Light-O-Rama Forums

Input pup for enhanced network

PCRail

May I please have an input pup that will operate on an enhanced network. My pup is very lonely on that un-enhanced network. Thank you.

Richard

Very unlikely - at least based on my assumption about how an enhanced network operates.  I fully admit that what I'm about to say is speculation on my part because LOR has never really said what is different about an enhanced network. 

[Jim's speculation mode on]  On a normal LOR network, any device on the network can send or receive data.  Because only one device can send data at the same time, there needs to be a lot of gaps in sending data so that some other device can jump in to send something.  This is variation on what is sometimes called an "Aloha network".  This is similar to the way early Ethernet networks operated (how many of you remember Ethernet over coaxial cable)?  The result of all these gaps is that about the maximum that you can get out of a data network is about 40% of the total capacity.  My speculation is that a LOR enhanced network turns that into a one way operation and the sending computer or director includes a command that the LOR controllers understand that tells them all to shut up.  That way the show computer or director does not need to leave the gaps in the data.  Without the gaps, there is no way for an InputPup (or other controller with inputs) to jump in to send it's data.  [/Jim's speculation mode off]

I also have an InputPup that sits on my only non-enhanced network all by itself...

As is usually the case, Jim is correct.  ELOR is UNI directional from the sender, be it a computer or MP3 director, to the receivers (the controllers). 

Not only does this mean we don't have to do line turnarounds, but that we can reduce the amount of framing needed which allows us to pump more data with less overhead.

47 minutes ago, DevMike said:

As is usually the case, Jim is correct. 

Gee thanks Mike.  It was what made sense.  People often don't realize how much time is spent doing turnarounds and re-framing.  Avoid or reduce those and the total throughput goes up a lot...

Thanks everyone. I understand a lot more than I did before this conversation. I'll just get that lonely pup a therapist and carry on.

Richard

34 minutes ago, DevMike said:

We can sell you some more stuff to put on that network with the Pup so he's not lonely.  No problem!!! :D :P

I'm sure you can!

Actually I do have an ELL on that network and one of these days I will finish building a remote control box that will have three more InputPups and a ServoDog.  The outputs of the ServoDog will drive a pair of 4 bit binary to 1 of 16 decoder chips which will in turn drive one of 30 LEDs.  Those will indicate which sequence is currently playing.  The inputs from the ServoDog and InputPups will each be connected to a push button that will allow selecting a song to play via Interactive sequence groups.  Primary use will be pre-season testing.  I will have a show that has my overnight landscaping sequence running.  When one of the pushbuttons is pressed, it will trigger an interactive group that will start the requested sequence.  The three InputPups, ServoDog, an ELL, and batteries will be crammed into a slightly oversized handheld box.  Started on it last year and did not have time.  Never got back to finish building it this year.  Really need to...