Light-O-Rama Forums

running wires to the outside

budslights

Hello,

1) I currently keep my controllers all mounted inside and have no foreseeable plans to change that. I am curious if anyone has a good way in which they run their wiring outside and keep a pretty good seal. Unfortunately my winding I run through is at ground level so I am always worried about mice using the wire chases to gain entry. any info or pictures of how anyone else has done it would be greatly appreciated.

2) since I mount my controllers inside I am curious if anyone else does this and how they have theirs mounted. I do not have any enclosures for mine, they are mounted on bolts to stand off a piece of pegboard.

Thanks,

Brad 

I run my cables through my wall about 8’ high i mad a large hole since I have multiple network cables running through.

On the outside a have a waterproof junction box , I believe it is 4x4 or 6 x 6. The junction box has a cover that opens.  I have it open top to bottom.

Int the bottom of the box (as it is mounted) I drilled a hole and have a 3/4 short piece of pvc pipe sticking down.

The back of the box has a hole a little larger than the hole going through the wall.

Once installed just silicone around the box to prevent water 3M5200 is the best money can buy and can be used underwater. You will heed a hammer and chisel to remove it ever it needs to be. 3M4200 is the step down from 5200 and easier to remove.

I usually put some of those pesky shipping peanuts in it once I run the cables just to keep out a little draft.

The hinged cover on the box allows for easy access to run the cables through since all of my cables are removed after Christmas.

All of my controllers are mounted outside.

All cables just hang on the outside of my wall but you could use pvc or wire mold to dress it up.

On the outside wall under the afformention junction box is all of my GFCI receptacles.

I use 3” pvc spiked in the ground to run my cables across my sidewalk. I run data and power separately.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

7 hours ago, budslights said:

Hello,

1) I currently keep my controllers all mounted inside and have no foreseeable plans to change that. I am curious if anyone has a good way in which they run their wiring outside and keep a pretty good seal. Unfortunately my winding I run through is at ground level so I am always worried about mice using the wire chases to gain entry. any info or pictures of how anyone else has done it would be greatly appreciated.

2) since I mount my controllers inside I am curious if anyone else does this and how they have theirs mounted. I do not have any enclosures for mine, they are mounted on bolts to stand off a piece of pegboard.

Thanks,

Brad 

the problem you run into when it comes to vermin is the coating on a lot of electrical cables is peanut based.  I take a solution of jalapeno's and water (let it steep a couple of days) and spray stuff down.  I had an electrician come in (so that it conforms to code) and placed a "junction box" inside that I can plug everything in to.  then it is a matter of just running cables.  Do you have a garage?  I have seen someone mount their stuff to a peg board in their garage and then had cable runs to the outside of the house.  What you want to do is doable, just a matter of how much you want to spend and if it needs to be up to code.  If you are within the city limit then it seems inspectors are everywhere but out in the country the rule is "its better to ask for forgiveness than permission".

I've been trying to find something like a junction plate {dual cat5e connectors, that is 2 connectors on one plate, that both  face inside and also into the wall, the another plate the same configuration that faces the inside connectors face into the wall and then outside on the outer plate}. that way I can mount inside and outside plates with a small cat5e cable jumper connecting the inner junction with the outer junction inside the walls.  Than all I need to do is run my outside cat5 cabling from the USB485 Adapters to a junction plate inside, then run the cat5 cabling from the outside junction to my controllers.

But I have been unable to find such a thing, they either have a connector and then you have to screw, push or crimp the cat5 cabling between the 2, that is NOT what I want, I want a plate that has pass through connectors mounted so I can just connect ready made cat5 between the interior and exterior with a small jumper, then I just connect my other ready made cat5 from my USB RS485B and HS USB RS485 adapters to them from the computer in the house, then to the controllers from the junction outside the house, so there aren't any open spaces for vermin to crawl through and get in the house.   The plates will be sealed around their perimeter with Flex Seal, as that makes a rubberized waterproof seal and is easy to peel away if needed.   Since I don't want to seal cables in a hole and then try to scrape stuff off to remove a bad/faulty cable, like the jumper if it even went bad.

Anyone seen or know where to get such a thing?

I've been looking for months and months, and either I'm just not searching the correct terms and I've tried a lot of different ones relating to this, or they just don't exist, albeit I'd think there would be such a thing available.   So if anyone knows where I can find this type of pass through cat5e plate with pass through connectors, please share the link and let me know.

Thank you in advance.  {I really hope something like this actually exists, sure would make it a lot easier on the way I do it now, running out through a window or under a door where the cables get pinched and smashed.  And also let bugs and small insects into the house. ugh!}

Edited by Orville

Look at McMaster Carr, they have plates for data cables form 1 to 6 connections.  can all so look at Allied Electronics they to have a large selection of cables and cable management devices. there is all so a site called Graybar Electrical Supply. All 3 sites have really low prices and great quality. the company I work we order from all 3 places depending on the needs at the time.

