Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR II and CCR IIB Wiring PixCon16

BradH

I have 4 ribbons setup currently and want to expand my display. I've have some of the older CCR ribbons that have 4 wires and have seen some of the newer one 3 wires. Can these 3 wire CCR be connected to a PixCon16. If so how?

Thanks,

Brad

I don't know much about the PixCon16, but if it can output dual voltages, that is 5V for the 4 wire 5V ribbons and 12V for the 3 wire newer CCR II ribbons, it could be done, but it would also need a dual power supply input  So if it can have a separate 5v input and a separate 12v input and each have it's own output, then it would be able to run both.   Hopefully one of the other folks here with more experience with dual power supplies and different voltage ribbons off the same controller will chime in and tell you exactly how it can be accomplished, if at all with that unit.

EDIT: Just checked.

Yes, the PixCon16 does support dual voltages.  If you have your manual handy, check in there for how to wire dual power supplies for different rated voltages of your pixels.

And if you misplaced your manual, click here to view or download a copy:

PixCon16 Manual

NOTE: one area says it can do dual supplies, but I don't see it, or couldn't locate it in the manual in the powering section.   So hopefully someone that has done this will chime in here with the how to on doing it.

Edited by Orville

The other issue is that the old CCRs are LPD6803 (12v, 4-wire) and the new CCRs are WS2811 (12v, 3-wire) and the board cannot do two types at the same time. All ports must use the same IC type.

Original CCR - LPD6803,  12v

Original CCP - LPD6803,   5v

Original CCB - LPD6803,   5v

Edited by Mr. P

1 hour ago, Orville said:

I don't know much about the PixCon16, but if it can output dual voltages, that is 5V for the 4 wire 5V ribbons and 12V for the 3 wire newer CCR II ribbons, it could be done, but it would also need a dual power supply input  So if it can have a separate 5v input and a separate 12v input and each have it's own output, then it would be able to run both.   Hopefully one of the other folks here with more experience with dual power supplies and different voltage ribbons off the same controller will chime in and tell you exactly how it can be accomplished, if at all with that unit.

EDIT: Just checked.

Yes, the PixCon16 does support dual voltages.  If you have your manual handy, check in there for how to wire dual power supplies for different rated voltages of your pixels.

And if you misplaced your manual, click here to view or download a copy:

PixCon16 Manual

NOTE: one area says it can do dual supplies, but I don't see it, or couldn't locate it in the manual in the powering section.   So hopefully someone that has done this will chime in here with the how to on doing it.

Bank 1 also powers the board, so if you use different  voltages for each bank, make #1 12V

a bank is 8 ports. If you make bank 2 5V, the all 8 ports are 5V

20 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The other issue is that the old CCRs are LPD6803 (12v, 4-wire) and the new CCRs are WS2811 (12v, 3-wire) and the board cannot do two types at the same time. All ports must use the same IC type.

Original CCR - LPD6803,  12v

Original CCP - LPD6803,   5v

Original CCB - LPD6803,   5v

Interesting to know, I thought all the old version I CCR's as well as the CCP's and CCB's were all 5V.  But see the CCR is actually 12V and only the CCB's and CCP's are the 5v pixels.   I'll make sure to make note of that, as well as the other info about the PixCon16.   just in case I ever try one or opt to go that route, doubtful, but you never know.  Me, I prefer pre-made, tested and fully assembled. :)

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to remove the old 4 wire and replace them with 3 wire new ones. I don't see anything in the manual about wiring the 3 wire type and I've haven't ordered any of the new ones to see if they document that. Do the 3 wire not use the clock or something?

Thanks,Image1.jpg.efb870bd6237c9140c0c99dc752586b1.jpg
Brad

25 minutes ago, BradH said:

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to remove the old 4 wire and replace them with 3 wire new ones. I don't see anything in the manual about wiring the 3 wire type and I've haven't ordered any of the new ones to see if they document that. Do the 3 wire not use the clock or something?

Thanks,Image1.jpg.efb870bd6237c9140c0c99dc752586b1.jpg
Brad

3 wire have no clock leads. skip that terminal  (it was in one of the older manuals, but I can't find a word in the current one LOR might want to flesh out the section on String connectors as it does not even hav the  pins described)

Edited by TheDucks