Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows command changes affects multiple sequences

k6ccc

I have found a situation where entering a Windows command on one sequence causes that same change to take place on multiple sequences.  Let me explain in more detail.

For my year round landscape lighting, the evening startup sequence includes a Windows command that executes a batch file.  The batch file in turn writes two log entries, and sends me an E-Mail that tells me that the show has started and which computer is running the show (my server runs the lights from January through mid October and a dedicated show computer runs is for Halloween and Christmas).  As far as LOR is concerned, it's just executing a batch file.  A couple weeks ago I created new landscaping sequences and shows for Fallen Firefighters memorial week.  For each sequence, I took the existing landscape sequence and edited it to become largely red lights and saved them with new file names.  I also created new batch files, and set the new sequences that have Windows commands to point to the appropriate batch file.  That worked perfectly.  However when Fallen Firefighters memorial week ended and I went back to the "normal" landscape lighting show and sequences, I noticed that the startup log files and E-Mails were still showing that the Fire memorial shows were starting.

So last night I finally had time to investigate and found that If I edited the Windows command for the Fire memorial startup sequence, it also affected the Year round landscape startup sequence and vise versa.  Same thing with the two transition sequences from the evening show to the overnight shows that also have Windows commands.  I assume it is somehow related to the fact that I edited the started sequence and saved it with a new name as opposed to creating new sequences from scratch.

I assume that I could clear the problem by simply deleting the cmdmap.lcm file and starting over, but I would rather not do that if I don't have to as there are dozens of entries in that file.

Any ideas?

Edited by k6ccc

Seems like there was a post about this same issue just a few weeks ago. IF I recall one of the dev's, Matt, I think, posted an answer. When I get back to a real computer I'll try to find it.

Thanks for reporting the issue! In the next release, you will be able to specify whether sequences should share the same windows shell command or whether you are assigning a new command (separate from the others).

The copy button copies the selected existing command to the "new command" box so you can use an existing command as the basis for a new one. The delete button allows you to delete commands that are no longer used.

Specifying a new command from the revised screen will only affect the sequence that is open.

Matt

image.png

3 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Any chance of it showing up in S4

Nope. We're just going to keep adding features to S5 until you can no longer resist ?

5 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Then how about individual channel level editing of RGB channels

I know that is what you are looking for -- trying to figure out how to make it happen.

Matt

Thanks Matt   This is a great feature to share the commands.  This will work great since the replacement variables diminish the need for the commands to be different.  

Sorry I dont know what S5 does in this area, but S4 drops the shell command when SaveAs is used.   It would be nice if there was an option to keep the same command key as the parent. 

Maybe some day the time at which the command is executed will be available?     Instead of only when play starts.   10 seconds before the end will be useful.

7 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Thanks for reporting the issue! In the next release, you will be able to specify whether sequences should share the same windows shell command or whether you are assigning a new command (separate from the others).

The copy button copies the selected existing command to the "new command" box so you can use an existing command as the basis for a new one. The delete button allows you to delete commands that are no longer used.

Specifying a new command from the revised screen will only affect the sequence that is open.

Very nice Matt.  Thanks!

Just an FYI, as a test, after exiting any S5 programs, I blew away my cmdmap.lcm file and started over.  OK, I really changed the name to a backup name and opened it in NotePad so I could copy and past the filenames of the Windows commands, so I did not have to retype them.  Then started S5.1.4 Sequencer and opened each file in my year round landscaping show that should execute a Windows command and re-created them.  Then I looked at the newly created cmdmap.lcm file and it looked exactly like the backup.  So far, so good.

A little backup info.  For example at the beginning of my year round landscaping evening show there is a sequence called Landscape startup 2018-09-09.loredit (and the associated play.las, play.las.lcs. and play.las.pe.lid files).  Early this month when I created the Fallen Firefighters memorial show, I opened Landscape startup 2018-09-09.loredit, edited the lights to make the yard red and saved as a new sequence with a filename of Fire memorial startup 2018-10-01.loredit.  Then created the play files.  Back to today.  Next step was to open Fire memorial startup 2018-10-01.loredit so I could add the Windows command to it.  Lo and behold, it showed that there was already a Windows command for that sequence and that command was the command for Landscape startup 2018-09-09.loredit  If I edit the Windows command in Fire memorial startup 2018-10-01.loredit, it affects Landscape startup 2018-09-09.loredit.  The same situation exists for the other sequences created for the Fire memorial week show.

In other words, apparently because I had opened the file, edited it and saved it with a new name, the Windows command key data in the cmdmap.lcm is the same for both the original sequence and the copied version.  If I am understanding what is happening correctly, even your solution a few posts above would not fix it because the key is the same for both files, so changing either one would change both.  Is there a solution, or can I no longer edit a sequence and save it with a new name and have it execute a different Windows command.

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

If I am understanding what is happening correctly, even your solution a few posts above would not fix it because the key is the same for both files, so changing either one would change both. 

The solution shown above will work because selecting "new command" forces a new key. When you select "existing command" it uses the same key. So will have control over what happens going forward.

Matt

14 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

The solution shown above will work because selecting "new command" forces a new key. When you select "existing command" it uses the same key. So will have control over what happens going forward.

OK, great!  Any idea when that version will come out?

Jim articulated the issue better than I did on my initial post...thanks Jim!  And awaiting the new release since I have the shows integrated with my home automation system (it turns off/on other non-LOR controlled lights at beginning and end of shows, along with notifying me that everything is running fine (ie no 'running this sequence' trigger of my home automation system results in my system notifying me of an issue before the viewers do)).

And I would like to put a plug in for a CMD line input (or software toggle) into the LOR shows/sequences.  To replace or in lieu of the Interactive Triggering from a LOR light controller for interactive sequences.

Right now I have my home automation system toggle LOR via the inputs on a LOR light controller.  The downsides of this are:  a. puts additional hardware in the loop (home automation software to relay switches to LOR light Controller to LOR software).  b. I have to leave one LOR controller on a non-high speed connection (LOR light controller inputs are only registered on non-high speed connections..ie additional hardware of a COM, and separate LOR network).

In addition to the downsides I mentioned, it would be nice to do CMD line launch of a show/sequence for two specific purposes I have: 1. When not doing Christmas I use the RGB floods to light up the house, normally all white. It would be nice to trigger special day sequences to light it up uniquely for the day (ie Patriotic, Halloween, Valentines Day, etc.).  Right now it is a kludge job trying to remember doing it on the special day and or with the limited interactive inputs.  2. On the 4th of July I do fireworks synchronized to a 16 CCR matrix show (check me out on youtube by searching 'Indiana Johnson 4th of july').  The fireworks are launched from a sequenced fire control system, the CCR matrix from LOR and my home automation system to the LOR lighting controller input.  A CMD line launch/toggle of some type would make it a lot easier and reliable.

Ken J.

For the "special" days, you don't need to use interactives to trigger specific shows.  Just using the calendar entry instead of the week entry in the Schedule Editor.  You can schedule as far in advance as you want.  Every year, I do the following "special" shows:  Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Light Up for Autism night, Police Memorial Week, July 4th week, Fallen Firefighter Memorial week, and Pre-Halloween week, Halloween night.  Although I usually don't, I could schedule all of those at the beginning of January when I shut down the Christmas show.

As for July 4th fireworks, I crew on a professional show, so the lights running are all that happens at home that night...