One thing is when you drill a hole though the outside wall. When you get done running all your lines. use steel wool to fill in the rest. This will help keep and unwanted guest from coming in to your home.

2 minutes ago, Life With Lights said:

Look at McMaster Carr, they have plates for data cables form 1 to 6 connections.  can all so look at Allied Electronics they to have a large selection of cables and cable management devices. there is all so a site called Graybar Electrical Supply. All 3 sites have really low prices and great quality. the company I work we order from all 3 places depending on the needs at the time.

One thing is when you drill a hole though the outside wall. When you get done running all your lines. use steel wool to fill in the rest. This will help keep and unwanted guest from coming in to your home.

You'd think you could find all 3 of the items needed to make a pass through Cat5 cabling plate from the interior to the exterior in one place, just easier to order if everything comes from one place, then it's all here at the same time. LOL  Guess I'll have ti see what I can find at those sites you listed and make separate orders if I have to, to get what I need to do this.

Thanks for info.  Especially adding steel wool, never would have thought about that at all to keep pests out.

you should be able to get all form either place.

The steel wool came from my sister in law yrs ago. she was paying Terminix to come to her home. He told her about it sorta cut his on foot but she never had any new friends visit her.

1 hour ago, Life With Lights said:

Tried looking through these sites, but it's just too confusing, I can't find exactly what I am looking for.  Guess I'll just keep squashing my cat5e and keep doing it the way I've always done it, through{under} windows and under the front door.   I just can't find the correct parts to do what I want.  I've tried looking through the electrical, crimp, contacts, etc., etc. and I just keep coming up with nothing.

Don't know what terms I should use to locate these things, but I get everything, but what I'm actually seeking.  Gad, I HATE and LOATHE SEARCH ENGINES!  They never give me what I want, but tons of garbage I DON'T want!

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Orville said:

You'd think you could find all 3 of the items needed to make a pass through Cat5 cabling plate from the interior to the exterior in one place, just easier to order if everything comes from one place, then it's all here at the same time. LOL  Guess I'll have ti see what I can find at those sites you listed and make separate orders if I have to, to get what I need to do this.

Thanks for info.  Especially adding steel wool, never would have thought about that at all to keep pests out.

If all the cable types are Standard types: RJ45, RJ12, COAX, HDMI,, 3.5mm , binding post Use  a 2 gang Keystone jack holder, with a weather proof cover (the ones that allow cords when closed

Lke:

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Insert-Decorative-Plate-White/dp/B00EXI8PLQ/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1540391255&sr=8-30&keywords=Keystone+decora

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cat5e-Punch-Keystone-105376/dp/B019WOICAE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1540391775&sr=8-9&keywords=Keystone+jacks&refinements=p_89%3AMonoprice

NOTE:Be careful when buying Punch down jacks for side by side (4 or 6 port decora) inserts.: Many don't fit side by side (too wide. I sanded down  a lot that were close. for the cheaper , really wide ones there is no chance)

https://www.amazon.com/Taymac-2-Gang-Weatherproof-Cover-Clear/dp/B001BS9UTC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1540392076&sr=8-5&keywords=outdoor+outlet+cover+2+gang

for indoors, a standard plate will do

And here is the way the big boys get thru firewalls (not cheap)https://www.cableorganizer.com/sti/ready-sleeve-firestop-kits/

? If you just want to block the remainder of a hole: Stainless Scrubberhttps://www.amazon.com/Hulless-Stainless-Scrubbers-Scrubber-Scouring/dp/B07283T722/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1540392669&sr=8-6&keywords=stainless+scrub+pads

23 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

If all the cable types are Standard types: RJ45, RJ12, COAX, HDMI,, 3.5mm , binding post Use  a 2 gang Keystone jack holder, with a weather proof cover (the ones that allow cords when closed

Lke:

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Insert-Decorative-Plate-White/dp/B00EXI8PLQ/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1540391255&sr=8-30&keywords=Keystone+decora

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cat5e-Punch-Keystone-105376/dp/B019WOICAE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1540391775&sr=8-9&keywords=Keystone+jacks&refinements=p_89%3AMonoprice

NOTE:Be careful when buying Punch down jacks for side by side (4 or 6 port decora) inserts.: Many don't fit side by side (too wide. I sanded down  a lot that were close. for the cheaper , really wide ones there is no chance)

https://www.amazon.com/Taymac-2-Gang-Weatherproof-Cover-Clear/dp/B001BS9UTC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1540392076&sr=8-5&keywords=outdoor+outlet+cover+2+gang

for indoors, a standard plate will do

And here is the way the big boys get thru firewalls (not cheap)https://www.cableorganizer.com/sti/ready-sleeve-firestop-kits/

? If you just want to block the remainder of a hole: Stainless Scrubberhttps://www.amazon.com/Hulless-Stainless-Scrubbers-Scrubber-Scouring/dp/B07283T722/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1540392669&sr=8-6&keywords=stainless+scrub+pads

Thanks for the links.   But I finally figured out what term to use to find the things, the one term I never thought to use to search was "ethernet", *DU-UUH!* I used everything else I could think of, but that's the one I never gave thought too to use.?

