Light-O-Rama Forums

Making the big conversion

kj11856

I need a little help. I have used 16 rows of rope lights on my roof for years. now I'm making the conversion to WS2811 strips with a Pixie 16 Controller. I need to convert my programming over to the new lights without loosing my programming. in other words, I want the new lights to do the same thing as the rope lights did. need to convert from CTB16PC to Pixie 16. I already have a Pixcon 16 controller in my programming so I'm not a newbie. just want to convert old programming over to the new. My layout will be 16 sets of 100 pixel nodes with one fold. 32 total rows total

There is no such thing as converting when going from a CTB16PC to a Pixie. You are literally taking 16 channels and wanting to turn them into 100's or even 1,000's of channels, can't do it. You will have to go in and sequence them.

This can be done with the macro function.  I have made several videos about this which I will look up and post links here.   Also you can use AutoFlip to multiply a single channel into 50 and then paste the output. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO
clarity

You need a RGB channel breakout.   Paste the single channel into the R  or G or B or any comb.   Then use the change intensity on the entire row to build a color. 

OR  

the best way is to set it white and then overlay a color from a full size built color frame.  Then paste using the to foreground tool.  

I have to go to work..   but I will happy to have a class on advanced  pasting and upgrading from  AC to pixel. 

10 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

You need a RGB channel breakout.   Paste the single channel into the R  or G or B or any comb.   Then use the change intensity on the entire row to build a color. 

OR  

the best way is to set it white and then overlay a color from a full size built color frame.  Then paste using the to foreground tool.  

My question is would the effort be worth it? With the RGB channel breakout you are talking 4,800 rows. Even if you went white with an overlay you are looking at 1,600 rows.

If the OP just wants to use the Pixels like dumb RGB, entire port one color, it would be easier to just redo the sequence. If they are proficient it could be done in 15-20 minutes.

Maybe Bob has something on his site I don't know about, convince me Bob.  😁

The OP asked how to keep existing sequencing.  This is how it is done. Certainly a whole new sequence could be better.  How long it takes seems to be up to the skill and desires of the sequencer.

In S5, the sequencing on the rope lights would be archived when you upgrade the sequence. Then you could just copy the rope light effects to the clipboard and paste them directly onto the motion effect row(s) for the pixel strips. S5 does the conversion from channel effect to motion effect automatically when you paste.

Matt

Matt   I didn't realize I was posting in the S5 forum.    The break out method video was from the S3 days five years ago.       S5 sounds much easier.  

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

But the OP is using S4, must be an advertisement for S5.

Since it was posted in the S5 forum, I was assuming the OP was using S5 and that their profile was out of date. Maybe @kj11856 can clarify?

Matt

15 minutes ago, dougd said:

Grouping at the controller level would possibly accomplish this?

Grouping the channels at the controller would turn everything white. The advantage with Bob's RGB Converter is that it stacks the channel breakout RRR,GGG, BBB which makes it possible to paste in colors.

All I do is copy the sequence in to the RGB sequence. It turns all white. I just go back and fill the colors in. Not very hard using the color fade tool

Of course I am S4 and every RGB device o have are pixies

JR

Yes the pixie 16 supports macro channels for 50 pixel strings.    I used it heavily last year.    This year I moved things around and bought another pixie with 12v 100 pixel strings which does not support macros.  Made my sequences YUGE.

I dont know what either of you mentioning white are talking about.   Pasting a clipped regular channel area into a pixel are in S4 will give you white garbage.   You need to triple it out first before pasting with the R G B break out or AutoFlip

Edited by ItsMeBobO