Light-O-Rama Forums
Orville

So how many of you have overheard your neighbors comments when you start putting your show up?

1 hour ago, Orville said:

I have a ton of single channel sequences that are for use during my off hours times.  So I was thinking I might add them to the musical tab, and let them run in the background while the animation files {3 of them} run in the foreground.   If that's possible, haven't experimented with it yet, so not sure if I can do that.  But that was what I was thinking of doing only on Halloween night.

That’s how it works.  Put one or more animation sequences in the Animation tab and they will cycle in the background.  Put musical sequences that only have a non-existent channel in the musical tab.  The musical sequences will play music and the non-existent lighting channel and the animation sequences will control the lights.  That is exactly what I do on Halloween night.

20 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That’s how it works.  Put one or more animation sequences in the Animation tab and they will cycle in the background.  Put musical sequences that only have a non-existent channel in the musical tab.  The musical sequences will play music and the non-existent lighting channel and the animation sequences will control the lights.  That is exactly what I do on Halloween night.

Thanks Jim.  great to know.  I'll set that up.  Thank you.

My only comment this year was my neighbor who came over and said his kids were now bugging him to put up lights and he is annoyed about it. I smiled and offered him the use of my ladder and that I would help

Edited by Thebug
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Thebug said:

My only comment this year was my neighbor who came over and said his kids were now bugging him to put up lights and he is annoyed about it. I smiled and offered him the use of my ladder and that I would help

I actually had my voice over guy create a voice over that I play every four songs that gives a 90 second photo op with all the lights on for people to take pictures. It literally tells kids that if you enjoyed this display, ask your parents to join you in creating a display of their own. It tells them to consider it a family tradition and ask your parents every year to let you help putting up the lights.... what's funny is when I'm outside and it plays, the kids hear that part and boy do they perk up and start asking their parents to put up Christmas lights.... I smile every time I hear it lol

• Like 1

Only one comment but it's a hard one to beat.

Several years ago, was on the ladder starting halloween install.  Heheard a young boy as they were riding bikes, telll his sister exitetaly,"he's putting up lights' and headed back to his house up the stree.

Few minutes later, he hauls his mom to my house to show that I was putting juplight.  I  Stopped to talk to her and she said her son gets realy excited with the lights. Every time they drive home in the evening, they have to stop and watch for a few sones and he also watches from his bedroom.

Many years ago, useto put up 25,000 incandecent bulb but got to be a chore checking bulbs.  So stopped doing the lights. First year after not doing it, neighborhood kid coming hoem from school said, I really miss your Christmas light

I got a comment just yesterday asking why I had not started putting up my Christmas display yet.  But in reality they already knew the answer cause it has been raining nearly every day for the past month here. I can't start setting it up because I still need to mow my 1 acre yard.

18 minutes ago, Light_addiction said:

I got a comment just yesterday asking why I had not started putting up my Christmas display yet.  But in reality they already knew the answer cause it has been raining nearly every day for the past month here. I can't start setting it up because I still need to mow my 1 acre yard.

Gee, I didn't know you lived in my neighborhood!   I just got that same comment Tuesday night too, just as I was finishing up adding the last of my RGB lights and controllers, and so I offered him the same deal as you did! ???

Edited by Orville
  • Haha 1

Several neighbors have commented this year as I started putting up Halloween décor a couple of weeks ago, asking will I be doing my Christmas display again and in the same breath, what's new for this year. Also have 3 immediate neighbors asking to help put Christmas stuff up when I start. Sounds like a great deal to me!

I've had a couple of young kids tell me this year how much they like the lights.  Warms your heart!

The first house I owned was across the street from a church and was the only house on the block (it was a very short block). So I never had issues with neighbors and it helped that the church parking lot was great for viewing the display.

This year will be my first year in an actual neighborhood with an HOA so I am doing my best to put up a bigger display and then sit back and see if the HOA facebook page goes crazy. Over the past 7 months living in my new house, I have seen quite a few people complain about petty things. So I am sure I will get complaints this year. Whether or not I care is another story.

So I'm building a new prop this year for our Christmas display, some people are looking, some are talking a bit or saying hi. One person stops to ask us what we're doing. Happily, we explain what we do. She was really excited because she recently moved into a house in our neighborhood and she said she'd stop by when it's all up.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:59 PM, dibblejr said:

I actually had a group of neighbors stop by and ask if they could help today, since I am late for show start...

We actually had the same thing happen last night! These neighbrors were out walking and asked "Oh wow! You guys have a lot going on! Is there anything we can do to help?" - So we let them untangle a knot of extension cords. ? (I doubt they will ever ask if they can help again!) 

As for rude comments, we got a LOT of rude comments our first year or two... But not such much any more. Now everyone who comes by when we are out working says something along the lines of "Oh my gosh!! I'm so excited that it's almost that time of year again!! We can't wait to see your lights!! They are the best in the area!" ?‍♂️

We do have some new people in the neighborhood for this year, but so far none of them have said anything... They just drive by REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY slow.

3 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

They just drive by REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY slow

All I have up is some wire and tonight I had two slow drive bys.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

All I have up is some wire and tonight I had two slow drive bys.

The joys of this hobby... ?

I've been lighting this house in one form or another for 15 years now, starting with a static display, to a gingerbread house static display, adding a "Mr. Christmas" unit, then switching to LOR, using mini-lights, then LED, and finally adding in RGB.  My show runs Halloween from early October through Halloween, then Christmas from Thanksgiving night to a few days past New Years day, typically running from 6-11, and longer when Christmas arrives.  I've had only 1 complaint....well, maybe 20(??!!) from the same guy, my new neighbor.  Most people tell me they can't wait to see it, that I'm a tradition for their families,they bring all their friends by, etc.  I don't advertise it because I don't want the traffic....its for my community, friends, and neighbors.  Anyway, this guy has told everyone except me its too loud, too bright, and too long, and its affecting his son's sleep. His son said it wasn't when I asked him, so human shield?  He went to all my neighbors and asked if they would help shut me down, but they all said they loved it!  He went to the homeowners association, and ....they said they loved it.  He called the police 4 or 5 times....once I was outside when they pulled up and guess what?  They loved it!  He also sent the police to the wrong address, my other neighbor (who loves the shows), who is a police officer, so she had to go through internal affairs processing 3 times because a police car was dispatched to her house!  On Halloween, we served hotdogs and beverages to both kids and adults...its a little party in the front yard.  He had the nerve to come over and partake, but was mostly shunned because everyone knew what he had done.   i haven't heard much from him in the last year or two, so maybe he finally "sees the light"?   LOL

• Like 1