers, I have a mapped network drive of L: (easy to remember).  That is really D:\Shared\LightORama on the server.  That is a pair of 1 TB drives in a RAID-1 array with a third drive as a hot standby.  On all three computers, LOR looks to L: for all the files.  If I make a change from one computer, all of them see the change.  For example, a few days ago I opened the Schedule Editor from the family room computer and added my Pre-Halloween show as calendar entries for last Friday through Tuesday evening.  Within seconds, the show computer knew about the change.  On this computer (at work) and my laptop, I also have a mapped L: drive, however on those L:\ is really a local folder.  That way if I need to edit a file on the laptop, the file pointers all work correctly because they are still pointing to L:\

As for wiring, when I had a new driveway poured about a decade ago, I installed multiple conduits between the house and garage, so right now there are 11 various cables in one of two available 1.5 inch conduits.

Yea all that makes sense. I run a network drive so I can stream video files from my desktop to my xbox.