Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Editor - Background vs Musical

Jay Czerwinski

Can you have a controller called out in a background animation as well as in a musical sequence at the same time in a show?  (making sure not so send info out on the same channels.)

Background

I just added a lot of new lights to my setup on open channels in my show.  (e.g.  ground lighting, fence lighting, a couple of pumpkins on the front porch.)

I put the new lights on extra channels on my controllers throughout the yard.

What I want to do is to turn those elements on constantly for the first few nights while I get them programmed in to all of my songs.  My thinking wast to just make an animation of all of those other elements and add one new item to my Show Editor instead of updating all of my sequences.  

So, while my show is playing a musical using controller 1 channels 1-8, can i have an animation sequence running in the show background that is on controller 1 using channels 9-16? 

Thank you for your feedback and support!

Jay

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

If you have (for example) Unit 5, ID's 1-8 defined in two sequences that are playing at the same time, they will both get the commands. You will then be sending them conflicting commands, and results would not be what you expect.

Anything you want running in the background should not be defined in any other sequence, on the sequence(s) you are going to use for background.

1 minute ago, Don said:

If you have (for example) Unit 5, ID's 1-8 defined in two sequences that are playing at the same time, they will both get the commands. You will then be sending them conflicting commands, and results would not be what you expect.

Anything you want running in the background should not be defined in any other sequence, on the sequence(s) you are going to use for background.

Thanks Don, and for the FAST reply!

But can I have the same controller number?

My sequences only have channels 1-8 used on controller 1.  My sequences do not call out channels 9-16 on controller 1.

So then my background animation could have controller 1 channels 9-16 and not have a conflict event thought they are on the same controller #?

If 1/9 - 1/16 isn't configured on your sequences, then the sequence won't be sending out a signal to that unit/circuit.

• Thanks 1

I do that all of the time to inflate my inflatables at various times and songs. The kids love it when This Is Halloween plays and the inflatable start to appear.

An empty channel here and there is put to good use.

JR

• Haha 1

I did it.  Just made sure channels in my musicals were not in my background channels at the same time.    Same controller, just different channels.

dibblejr, I have always thought about doing that!  What fun!   I imagined those tall wacky wavy sales things at a car dealership - where they would be on my roof over the eave on my backyard side.  turning them on would make them appear on my roof to the street!

Thanks for the comments!!

56 minutes ago, Jay Czerwinski said:

I did it.  Just made sure channels in my musicals were not in my background channels at the same time.    Same controller, just different channels.

dibblejr, I have always thought about doing that!  What fun!   I imagined those tall wacky wavy sales things at a car dealership - where they would be on my roof over the eave on my backyard side.  turning them on would make them appear on my roof to the street!

Thanks for the comments!!

My 18' Marshmallow man is cool for Ghostbusters. Have to turn him on for 23 seconds in the previous sequence in order for him to be inflated at the first beat of GB. It works.

I have read on here in the past that it will cause damage to controllers. Well I purchased these controllers in 2006 from a guy in NY retiring from the hobby. It was basically the only thing I understood about the LOR controllers in the beginning, so I used them as such. I gave my friend my first batch of controllers since I have gradually upgraded and that controller still functions.

I don't see a reason why they could get damaged doing that, nothing more than turning on lights except its turning on a mini compressor.

JR

• The topic was locked