Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller works in hardware utility but doesn't in sequences

redheadsisk@gmail.com

I am not sure what is going on.

I have a 4 channel controller plugged into my computer (Microsoft Windows 10) and an easy linker to a 16 channel box outside.

When I run hardware utility I can control everything.

When I try to run a sequence or even just an animation the 4 channel box won't do anything, but the 16 channel box works fine.

Any suggestions?

How are you connected?  By that I mean, for example, from the USB adapter to the 4 channel controller then to the ELL.

What is the unit numbers of the two controllers?

What level LOR software license do you have?

What software version are you running?

For the last two, please update your forum profile to include those so those of us helping you don't keep having to ask.  The answers to those often change depending on the two answers.

44 minutes ago, redheadsisk@gmail.com said:

I am not sure what is going on.

I have a 4 channel controller plugged into my computer (Microsoft Windows 10) and an easy linker to a 16 channel box outside.

When I run hardware utility I can control everything.

When I try to run a sequence or even just an animation the 4 channel box won't do anything, but the 16 channel box works fine.

Any suggestions?

First, please fill out your profile so everyone can see what license level you have and version.

Second- what controllers do you have?

Third as I always state, the HU is like a back door. As long as your controller is connected and found in the HU, the HU will make it do anything within its capabilities. However once you close that door and walk away in SE you have to configure the controller and network properly

JR

Just now, k6ccc said:

How are you connected?  By that I mean, for example, from the USB adapter to the 4 channel controller then to the ELL.

What is the unit numbers of the two controllers?

What level LOR software license do you have?

What software version are you running?

For the last two, please update your forum profile to include those so those of us helping you don't keep having to ask.  The answers to those often change depending on the two answers.

Mere seconds....

JR

Computer to 4 channel (which can be wireless) controller via RS485 and cat 5. Then that controller has a light linker pair to the 16 channel box outside.  Unit ID of 4 channel controller is 3 while the controller outside has ID 1. Advanced level license and version 5.1.4.

15 minutes ago, redheadsisk@gmail.com said:

Computer to 4 channel (which can be wireless) controller via RS485 and cat 5. Then that controller has a light linker pair to the 16 channel box outside.  Unit ID of 4 channel controller is 3 while the controller outside has ID 1. Advanced level license and version 5.1.4.

You still have not provided the controller(s) model. 

JR

Model, version, and firmware info needed, as that also makes a difference whether or not the controller can be run on a high speed network or not.  If you're using one.  I don't think the ELL's can run on a High Speed {HS} Network, and CTB16PC Controllers previous to Gen 3 can't run on a HS network either, don't know about the 4 channel controller, again, more info is needed on all controllers and how your network is set up will help, HS, Regular, Aux, etc.   And is your 4 channel controller sequenced in the SE, if not, it's not going to function, as the SE isn't seeing it if it's not there.   So nothing will happen.

Is this what your network looks like?

Computer > USB485 > CTB04PC > ELL > ELL > CTB16PCG3

Or are you using a CTB04-ELL?

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

The 4 channel controller is a CTB04-PC-ELL controller.  As for the 16 channel controller- I bought it several years ago, before the plastic case ones came out, not sure of its model number. 

My network is close to  as Mr. P described 

Computer>USB485>CTB04-PC-ELL> ELL> ELL> 16 channel controller.

Can I use the CTB04-PC-ELL and link to the other box without the extra linker?

I believe I have everything set to regular net work speed.

When I added the CTB04-PC-ELL to my sequences, I just added the 4 channels individually and set the Unit ID and Channel number.  It has been so long since I added a new controller, so maybe I forgot a step in that process? Also new to the wireless and easy linker, so there was a bit of a learning curve with that. 

The 16 channel controller if not gen 3 may not work on the same NW as the others. I am not sure of the CTB04

You may require an additional NW

JR

If you are trying to run sequences from the sequence editor, be sure the control lights option is checked.

22 minutes ago, redheadsisk@gmail.com said:

For some weird reason I cannot click the control lights option.

Dumb question department.  You are talking about the Control Lights on the Control Lights pull out tab on the right?

Since you did not answer my question at all, I am going to assume you mean the Control Lights pull out tab on the right.  In the bottom part of that tab where is says "Ready to control lights", it will list the various LOR networks and DMX that you have configured in Network Preferences.  Are all of the networks actually present?  If not, are those networks checked?  If the control panel can't find a network, it will give a warning when you attempt to check Control Lights, and then uncheck it.

If on the other hand, you mean Menu > Windows > Control Lights, all that does is enable the Control Lights pullout tab on the right.  That does not enable the lights. 

Also, do you have the LOR Control Panel running (which in turn starts the Comm Listener)?

My apologies for not understanding your question. I attempted to answer many of these questions to the best of my abilities. Perhaps LOR isn’t for me.  Thank you for your time.

15 hours ago, redheadsisk@gmail.com said:

My apologies for not understanding your question. I attempted to answer many of these questions to the best of my abilities. Perhaps LOR isn’t for me.  Thank you for your time.

Are you running the Light-O-Rama Control Panel?   If this IS NOT active, red LOR Bulb icon in lower right on task bar, if the bulb icon is NOT there, then the Control Panel IS NOT loaded, once you have that loaded, then and only then can you select the Control Lights in the LOR SE under the Play Menu.   If CP is NOT running, then the Control Lights will be greyed out and NOT selectable.

Also once you have the CP running, right click on the bulb and make sure these options are checked off:

Use Compressed Sequences {this one is optional, I check it to save drive space and load times}.

Show Player Memory Restarts {I've always checked this one, but not entirely sure how it functions}.

Launch at Startup {this one always makes sure the CP is loaded on a reboot of your system}.

LOR is actually much easier than it sounds at times, just sometimes some of the most obvious criteria gets overlooked and very easily missed, creating issues for the end user that has not learned how the software suite interfaces with other parts of it that are required for some things to function and work properly.

Don't give up on it, I'm sure it's probably something quite easy that has been overlooked somewhere along setting your software and hardware up.

My tag line below says it all, we've all been through something during set up, running a show and other things that makes us think just what my tag line implies. LOL