Light-O-Rama Forums

Has anyone tried a "Stick computer"

ItsMeBobO

This year I am thinking of setting up some spare/old CCBs at my office.  Just a chase and no music.  If were to use my work laptop it would only be able to run the lights when I am docked which is less than half a typical day. 

This block comes with no keyboard, screen, or mouse.    I could leave it in a drawer.   My question is how can I remote into it?   I dont want to bring attention to it by setting up the ksm at the office. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA60E82W8234 

51 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Yeah I have several of those in my kids rooms which are also Alexa controllable.     They wont control CCBs  (the gen1 green box two strings of 50 pixels).     My plan is to bring some lights I use in my show to work.  Trying to stimulate some conversation about my show.

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Why not use a Raspberry Pi.

You can use fpp to drive your Lor dongle and convert a sequence to keep playing in a loop. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Why not use a Raspberry Pi.

You can use fpp to drive your Lor dongle and convert a sequence to keep playing in a loop. 

what he said plus you will have change leftover for  . . . . . . ..   MORE LIGHTS!

21 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Can  PI run SE?  

I'm not sure if a quad core Pi would have enough oomph to run sequence editor itself after you would get over the hurdles of trying to install it on a Linux system.

You could ( as I said before) convert your sequence to an fseq format using  xlights so that the fpp ( pi ) will play it.

The pi has many more options you could instead of installing fpp install Noobs and throw together some code to drive the lights. I haven't looked at noobs in a while but I believe you have python, C + +, a few other things built in that you could use. 

Edited by Ebuechner

11 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I'm not sure if a quad core Pi would have enough oomph to run sequence editor itself after you would get over the hurdles of trying to install it on a Linux system.

You could ( as I said before) convert your sequence to an fseq format using  xlights so that the fpp ( pi ) will play it.

The pi has many more options you could instead of installing fpp install Noobs and throw together some code to drive the lights. I haven't looked at noobs in a while but I believe you have python, C + +, a few other things built in that you could use. 

what he said!!

Is your goal just to run some lights?

Or is it to have a full-blown sequence editor at your disposal. 

If you  just use some 2811 pixels and not the Lor stuff there's tons of ready-made cheap controllers that would run those some of them which have an interphase from your smartphone. 

And there's always a Showtime director. 

Remember that the original poster runs MIIP (OK, he wrote it) which REQUIRES running LOR as the show player.  Therefore, suggestions to go to xLights with FPP is useless.  I'm in the same boat as I am also using MIIP.  If you are not familiar with MIIP, it is an add on application that allows your viewers to select which songs to play next.  Very cool!  Search here on the forum for MIIP and you'll find lots of hits.

27 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Remember that the original poster runs MIIP (OK, he wrote it) which REQUIRES running LOR as the show player.  Therefore, suggestions to go to xLights with FPP is useless.  I'm in the same boat as I am also using MIIP.  If you are not familiar with MIIP, it is an add on application that allows your viewers to select which songs to play next.  Very cool!  Search here on the forum for MIIP and you'll find lots of hits.

Bob was helping me last year attempt to set up the MIIP but I cant remember what happened, I ran into a snag.

I think I still have it on my show computer.

Any tips.

I only have 14 sequences for Halloween and imagine Christmas will be limited. Unbelievable how much the RGB floods take to sequence but I don't use SS instant or auto sequence  for my RGB items.

JR

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Okay, let's go back to his first post based on that he simply trying to run some lights in his office. I suggested Xlights just as a tool to convert his sequence so it could be run from a pi with fpp which is capable of driving an Lor dongle.

I suggested this because it also has the capability of being able to remote into change things through a web interface that he can get to through a smartphone so it doesn't go through the office Network. 

A pi is really cheap just to show off some spare lights in his office.

He could also use Noobs and write some code to drive the Lor dongle.

And yes I know who he is and what he does. 

You guys seem to be a little sensitive and get your feathers all ruffled every time somebody uses the word Xlights.

Nobody stepped up with any information on that stick computer he was asking about and based off the fact that Newegg doesn't have any reviews on it I'm not sure he'll get much information.

LOL    you have that flipped Ebu.     xLights did not make the top 10 on the option list.   I dont use it on my 5 matrix / 6k pixel show.  No interest in learning it for a single demo, music free, non-matrix, strand. 

The lights will be LOR CCBs which I already have. (not considering other options)   They will be controlled by a windows PC running  S4 SE with the loop at end turned on.   (not considering other options)   At times I may want to show some people at the office how sequences control the lights. I must have immediate ability to change the chase and play it without down loading, compiling, fiddling etc.     The stick form factor PCs seem to be on back order from my usual vendors so no decision has been made on which windows PC will get the job. 

• 3 weeks later...

It snowed today in St Louis   So I decided it was not too early to set up the Pixie II ribbon.   Desktop support gave me a semi-damaged monitor and its using the lenovo to run SE in a loop. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

• The topic was locked