Light-O-Rama Forums

Don't wait until the last minute

LOR Staff

I just had my first ticket this year dealing directly with this:

The ticket was sent after hours (remember, we close at 4) on a Friday, demanding that we fix a persons license because he is having a party in a couple of hours.  Now, we are not even sure what the issue with the license is because the customer did not include enough information, but I can guarantee this person is going to be upset since WE ARE CLOSED for the weekend.

You should NOT be waiting until the last minute if things are this important to you.  Please remember this as the season picks up.

Yeah, this year it’s been a tick up from previous.

I even had to put “ this offer may self destruct” in a post. LoL

I try.

JR

13 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

We can’t say some of those words in the PC environment. LOL

Or can we.

JR

I wasn't sure so that is why I posted the way I did.  😁

@DevMike:   Whhhaaattt?  You mean I can't call you at 6pm on Friday and ask you and all the Help Desk folks at LOR to come and string up my lights and put my display up for me at the very last minute?🤣😛🤣    Oh for shame of it all!   I really thought you folks at LOR would come and give me a hand last minute, to be at my every beck and call with no complaints......🤣🤣🤣

Sorry DevMike, the temptation was just too great to resist.

Seriously though.

Light-O-Rama and it's employees as far as I am concerned have always been exemplary in getting issues resolved and problems fixed.  Best customer service out there, if some don't want to believe that, and have issues because they wait too long to get something done, that shows their lack of understanding how things work in the REAL World!

Especially when it is usually always spelled out at the top of these forums at the busiest times of year for those of us that do this, and everyone else visiting these forums.  If they don't pay attention, that's on them, not you folks at LOR!  

You folks at LOR always do an outstanding job, and why I recommend you to folks when they ask me how my display works, of course many will never delve into this once they find out what the startup costs can be. 

Why? 

Because they want to go hog wild at first instead of trying to take it a few steps {or would that be dollars and items? LOL} at a time, instead of trying to sink the boat before they even get everything afloat{started}.

So many are really under the impression that what we set up is just plug it in and it works {like that automated Christmas box I won't name}, not ever realizing the work that goes into all this.  Not until I or someone explains how this all really works together to them.  And I've had some state, "that's just too much work, time and costs way too much to just put up Halloween or Christmas Lights".   We{I} never said it wasn't.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got a second one.  I'll post the last line of the ticket (FYI:  This person may or may not be a member here in the forums.  If you don't want to out yourself, don't)

"I would appreciate a quick response since I'm in a major competition in the next two days and I'm currently stuck with no show.  Thanks!"

Now remember, we close at 4, and we got this ticket just now.  That's going to knock another day off.   The issues are  PE related and unfortunately Matt is out of town right now on family business.  The chances of us being able to solve the issues within a day are not good.

Again we want to stress that if you have something coming up that is important, like a competition,  you should have tested everything and had everything working WELL before the date.  We will (as always) do what we can, and we sympathize with your stress.  It may turn out to be our fault completely.  But ultimately you are responsible for your own success.  Please set yourself up for success by testing and being ready early.  Two days before is not early.

LOR service has always been fantastic.. I placed an order in the evening, by 09:30 the next day, I had the tracking number. Obviously, someone there does not have a rouund2it award

Geez, if I were going to be competing in a competition like that, I'd have my sequences done, tested and tweaked at least 3 months BEFORE said competition was to even start.   Then if I have any addition tweaking I want to do, I'll have time to do it, or add/delete things that I think may not fit as well as I originally thought.  

Now there may be some last minute tweaks to do..... but, aren't there always? B) 

Seems there is always something that's got to be RE-tweaked {again and again AND AGAIN! Or so it seems!}🤣

8 hours ago, DevMike said:

Just got a second one.  I'll post the last line of the ticket (FYI:  This person may or may not be a member here in the forums.  If you don't want to out yourself, don't)

"I would appreciate a quick response since I'm in a major competition in the next two days and I'm currently stuck with no show.  Thanks!"

