Light-O-Rama Forums

Ports reversed

jmraider

I been testing my system and for some reason the ports reversed.  Last year port 4 went to and ran my 7 LOR Controller boxes and port 5 was my secondary network going to my pixel tree.  Does the USB converter 485B remember ports?  I had everything labeled, but could not get it to work until I swapped the Ethernet cables.  Plugging 4 into 5 and 5 into 4.  I even went into the hardware utility and tried to re-initialize each port separately, but kept getting an error.  I may have caused it to switch ports during this process too.

Does it matter if the ports reversed which may have reversed in my computer?  I went into my computers device manager, then plugged in one USB485 (labeled port 4 last year) and it came up as port 5 which was connected to the pixel tree last year, then I went and plugged in the other USB485 (labeled port 5 last year) and it showed up as port 4 and was connected last year to the controllers.  Then I simply switched the ethernet cords and everything worked.  The Any other words of wisdom?  Does the port numbers matter other than going to the proper devices. 

Thanks

Jim

It likely changed in Windows Device Manager (pain in the backside what Windows does with USB sometimes).  You can use Device Manager to swap it back if desired.

One of the reasons you are told to install some Drivers  before ever connecting a USB device, is it makes the device USB port agnostic. Label your dongles with your LOR Network names, then it wont matter where they plug in on that computer (USB Devices have 2 IDs: Model and Serial) The LOR Driver applies to all LOR Models.  The serial matches the Network (utility) assignment

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

It likely changed in Windows Device Manager (pain in the backside what Windows does with USB sometimes).  You can use Device Manager to swap it back if desired.

YEs, all 11 of my networks changed after I did the windows update. PITA to decipher which were which esp in HU trying to find a device. In the end that is what I did. Plugged one of my controllers with ID 1 in- set my max device to 2 and went through them. Now I have a label on every adapter..

JR

• The topic was locked