Light-O-Rama Forums

Success with One Drive?

jroot

Is anyone using One Drive successfully as where the story the LOR folders? After losing my laptop AND backup hard drive this year, I'm using One Drive as my backup. But I also like the idea of being able to program new sequences while my show is running. If you are using it this way:

- If your show is pulling sequences from One Drive, can you make edits from another machine, save to One Drive and then see the updates instantly while watching the show outside? Or do you have to disable/enable the show the to see the changes? Or even download and save on the show laptop?

- Any concerns or lessons learned in doing this?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, jroot said:

Is anyone using One Drive successfully as where the story the LOR folders? After losing my laptop AND backup hard drive this year, I'm using One Drive as my backup. But I also like the idea of being able to program new sequences while my show is running. If you are using it this way:

- If your show is pulling sequences from One Drive, can you make edits from another machine, save to One Drive and then see the updates instantly while watching the show outside? Or do you have to disable/enable the show the to see the changes? Or even download and save on the show laptop?

- Any concerns or lessons learned in doing this?

Thanks!

I work with a group with e-book libraries using Calibre, the e-book library.  The rule is STOP the sync (I expect this would be your show computer) upon launch, resume after close.  This should work with almost any cloud (OTOH, Google drive modifies file names, for revisions, and that messes up Calibre)

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I follow. Stop one drive sync while I'm making edits? That would make sense because there could be 2 machines referencing the same files.But I would also assume no change/impact until I save my changes to my liking, which would me turning off auto-save too. Or is that basically what you're saying?

1 hour ago, jroot said:

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I follow. Stop one drive sync while I'm making edits? That would make sense because there could be 2 machines referencing the same files.But I would also assume no change/impact until I save my changes to my liking, which would me turning off auto-save too. Or is that basically what you're saying?

Stop sync on any machine  making changes (sync might be blocked by any access). Hopefully you wont have 2 edits going on.

My entire server is mirrored to Dropbox, including my primary LOR folders. I have run my show over the network but it can slow down loading between songs particularly with large files.

I edit directly from the server, and have done so in the past on a non local machine via Dropbox and it works well provided you keep the same folder structure and contents on each machine.

For the show, I copy all the LMS and LCS files to the local show machine drive, partly for speed and partly because I use MIIP to control my show, and it was more reliable that way.

Just  a note. If you use Compressed sequences and you probably should. If the LMS file is edited and saved, the show player will detect the change the next time the sequence plays, and it wiil recompress the file. Woks fine but there may be a significant delay while the LCS is written.

By the way, it's most helpful to be able to see your software version in your profile when answering questions.

All of sequencing is done on a onedrive folder. My default LOR folder is my onedrive folder on my computer at work, my computer at home and my show computer. I do anything in those 3 places, within minutes it shows up on all the other computers. Cant imagine sequencing any other way. It works perfect. Best part is I dont have to do anything.

Thanks Doug. That's what I had in mind versus treating One Drive like a backup and constantly uploading/downloading for different machines. I'm not sure I'm ready to load up LOR at work. Kudos to you, that's next level stuff ; )

This should also be very helpful for quick edits I need to make for those subtle issues that only we see and want to correct immediately.

I backup to the cloud (Google Drive in my case - one of several), but would NOT run my show from the internet on a bet.  Too dependent on perfect internet connection.

Not running my show from the internet. Onedrive is a folder on my computer. It is also a folder on both of the other computers also. When i make a change in my onedrive folder it uploads the change to the cloud onedrive folder. When the other computers see a change in the cloud folder, it automatically  syncs the onedrive folder on that computer to match. Again what is so awesome is I dont do anything it all happens automatically. If you sequence on multiple computers it cant be any easier. And the super bonus its all backed up in the cloud also.

On 10/19/2018 at 7:01 PM, dougd said:

Not running my show from the internet. Onedrive is a folder on my computer. It is also a folder on both of the other computers also. When i make a change in my onedrive folder it uploads the change to the cloud onedrive folder. When the other computers see a change in the cloud folder, it automatically  syncs the onedrive folder on that computer to match. Again what is so awesome is I dont do anything it all happens automatically. If you sequence on multiple computers it cant be any easier. And the super bonus its all backed up in the cloud also.

Keep in mind that if you get a virus or ransomware, because of the automatic backup, the virus or ransomware will likely also be able to attack you cloud storage.

Ok so i have to ask.... how can you have it update Automatically? I upload mine to my Google drive folder. I normally just upload the entire folder once I makes changes to a song. I have a Halloween folder and a Christmas folder. Not to mention I always have a external hard drive hooked up so technically after uploading, I have the files in three different places every time I save it I save it one by one. One on the computer one on the external hard drive and one in the file folder that I uploaded to Google Drive. I'm definitely interested in hearing a little more about how you guys do this

Well I have no idea about the virus thing, been doing this for several years now with no problem. When I was looking for a backup solution Onedrive was perfect for what I was looking for.

This is hard to explain but it just works so easily. I have a folder called Onedrive on all 3 computers, it is in the user folder. In that folder I have a folder called LOR. That folder is my default location for the LOR software for all 3 computers. So in that folder is my audio folder and all the associated LOR folders.

I have all 3 computers set to sync for the LOR folder. Like I said, I can add an audio file on one computers and it will automatically sync that audio file to the other computers. If I add a new sequence or change an existing sequence it will automatically sync that sequence to the other computers.

If today as an example I add a new sequence and audio file from my work computer. When I get home those files will be on my home computer, I can open that sequence in LOR and the audio file will be in the default location and that sequence will play perfectly at home without making any modifications or having to do anything for that matter.

I can modify my preview at work and when I look at my preview at home it will be exactly look the one I changed from work.

It is the perfect solution for sequencing on multiple computers.

• 2 weeks later...

@Griswold - MS OneDrive folders are local for each machine connected to each other. They'll need internet connection to sync with each other, but not to run sequences. Works as Doug describes. I used to save my work like you on an external hard drive but I had the perfect storm last year. My laptop the was the primary was getting slower and more difficult in recent years (the main problem is that I was building and running everything off an old work laptop and I was unable to install many updates without an admin code that I didn't have). So I knew I needed to update my main machine. Unfortunately I couldn't successfully remove anything off the old laptop. Cloud, thumb drives, discs, etc, it just wouldn't let me save anything off the machine. No worries though, I had my external HD. Well, as luck would have it that bugger was a few year old itself and decided to crap out on me too. So while I had everything stored safely, I couldn't get to it. In short, I had to start from scratch. I had over 20 sequences for Christmas last year. Point being, I'm feeling better about having all of my worked synced on 2 machines with OneDrive. 

The only thing that it doesn't do that would be great for me at least is making changes while the show is running. I.E. you spot a mis-timed effect or wrong color and you want to make the change right away and see it. It still requires stopping the show and restarting it. Hope that helps.

I am attempting to use OneDrive as described above but not sure I understand how to select a directory that my 2 laptops can use simultaneously via OneDrive.

I have attached a snip of the data directory LOR was installed by default on my sequencing computer. Does this look correct to get OneDrive to share files as described above and where would I install LOR on my show computer so that it syncs files as described above?

Thanks,

Chuck

LOR Data Directory.PNG