Now remember, we close at 4, and we got this ticket just now.  That's going to knock another day off.   The issues are  PE related and unfortunately Matt is out of town right now on family business.  The chances of us being able to solve the issues within a day are not good.

Again we want to stress that if you have something coming up that is important, like a competition,  you should have tested everything and had everything working WELL before the date.  We will (as always) do what we can, and we sympathize with your stress.  It may turn out to be our fault completely.  But ultimately you are responsible for your own success.  Please set yourself up for success by testing and being ready early.  Two days before is not early.

Can I type LMFAO (they are a singing group) here. Add that to Mr. P  7 P’s explains it all.

JR

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Can I type LMFAO (they are a singing group) here. Add that to Mr. P  7 P’s explains it all.

JR

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what are the 7 P's?   I just can't think of 7 things that start with P that relate to this.  If any of them are profanity types, please PM me with the list.  I keep seeing that statement, but honestly I have no clue what you folks are talking about with that 7 P business.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Orville said:

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what are the 7 P's?   I just can't think of 7 things that start with P that relate to this.  If any of them are profanity types, please PM me with the list.  I keep seeing that statement, but honestly I have no clue what you folks are talking about with that 7 P business.

Thank you.

Prior, Proper, Planning, Prevents,  P....s, Poor, Performance

Note- there are several variations of the 7 ps but this app s the one I grew up with.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Always heard that as: Early proper planning prevents bad performance.  So that wouldn't equate to 7 P's the way I learned it, mine only had 4 P's, but then there was an E and a B in there too.

Well I'd better get my rear in gear and start getting the Halloween decor down.  Spent too much time online this morning as it is.:P:)

Please, the objective of this post is not to pile on or make fun of those people.   Our objective is to let everyone know that ultimately you are the one in control of your own success.  That only you can put a value on the risk of having something go wrong, and have plans in place to mitigate that risk.   

Take for example a controller that dies.  For some people the cost of that happening is tiny - "Oh Well, I guess the Mega Tree doesn't run".  For others, this is catastrophic - "I have the mayor coming today and everything absolutely MUST be perfect!!".  The first guy could wait a few days for a new controller.  The second guy should have a backup controller ON HAND.  

We will try our best to help, just as we do every day for every customer,  but ultimately it's your date and your risk.

3 hours ago, Orville said:

Thank you.

Mr. PPPPPPP   🤣

8 hours ago, DevMike said:

... should have a backup controller ON HAND.  

And also a back of every critical LOR and non-LOR part.    Cables adapters transmitter  GFCI's.  Pixels of every kind.     I have had my share of catastrophes and was always impressed with how responsive LOR help desk is.   But it is better to have spares. 

One year I had a sound board go out and had to change show computers.   Also lost a transmitter on year.  I bought this box of fuses a long time ago.  I have never needed a single one but I know where they are in an emergency. 

2 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

And also a back of every critical LOR and non-LOR part.    Cables adapters transmitter  GFCI's.  Pixels of every kind.     I have had my share of catastrophes and was always impressed with how responsive LOR help desk is.   But it is better to have spares. 

One year I had a sound board go out and had to change show computers.   Also lost a transmitter on year.  I bought this box of fuses a long time ago.  I have never needed a single one but I know where they are in an emergency. 

Totally agree, backup, backup, backup. I have so much backup stuff I can almost run my entire show at two locations.

and another just today (again, no need to out yourself if you are a member here):

"Please correct this issue ASAP as I need my items that I ordered for a project that I am building. There are now 20 days until Thanksgiving when I turn my lights on and those 2 pieces are crucial. "

Customer placed an order and we screwed up the shipping labels.  We probably sent his items to someone else, and he got the other persons stuff.  Totally our fault, and we will go well beyond our normal procedures to get this fixed.  But the fact remains that something unexpected occurred that will wipe at least several days off this persons schedule.