I finally found everything I needed at Home Depot for less than $50 and free shipping.  Got it all bookmarked and saved, so when I have the funds in a couple weeks I'll get everything and rework my cat5e cables.  Sure will make things a lot easier once I get this all installed.   Probably be over $50, since I forgot the one thing you mentioned, the weatherproof cover for it.  So I'll make sure I add that to my list.

Remember that the original poster has his controllers inside so it's AC power cords (from controllers to the lights) that he needs to get outside, not Cat-5 cable.  That means far more space required for the wires and connectors, and higher voltage involved.

I took a duplex waterproof outlet box and components I found at Home Depot, along with some drill bits, to make this. It has 4 RS485 connectors and 4 speaker posts for the music comping from an old stereo amplifier

RS485 outlet.png

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Remember that the original poster has his controllers inside so it's AC power cords (from controllers to the lights) that he needs to get outside, not Cat-5 cable.  That means far more space required for the wires and connectors, and higher voltage involved.

Yes, I am very aware of that.   This was for my needs, not the OP's.  But thought there may be others in my or similar situation.So

I was asking because I needed to do this for Cat5 cabling and wanted to know where I could find what I needed to go from inside to outside via cat5e from the USB RS485 adapters to the controllers outdoors.

My controllers are all outside., always have been, always will be.  Just easier that way.

However, if they were inside, then it would have been easier for me to create a different set up to do that.  By adding electrical outlets connected to the controller dangles inside trough the wall. 

I built a special controller box from an old wooden ammo box I got from one of my jobs when they emptied them, I built the box with with 8 dual electrical outlets on it for indoor use, the dangles are wired to each outlet {16 outlets, channels 1-16) and marked.  Makes it easier to do my interior lighting for interior windows or the Christmas Tree.

Would have used this same principle if I were keeping my CTB16PC controllers inside, but with RGB lighting {at least in my case, Version 1, CCB-100, 5V strands} the controller has to be next to, or at least within a few feet of them, so even if my CTB16PC's were inside, the RGB units would still have to be outside due to where the lights are all mounted.

7 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

How about a simple dryer vent? Depending on number of wires, that may just work

That would work quite well, but you would likely want to cram a rag or (better) steel wool into any unused space to block rodents from being able to get in.  That would still allow insects, so if you REALLY needed to block them to, you could run all the cables and then shoot in expanding foam.  It would leave foam all over the cables when you pulled it out (a big mess), but you could get complete blockage.

Put controllers outside close to props, run the cat5 cables through the hole as I stated above. Smaller foot print going from the hole in the wall. Gets your garage space back.

Most of my controllers are attached to the prop except where the prop is very high.

Extension cords plugged in to the wall just below where the cat 5 comes out of the house and then the waterproof holiday yard receptacles are placed where they need to be in order to reduce the number of extension cords.

All cables crossing the sidewalk are ran through 3" grey pvc. Each end of the pvc has a hole and I put a 16" spike through to hold it in place. Id rather have the delivery people stupid enough to walk across my sidewalk trip on a pvc pipe than my cables. Data and power have their own pipe(s).

To get across the driveway I rented a diamond water saw and cut the existing expansion joints a little deeper. Put my power cords in the joint and place a spike on each side of the driveway. wrap the cord around the spike, ziptie and got to other side and repeat. Never had a problem. 

My previous house I made a tool out of pvc to allow me to connect a water hose or pressure washer to it. To get pvc under the sidewalk to pass cables through I would just dig a hole on one side of the sidewalk. Place the pvc tool with pressure nozzle in the hole and shoot under the sidewalk until I saw water coming from the other side. Dig the hole on the other side to marry up. Take whatever size pvc and get a treaded coupling for both sides. Get a cap end for them. Stick through the hole. Leave the caps on until ready for use. Now you have a permanent way to run cables under the sidewalk.

Haven't been able to do it with the new sidewalk, been here 6 years now so probably will never get done.

JR

26 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That would work quite well, but you would likely want to cram a rag or (better) steel wool into any unused space to block rodents from being able to get in.  That would still allow insects, so if you REALLY needed to block them to, you could run all the cables and then shoot in expanding foam.  It would leave foam all over the cables when you pulled it out (a big mess), but you could get complete blockage.

That foam is nasty stuff, get it on your hands and it takes forever to get it off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

That foam is nasty stuff, get it on your hands and it takes forever to get it off.

That's for sure!  Disposable gloves are your friend...

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That's for sure!  Disposable gloves are your friend...

Ive tried them too, somehow I always find a way to get that foam on something and later on transfer it to my hands. LOL The not having feeling in my hands may have something to do with it but I can only use that excuse going back to my last MI. 

JR

• Like 1