Light-O-Rama Forums

Questions on 16 channel starter package

cgn0002

I am about to purchase the Showtime central starter package. I know this package only has 16 channels and am curious if this is enough? Most of the sequences I have looked at are way more than 16 channels. I just want it to look good even with 16 channels. I am not planning on any major structures to build with the light show. I currently have 1 large tree I string lights on. Other than that, everything on the house is outlined. There is some decor in the yard as well that will be in a channel. Currently I have a light show controlled on a device. It's similar to a Mr. Christmas except this is 6 outlet controlled on an app. 

Essentially, is 16 channels enough for a good show? Anything I should know prior to purchasing? Will most likely purchase within the next week. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

The starter package is good for 16 channels on your first year. It allows you to not get too overwhelmed and to get the hang of sequencing. but, your second year however I would suggest going up in your channel count. Some people prefer more. But just getting started yes it will do the job.

Fair warning most of us always end up buying more controllers lol. some people are up in the hundreds of channels but your first year to really get your feet wet, me personally I would suggest 16 or 32 the first year. Most sequences out there that are for sale or share are normally 32 channels or more. however this is an addictive Hobby and many of us are up in the hundreds of channels once the "I gotta go bigger" kicks in. At that point you will find yourself adding more controllers and going further with this Hobby.

One suggestion I would say before you get started so you can see how quickly channels will run out, is download the demo software, design your layout of your house. then decide where you want lights and what you want to do with them. 16 channels will run out very fast. it never hurts to have an extra controller on hand in case you realize you want to do something else. 

Go to the LOR website displays and watch some of the 16 channel displays.  It will give you an idea of what can be done with 16 channels.

The first song in this video is from when I was 16 channels back in 2005.

Hey Yall.

Last year was my first year, I built the 16 channel controller kit, put up all the led lites I had been collecting,( I had a large static display) programed one music selection. Then I pressed play and stood in the middle of the street and went OS, I need MORE CHANNELS. I bought another kit in the summer sale,it's built ready to go All year I have been collecting more led lites here and there, so now I have about twice the number of lites, and just about finished sequencing five new songs. I cant wait to see it in action. I have already stared hanging lites, and I will be the first to order two more controllers in the spring sale.

I tried to make a video of it last year , but we live near I95 in Fort Lauderdale and a train so there was so much road noise ya couldn't here the music. I waited till 3am on Christmas day, I thought it will be quiet, nope turned every thing on went out side and here comes the  Broward sheriff's helicopter right over my head, golly . This year a FM transmitter has been installed with a tune in sign, yeah guys I got it bad. To the newbies, there is no cure for this , ya just have to get more. Having the best time of my 68 years.

David

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DLH lites said:

Hey Yall.

Last year was my first year, I built the 16 channel controller kit, put up all the led lites I had been collecting,( I had a large static display) programed one music selection. Then I pressed play and stood in the middle of the street and went OS, I need MORE CHANNELS. I bought another kit in the summer sale,it's built ready to go All year I have been collecting more led lites here and there, so now I have about twice the number of lites, and just about finished sequencing five new songs. I cant wait to see it in action. I have already stared hanging lites, and I will be the first to order two more controllers in the spring sale.

I tried to make a video of it last year , but we live near I95 in Fort Lauderdale and a train so there was so much road noise ya couldn't here the music. I waited till 3am on Christmas day, I thought it will be quiet, nope turned every thing on went out side and here comes the  Broward sheriff's helicopter right over my head, golly . This year a FM transmitter has been installed with a tune in sign, yeah guys I got it bad. To the newbies, there is no cure for this , ya just have to get more. Having the best time of my 68 years.

David

Glad you are enjoying it, makes you feel young again doesn't it.

If you are that excited with led lights God help you if you ever get into pixels.  ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DLH lites said:

I tried to make a video of it last year , but we live near I95 in Fort Lauderdale and a train so there was so much road noise ya couldn't here the music. I waited till 3am on Christmas day, I thought it will be quiet, nope turned every thing on went out side and here comes the  Broward sheriff's helicopter right over my head, golly .

David,
Glad you enjoy the hobby - your in good company here.
In regards to recording your show. Most of us here, dub the original song over the yard recording. Search the Forums for "Movie Editors" or the like. Get one and record your show when the lighting is best. Load the video of your show into a movie editor and mute the original soundtrack. Then load in the music you used for your show, sync it up and you will have a better sounding video. Create an account on Youtube or Vimeo, upload your videos and share the results here. It's theraputic ?

Alan.

6 hours ago, DLH lites said:

...yeah guys I got it bad. To the newbies, there is no cure for this , ya just have to get more. Having the best time of my 68 years.

Welcome to the addiction David!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 11:37 AM, cgn0002 said:

Anything I should know prior to purchasing?

Yes, apologize to your wallet for starting this addiction. LOL. Welcome aboard, have fun with it.

Tom