Light-O-Rama Forums

50X64 Matrix Prop Setup

jamills706

I have read other posts but can't seem to find a clear answer - I have a new matrix - and I"ve been trying to play around with S5 but it just won't do all that I want - so I am contemplating returning to S4 - however, most all of my pixel strings are the 12-volt 100 bulb strings.

So my matrix --- it is 50 pixels high by 64 pixels wide - they are strings of 100 so 32 strings of pixels with 1 fold in each to give the 64 columns of pixels.

It seems to only let me choose CCR or DMX - neither of which is correct - they are the flat pixels - not DMX or CCR.

The matrix wizard sure doesn't seem to be able to handle that in S4 - and I believe I have the latest version of S4 downloaded onto my computer.

Has anyone successfully created anything like this? How do you do it?

Edited by jamills706

In the S5 Preview Editor, it took less than one minute to create your matrix with the information you supplied.  You did not provide the channel assignments or physical layout, so I just used the defaults.

S5-1.4_Matrix_for_jamills.png

Correct that layout and give me the channel assignments and I'll add them and send you the prop file.

Yep - very true - but I was asking how to do it in S4 because I can't get what I want from S5 - not in prop creation but in sequencing.

I have it in S5 - not in S4 - S4 doesn't let me choose bulbs/flat pixels/bullets - only CCR or DMX and limits it to 50 when these are 100.

10 minutes ago, jamills706 said:

I have it in S5 - not in S4 - S4 doesn't let me choose bulbs/flat pixels/bullets - only CCR or DMX and limits it to 50 when these are 100.

S4 only accommodates strings of 50 unless you use DMX strings. That is one of the features they fixed in S5.

Correct S4 does not allow LOR strings greater than 50 pixels.  DMX can be longer.  LOR has been aware of that for several years and I recall that it has been stated that they do not expect to fix that in S4 (no guarantee on that statement).

BTW, whether it is CCR vs bulbs vs flat pixels, vs bullets is completely irrelevant to sequencing.  All that matters is the channel assignments - Network, Unit ID and Channel for LOR or Universe and channel for DMX.

2 minutes ago, jamills706 said:

And if I do select CCR - because that is similar - it ceases 64 UnitIDs and I only have 32.

I don't understand your statement.  Do you mean that it only allows you to change the Unit ID for a CCR to anything above Unit ID 32?

No - I have 32 strings of 100 pixels which fold in the middle giving 64 columns of pixels. 

I understand that CCR/CCP/CCB all sequence the same but one cannot set a CCR to have more than 50 pixels and therefor I end up with 64 UnitIDs instead of only the accurate number of UnitIDs which would be 32.

I want Unit Ids 50-5F on a Pixie16 as the left half of my matrix with Unit Ids 60-6F on a second Pixie 16 as the right half o my Matrix.

Yes, I have that set up in S5 and it works - but there is no layer priority in S5 so all my layers just muddy together and it looks like crap!!!! So I thought, no problem, I'll sequence the matrix itself in xLights and then export the matrix as an S5 clipboard and paste it in - well that crashes and burns in a miserable failure! Not sure i it is xLights aunt in their export or LORs fault in the pasting - but either way - it just plain doesn't work. So then I though, OK, I'll go back to S4 because in SuperStar at least I can get layer priority - well - in S4 I cannot set up my props!

So what is the solution????????

It is looking more and more like I simply will be unable to have anything but a few blinky flashy lights - nothing with any sophistication - I am beyond frustrated at this point!!!!!

9 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Correct S4 does not allow LOR strings greater than 50 pixels.  DMX can be longer.  LOR has been aware of that for several years and I recall that it has been stated that they do not expect to fix that in S4 (no guarantee on that statement).

BTW, whether it is CCR vs bulbs vs flat pixels, vs bullets is completely irrelevant to sequencing.  All that matters is the channel assignments - Network, Unit ID and Channel for LOR or Universe and channel for DMX.

I don't understand your statement.  Do you mean that it only allows you to change the Unit ID for a CCR to anything above Unit ID 32?

Usually folding a string is a feature in the controller programing. The Pixie controllers do not allow the folding of strings and that is why the Pixie's are cheaper, they leave out a lot of features.

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Usually folding a string is a feature in the controller programing. The Pixie controllers do not allow the folding of strings and that is why the Pixie's are cheaper, they leave out a lot of features.

Well - on a Pixie8 which drives the 16X25 pixel trees LOR sells the string is folded at 25 pixels in the Visualizer. I don't see where folding a 100 pixel string is any different on a Pixie16 than folding a 50 pixels string on a Pixie8...but clearly the fact that it is beyond 50 pixels is the problem here.

If you were going to use SuperStar in S4, that means you must have (or plan to get) a 24 CCR level or higher SuperStar license.  If that's the case, why can't you use SuperStar in S5?

The only real question I have is when defining a fold in the S5 Preview, does it create it as channels 1 - 150 as column 1 from bottom to top and channels 151 - 300 as column 2 from top to bottom, or does it create it as channels 1 - 150 as column 1 from bottom to top and channels 151 - 300 as column 2 from bottom to top?  I am going to suspect that I would be the former, ikn which case the lack of "fold" in the pixie setup would not be a problem at all.

2 minutes ago, jamills706 said:

.but clearly the fact that it is beyond 50 pixels is the problem here.

Correct.

I guess I can use SuperStar in S5 - but when I tried to use it it said I needed a higher license -  I have a 60 (I think) CCR license - so not sure about that.

The point though was that many folks have said they could export complex graphics from xLights on their matrix to LOR S4 as a clipboard which I thought might be a possible solution for some of the things I was hoping to accomplish. It simply does not work in S5 and LOR says it's xLights fault and xLights says its LORs fault - so who really knows!?!?!?

The end result is that I cannot get my clipboard or exported avis from xLights to import into LORS5 - so I thought I'd try S4 again to do that - but I cannot creat my matrix there to do the import!

Even using Super Star in S5 I am not looking forward to trying to accomplish some of the complex animations I have in mind....like built in Papagayo support or animating a singing face (not a coro face with strings of pixels but rather actual animated graphical faces on the matrix). I did a couple of them in the past in LOR S4 using different images for the individual phonemes

- but having to put in all of those individual images by hand is VERY tedious on a good day and xLights does all that work for me.

18 minutes ago, jamills706 said:

I guess I can use SuperStar in S5 - but when I tried to use it it said I needed a higher license -  I have a 60 (I think) CCR license - so not sure about that.

I did the math wrong on my earlier post (trying to do too many things at once).  Your 50 x 64 matrix is 3200 pixels or 9600 channels.  A 60 CCR (or 9000 channel) SuperStar license is not big enough.  That's the last upgrade I had to do (9000 to 12000 channels.

18 minutes ago, jamills706 said:

The point though was that many folks have said they could export complex graphics from xLights on their matrix to LOR S4 as a clipboard which I thought might be a possible solution for some of the things I was hoping to accomplish. It simply does not work in S5 and LOR says it's xLights fault and xLights says its LORs fault - so who really knows!?!?!?

Never played with xLights - and have no plans to do so...

Edited by k6ccc

I only tried looking at xLights because I could not do some of the things I had in mind in S5. I'd prefer to stay entirely with LOR - but the current things I have in mind cannot be done easily in S5. And now I find S4 won't work with the lighting equipment I have.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Never played with xLights - and have no plans to do so...