Light-O-Rama Forums

Edit Audio

PACVII

Anyone know if you can edit out the start of the audio. I know you can edit the overall time frame and take off time from the end. I have music that no matter how many times I try I can not get the start of the music to begin in the first few seconds. I have over 10 seconds of dead air and want to delete that out from the beginning if possible. Using V3 and can not find an edit option to delete that timing out.

You need to edit the audio with an audio editor. Most here use the free Audacity editor, but there are others.

After editing the audio, create a new sequence and copy and paste the entire sequence into the new one. 

I use Audacity to edit my songs that have the dead air you are talking about. But if you already made the sequence and you edit the audio your sequence timings will be way off. I edit the audio first then I create a new sequence.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Tom

Another vote for audacity here.  To fix your timing problems, create a new sequence with the new audio find specific timings or specific part of song to line up and then copy/paste from one sequence to the other.  Done it before, wasn’t a hassle at all lining it up

When I've edited out the beginning and end silent parts of an audio file, no need to recreate a brand new sequence at all, juts load the audio file in the SE with Media File under the Edit button at the top of the SE Screen, after loaded, turn off and then turn back on the View Waveform under the View button, once the waveform is re-displayed, you should see that that the beginning silence is now gone, but still may be a very, very short silent part, but not enough to be concerned with.

Once you have all that done, use the Skew Track option {also under the Edit button at the top},  click Skew Track and you'll get a popup asking which way to Skew the track you're in.

NOTE: NOT ALL tracks will Skew or can be Skewed at once, if you use tracks each track will need to be skewed exactly the same as the first for everything to line up!

Anyway, you want to Skew things left, it also will ask you in the popup "Time to Skew", I use 0.05 timings, but let's say your removal of the silent part moved the position 0.25 timings, just put 0.25 in the block and click OK, the entire track you're in will be moved backward {left} that many timing spaces.  Again, do this for each track and then play the sequence, hopefully if you got the timings right, the sequence will play your lights as originally sequenced.

This takes much less time that to go and create a new sequence and then copy everything over to the new one.

I use this method all the time and it has worked perfectly every time I've done it this way when I edit down an audio file that was originally longer than the edited version.

Just another way to do it or do it the best way you feel comfortable with.  Either way works, but I'd rather use the Skew option, for me, it's saved me tons of time when audio edits have been made. 

NOTE2: With the newer versions, you will also need to find where the .WAV file is located as well as the .lpx file, you will need to delete these, unless you do what I do and change the Sequence name by adding ~Edit at the end of the name, then it'll write new files {.lsv, .lcs, .lpx and .wav} for the New Media File you loaded in.

Edited by Orville

• The topic was locked