Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 help

Steven R

14 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

When you set the pixies up it will use the number of units equivalent to your pixie model. Therefor a pixie 2 will use 2 consecutive unit numbers in your case starting unit ID 3 so it will auto assign 3 & 4

HU refresh only confirms you set it as HU sees it. Once you close the door all bets are off. You need to set the dip switches to ALL off. From the factory it is set as unit 1. There fore  even while HU will let you set the unit ID as you want, as soon as you close HU it automatically reverts to unit 1. That is why you have a blinking light

My bets you got so excited you missed a step or two.

Open SE

Open A sequence

Right Click a unit or channel button

"Insert Device" above or below

Pixie 2 is in two drop down lists

If you need further help let me know

JR

JR 

Dibblejr -

i've been reading MANY of your replies...thanks for replying to me!

I have all the dip switches off, in HU set unit ID to 3 per directions, can close out of HU, go to SE and then back to HU and HU refresh recognizes the Pixie on Unit ID 3. And then I can't seem to change any other settings.

If I'm missing something, as we say in the IT Project Management world, I don't know what I don't know.

Just now, tlogan said:

Dibblejr -

i've been reading MANY of your replies...thanks for replying to me!

I have all the dip switches off, in HU set unit ID to 3 per directions, can close out of HU, go to SE and then back to HU and HU refresh recognizes the Pixie on Unit ID 3. And then I can't seem to change any other settings.

If I'm missing something, as we say in the IT Project Management world, I don't know what I don't know.

What other settings are you trying to change? Once the unit ID is set there really no more to the controller. Its all in the network

JR

2 hours ago, tlogan said:

2nd post so I can't update my profile yet....

SE version 4.3.36 Advanced 

Top right corner of any forum page where it shows your user ID.  Click to bring up the dropdown and select Profile.  On that page, just a little left and below your User ID is "Edit Profile".  Scroll down a bit to get to software version and license level.

9 hours ago, dibblejr said:

What other settings are you trying to change? Once the unit ID is set there really no more to the controller. Its all in the network

JR

Don't know if the OP is trying to use Advanced Pixel Control settings, if so, it won't work.  OP has an Advanced Level License and using any of the Advanced Pixel Controls requires the PRO license Level.  Not sure what all the Advanced Pixel Controls are {macro settings?, ?}, but none of them work in the Advanced Version of the software.   The OP may need to up their license to PRO to get things working if this might be the case.

Having RGB Pixels in a display, I think the best license to have would be PRO, then you may not hit these snags.   I was hitting a few when I only had the Advanced license, went PRO and still a few hit and misses, but I usually find I did something wrong, correct and works, same issue under an Advanced license couldn't be corrected using some of the more Advanced features of the RGB Pixels.

Can't say for certain this may be the culprit, just a suggestion to look into possibly.

9 hours ago, dibblejr said:

JR

I've just been trying to check that both ports (ribbons) are responding. Port 2 doesn't seem to be responding to any test in HU and constantly seems to be running a test twinkle type sequence (although none are specified in HU). If I click All Lights Off in HU, the ribbons turn ON full white. If I click On 100%, port 1 turns all blue and port 2 runs that twinkle sequence. And if helps any, in the HU Test window, I can't select a color other than red. In SE I can't seem to add a new device per instructions above and add the second unit, which if I understand, should be 4. When I select 4, it automatically returns to 1. And the last time I tried last night to add a new device to a new sequence, I could only add it a unit ID1. BUT, if I close SE and re-open HU and hit refresh, it recognizes Pixie2 on Unit 3.

Reading some more, do I really need a second network just for the Pixie? All I'm trying to do is add 2 arches. I have sequences containing standard channels for the arches and thought I should be able to relatively easily convert them to the ribbons.

Thanks again!

18 minutes ago, tlogan said:

I've just been trying to check that both ports (ribbons) are responding. Port 2 doesn't seem to be responding to any test in HU and constantly seems to be running a test twinkle type sequence (although none are specified in HU). If I click All Lights Off in HU, the ribbons turn ON full white. If I click On 100%, port 1 turns all blue and port 2 runs that twinkle sequence. And if helps any, in the HU Test window, I can't select a color other than red. In SE I can't seem to add a new device per instructions above and add the second unit, which if I understand, should be 4. When I select 4, it automatically returns to 1. And the last time I tried last night to add a new device to a new sequence, I could only add it a unit ID1. BUT, if I close SE and re-open HU and hit refresh, it recognizes Pixie2 on Unit 3.

Reading some more, do I really need a second network just for the Pixie? All I'm trying to do is add 2 arches. I have sequences containing standard channels for the arches and thought I should be able to relatively easily convert them to the ribbons.

