Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Al Saunders

Regular string mega tree

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I was wondering how I can create a mega tree in the visualizer for regular strings not pixels and not RGB. I need to make a 48 channel 360 mega tree with regular strings. I see the tree wizard but from what I can see it only applies to pixel trees. This is going to be a basic, non spiral tree going from the top of the tree to the ground.

Is there a wizard somewhere to create this or do I need to draw 48 lines/strings? If I need to draw them, not sure how to make them in a cone shape. I would appreciate any help given. :)

 

Thanks and have a great day,

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at you behind the scenes. Impressive.?

How many physical multi-light-string strands? 4 AC controllers?  (I run a 9 strand, 1/2 circle, 2 color per strand (some doubled up on the same circuit) on a single controller. The weight is getting up there.

OT

Wouldn't RGB be simpler (and way less cords)? 2 CMB24's can run 100 @ 12V strings per port with ease (~25A per bank: white)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi TheDucks,

Thanks I appreciate that. I will update that page with more photos during this years set up.

You're right a RGB tree probably would be easier but I already have 24 strings of 4 colors of c6 70 count strings. I also already have the mega tree kit from Christmas Light Show. I am actually planning on having 48 channels going across 3 controllers instead of 96 strings/channels on 6 controllers. I have that many, just trying to conserve them where I can. I do have 16 strings of square pixels running on DMX and I also have the LOR CCRII tree kit but not sure if I can get either of those in this years show. Since we have moved to our new house with a large front/side yard I can have a "Real" mega tree. I have been wanting and planning this for years. I know the RGB trees and spiral trees are cool and I like them too but I just want the wow factor of a 22' tall mega tree.

Thanks,

Al

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this and can send it tonight. What’s your email address?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Katiek said:

Can you send one to me as well please?

Katiek2811@yahoo.com

How many colors per bundle? And how many bundles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katiek said:

Can you send one to me as well please?

Katiek2811@yahoo.com

 

29 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

How many colors per bundle? And how many bundles?

sent you a 16 bundle 3 color & 16 bundle 4 color....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mega Arch,

Thanks for the reply and offer. I am planning on having 24 strings/bundles of 4 colors. It will go across 3 controllers as recommended by Tom/Santa's Helper. My email address is bigman352@gmail.com . I'm doubling up the strings so each super string will have 8 light strings instead of 4 but each color on the string will be on the same channel.

Again, thanks for the help. Have a great day/evening.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Al Saunders said:

Hi Mega Arch,

Thanks for the reply and offer. I am planning on having 24 strings/bundles of 4 colors. It will go across 3 controllers as recommended by Tom/Santa's Helper. My email address is bigman352@gmail.com . I'm doubling up the strings so each super string will have 8 light strings instead of 4 but each color on the string will be on the same channel.

Again, thanks for the help. Have a great day/evening.

Al

sent you what you need.

reading your plan - I have a suggestion - double them up on the power like you are planning to. allowing you stay with the 48 channels. BUT don't twist into 8 string superstrands. Keep them as 4 color 4 string superstrands. Then they will make your tree fuller - as you will see 24 superstrands, not 12 mega superstrands. you, me, Tom will be the only ones knowing they are tide together.... I have mine setup that way on 32 superstrands of 4 colors on 64 channels. I've helped Tom setup - he puts 3 superstrands powered together, but kept separate to look fuller. I think you will be happier that way.

post pics/vids when you are done and good luck.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

reading your plan - I have a suggestion - double them up on the power like you are planning to. allowing you stay with the 48 channels. BUT don't twist into 8 string superstrands. Keep them as 4 color 4 string superstrands. Then they will make your tree fuller - as you will see 24 superstrands, not 12 mega superstrands. you, me, Tom will be the only ones knowing they are tide together.... I have mine setup that way on 32 superstrands of 4 colors on 64 channels. I've helped Tom setup - he puts 3 superstrands powered together, but kept separate to look fuller. I think you will be happier that way.

Well said Daniel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Daniel/Mega Arch,

Thanks again for the files. I'm sorry I didn't specify that I have a total of 96 strings (24 strings each of 4 colors) for the tree. So instead of having each individual string have its own channel and occupy 96 channels I am doubling up the same color and using 48 channels/3 controllers. I will make as you both have suggested 24 - 4 color super strings and connect the same color to the next string so that two strings of the same color will be lite per channel. I now see/get you using 64 channels so that each controller is a separate color. That's a great idea, not sure if I have time to make 32 superstrings as I haven't even started making any yet. :P

Thanks again for all your help.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

Hi Daniel/Mega Arch,

Thanks again for the files. I'm sorry I didn't specify that I have a total of 96 strings (24 strings each of 4 colors) for the tree. So instead of having each individual string have its own channel and occupy 96 channels I am doubling up the same color and using 48 channels/3 controllers. I will make as you both have suggested 24 - 4 color super strings and connect the same color to the next string so that two strings of the same color will be lite per channel. I now see/get you using 64 channels so that each controller is a separate color. That's a great idea, not sure if I have time to make 32 superstrings as I haven't even started making any yet. :P

Thanks again for all your help.

Al

38 days til lights on is tight for sure. 

Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Al

If you dont have one: Get a tie wrap tool

https://www.amazon.com/Kinee-fastening-Die-Cast-Handle-Length/dp/B01JRGM64K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539807302&sr=8-5&keywords=tie+wrap+tool

(no need to pay $180 for a panduit. I've used both, and this one does fine )

I also use a S hook like this to put 2 colors of (14')  strands together and hang that from a Weed wacker cord (the heaviest you canget) maxi-tree (12' high). should work for 4 (a bit snug ?)  With the

https://www.amazon.com/Meetory-Christmas-Decoration-Outside-Seasonal/dp/B0777LGVN9/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1539807468&sr=8-18&keywords=christmas+light+hooks

Took me about 15min a line to assemble with the line anchored and pulled straight (horizontal).  Custom power SPT  cords inter connect to the controller. (I  Inverted some strings that shared a circuit and simply plugged those into their mate at the top ) Feeds are at ground level, controller on the pole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

....(I  Inverted some strings that shared a circuit and simply plugged those into their mate at the top ) Feeds are at ground level, controller on the pole

Thought about that myself, but didn’t. My deciding factor was the fuse is in the male end and wouldn’t want to have to crank the entire tree down. Actually blew one last year. Glad it was on the ground. 5 min fix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Thought about that myself, but didn’t. My deciding factor was the fuse is in the male end and wouldn’t want to have to crank the entire tree down. Actually blew one last year. Glad it was on the ground. 5 min fix. 

I woulda thunk it is usually the first strings fuse that blows (carries N loads)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheDucks said:

I woulda thunk it is usually the first strings fuse that blows (carries N loads)

Most likely.

But I don't have them plugged together inline at all. Using cheapo indoor cords to hook the mega tree up. Then spaced the 32 superstrands 1 ft apart at the base. So the 6" portion before the first light of the 2 strings on that channel, plugs into the extension cords - from both sides. $1 hooks up 2 strings, so $4 per superstrand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, Mega Arch said:

38 days til lights on is tight for sure. 

Good luck. 

Well, had a good weekend. Got 11 of the 24 superstrings done with the help of my wife un-bagging the strings and removing the tags and fuses from each. So far only one string has 1/2 the lights out. I replaced the fuses but that didn't do it. I'm going to check the remaining strings before contacting the vendor to see if they can help me or not (purchased during 2016 pre-sale). I don't have any extra 70 ct C6 strings but have 100 ct C6 strings I'm using for tree wraps so I may use one of those and cover the extra 30 bulbs in a contractor bag or something.

Using Tom/Santas Helper's technique of hooking the cable to two fixed points really makes if easier! I didn't get one of those zip tie tools so my thumbs are raw. LOL Anyway, I'll post pics soon.

Have a great day everyone!

Al

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

Well, had a good weekend. Got 11 of the 24 superstrings done with the help of my wife un-bagging the strings and removing the tags and fuses from each. So far only one string has 1/2 the lights out. I replaced the fuses but that didn't do it. I'm going to check the remaining strings before contacting the vendor to see if they can help me or not (purchased during 2016 pre-sale). I don't have any extra 70 ct C6 strings but have 100 ct C6 strings I'm using for tree wraps so I may use one of those and cover the extra 30 bulbs in a contractor bag or something.

Using Tom/Santas Helper's technique of hooking the cable to two fixed points really makes if easier! I didn't get one of those zip tie tools so my thumbs are raw. LOL Anyway, I'll post pics soon.

Have a great day everyone!

Al

Fuses cove the whole string. 1/2 string is usually a bad bulb in that half  section.  (sections start at the 3 -> 2 -> 3  wire split points). See if all the bulbs are firmly seated.

If the strings have been used outdoors previously, good luck. I've had the leads rust off the LEDs (strings taken inside the heated area, powered on for 2 days before storing for the summer. and it still happened). There are tester$ (takes a lot of effort to save a cheap string)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi The Ducks,

Thanks for the tip. These are brand new just opened bags of strings. Just opened the cases on Saturday. The strings are the sealed ones from one of our online vendors so these aren't cheapo light strings. They are the full wave LED type. I have a regular light string tester but not the LED keeper tool. The bulbs aren't replaceable as far as just removing and installing a new bulb. I did notice one of the C6 plastic "Bulb/shields" was broken but the LED light inside is working as is the rest of that section. I'll have to take a closer look at the string soon and check the rest of them also.

Again, thanks for the help and advice.

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Al Saunders said:

....the vendor to see if they can help me or not (purchased during 2016 pre-sale)......

If the vendor is HLE, they should still take care of you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

If the vendor is HLE, they should still take care of you.

It is, I've ordered from them several times and have always been very happy with their product, pricing and fast shipping. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Al Saunders said:

It is, I've ordered from them several times and have always been very happy with their product, pricing and fast shipping. :)

Exact same lights on my spiral and mega trees. Other than one failure - that was a fuse - never had a failure that I needed to contact them on. But others have always said that they’re great to work with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, Mega Arch said:

38 days til lights on is tight for sure.

All 24 Strings done. My brother in law and I are planning on constructing it over this weekend. Thanks for all the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

All 24 Strings done. My brother in law and I are planning on constructing it over this weekend. Thanks for all the help!

good luck!

hope it all goes 100% as planned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks,

All up, just realized I needed 48 strings after making 48 short SPT-1 strings with inline plugs. Waiting on a shipment of male and female plugs to complete wiring it up. My neighbors and family are looking forward to seeing it lit up!

I made a quick sequence to the theme/song from 2001 a Space Odyssey to reveal to family and friends. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×