Light-O-Rama Forums

Falcon controller setup

Nowerman2005

Ok so im new to all this. This is my first year and im diving right into it.

Im doing all pixels to start this year.

I will be bordering my house and all my windows and doors.

Im having a hard time getting the software to communicate with my controller.

Setup is pc>usb dongle(LOR usb485)>falcon f16v3

Ive made my preview and added all my props. But i just cant seem to get the sequencer to communicate with the controller.

Your F16V3 is an E1.31 controller that should be connected to the ethernet port of your computer not via the LOR usb dongle.

Search youtube or the manfucturers forums for that specific device, there is lots of info.

As for the LOR setup, there are also tutorials to setup your light o rama network preferences and settings

23 minutes ago, sticks4legs said:

Your F16V3 is an E1.31 controller that should be connected to the ethernet port of your computer not via the LOR usb dongle.

Search youtube or the manfucturers forums for that specific device, there is lots of info.

As for the LOR setup, there are also tutorials to setup your light o rama network preferences and settings

I've searched youtube for videos on this. And falcons website is still up and coming and don't have much for tech support. I didn't realize i could go direct to the ethernet connector on my laptop. I figured i needed to use there dongle.

Ill give it another go at tonight.

10 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I run about 14 Falcon controllers in my setup, pm me if you need assistance.

Thanks Mr. P

Could you give me a basic setup of how u do the networking.

Do you just use switches and static ip's for everything. Or do you use 1 router to dhcp it all and then use switchs.

Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, Nowerman2005 said:

Thanks Mr. P

Could you give me a basic setup of how u do the networking.

Do you just use switches and static ip's for everything. Or do you use 1 router to dhcp it all and then use switchs.

Thanks in advance

I have two switches placed out in the yard and everything is set to static. You will need to set your computers ethernet ip and configure the Falcon. Then you will need to go into the LOR network configuration to set up the universes and ip addresses.

Thank you Mr.P this was a great help. i got it all setup and working last night. but now on to my next issue.

i got the controller to communicate and got lights working.

here is my situation. im just going to only use one prop to explain this because no matter how i assign any prop i get the same result.

the prop in question is a border(window frame)around one of my window it is 84 pixels in length the string starts at the bottom left of the window and goes clockwise around it.

the problem that i am  having is only the first 34(approx) pixels are lighting the rest are not. in tthe LOR software its defined properly as far as i can tell.

and on the falcon web interface it is also configured correctly(slightly skeptical) any help would be great.

ive attached both the sequence that im in progress doing and my preview file.

God Bless the U.S.A.loredit

Bates street Home.lorprev

• Like 1

I can help with the Falcon setup but I can't help with the sequencing as I am not running S5. Someone who is running S5 will have to step in now.

14 minutes ago, Nowerman2005 said:

In the interim and tips or little tricks about falcon you could share

Falcon's are pretty much straight up, all you need is basic networking knowledge and you can set them up like any other E1.31 device.

One thing many don't know is that the V3 can daisy chain as it has a 2-port switch built in.

What does that mean. Maybe you could elaborate for me. What I'm getting is that I could use one port as two?

With most E1.31 controllers, if you have more then one, then you need a switch. A cat5 cable from computer to a 8-port switch then you can run more controllers off the switch. With a Falcon you can run another controller off the Falcon instead of a switch.

Nowerman  you should test you lights first using the Falcon test mode  then you will know if the problem is with the controller setup or you sequencing setup.

that's my plan for tonight

what i am doing is basically making each one of my prop its own universe to make it simple.

in theory if i tell the falcon controller that port 1(universe 1) has 84 pixels when i put it in test mode

and plug 2 50 node sets into it(daisy chained) i should see the 50 bulbs in the first set lite up and then the next 34 bulbs on the second set. i know this might seem 

that i am over explaining it but i am doing it to make sure i understand it correctly.

2 hours ago, Nowerman2005 said:

OK so i couldn't wait till tonight. i have really bad ADHD

the problem was i did not have the proper pixel counts in the string port configurations.

thank you guys so so much. i cant wait to get everything up on the house and make my first full run.

• The topic was locked