Thanks again!

If all of your controllers are gen 3 than no you do not need a second network you have to select your working network with the other controllers and set the speed at 500k enhanced

If your pixie starting i it is is 3 you do not add a unit ID 4. It is done automatically, you have nothing further to do to add the pixie2

PM me with a cell and time to call and I will check your work

Are the light strings the same ones that came with the pixie?

Are they mismatched?

JR

Edited by dibblejr

If the HU recognizes the Pixie2 as ID 3 that is for string one, string two will be ID 4.

To test in the HU open the HU, at the bottom click "Pixel Console". Once open, in the bottom left click the radio button for CCB/CCP/Pixie. To the right set the Unit ID to 03 then proceed to test with the color buttons on the bottom. To test string two change the UNIT ID in the HU Pixel Console to 04 then use the color buttons on the bottom to test string two.

Now once everything is tested and works in the HU doesn't mean it will work in SE as you have to make sure the channels are configured properly in SE for it to work there.

Thanks for replies! Sorry, my work laptop went down and I got back up.

I'll check that the two controllers I bought last year are gen 3 when I get home.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to add a unit 4 in HU. In SE, I can't add a device and assign it to 4.

Maybe I am missing something. I have existing sequences that contain channels for a left and right arch. It seems to me that in SE I should be able to create a new device for Unit ID 3 and Unit ID 4 to create the same Left/Right arches.

From the  instructions above, I can't do number 16e and set it to Unit ID 4. ON my last try last night, I couldn't set it to 3 either.

9-Open SE

10- Open a sequence (if you have one from a previous year) hopefully it is yours and your config, if not open “new musical sequence) select the song

11- if old sequence right click on the controller last channel button. So if you had thise 3 AC controllers you would scroll to unit 3 circuit 16

12 - Right click

13- Add/ insert device

14- above / below 

15- If assigning as sample you would select below

16- the next box will allow you to 

a- name

b- select device pixie 2/4/8/16

c- add as group

d- select color order triples or RGB RGB rgb

e- set the unit ID same as you set in HU

g- select network LOR Regular for most people

add

You are not understanding, the software is adding unit ID 4 automatically by itself. If you assign a Pixie2 a unit ID of 3 then the software automatically assigns ID 4 as well. All Pixies use one ID per port so a Pixie2 uses two unit IDs, a pixie4 uses four unit IDs, a Pixie8 uses 8 and a Pixie16 uses 16. It doesn't matter what you assign the software assigns them itself.

In other words you don't add ID 4 the software will.

We will discuss in phone later but you need to not think about it like your ac controllers.

AC controllers you set at one unit ID and all channels work under that ID

I know it says port on the channel buttons but is actually another unit. Just like a entire controller by itself.

Its easy after you do it several hundred times

JR

7 hours ago, Orville said:

Don't know if the OP is trying to use Advanced Pixel Control settings, if so, it won't work.  OP has an Advanced Level License and using any of the Advanced Pixel Controls requires the PRO license Level.  Not sure what all the Advanced Pixel Controls are {macro settings?, ?}, but none of them work in the Advanced Version of the software.   The OP may need to up their license to PRO to get things working if this might be the case.

Having RGB Pixels in a display, I think the best license to have would be PRO, then you may not hit these snags.   I was hitting a few when I only had the Advanced license, went PRO and still a few hit and misses, but I usually find I did something wrong, correct and works, same issue under an Advanced license couldn't be corrected using some of the more Advanced features of the RGB Pixels.

Can't say for certain this may be the culprit, just a suggestion to look into possibly.

The pixies will not let you do anything in “advanced” in HU the entire page is greyed out.

Thats a good thing. LOL

I don’t know how many people try to “guess” after failing even after I offer help. Eventually they come around but at this time of year it gets harder and harder to reply.

I just can’t stand to see people stress over the pixies since I stay calm unless I have a software issue as I did a couple weeks ago- cost me 5 days of sequencing.

JR

Saw the messages that got deleted from the forum crash about the OP having issues adding controllers to the SE.

I just tried adding a PixCon16, a Pixie 2/4/8, and my SE in 4.3.36 let me add them in just fine and I don't even own any of those!   Very odd that the OP can't add in or keep what they do add in to the SE.   Something must not have cleared out completely when they did the Registry Wipe and Uninstall of the software to reinstall it. 

Even updated my Network to reflect the speeds for each 1,000 for the Pixie16 and 500k, both enhanced for them, all took and stayed intact.   So I'm at a loss as to what it could be, except for the possibility of stray files that should have gotten deleted or wiped from the registry and didn't.

Thanks responses. I'm starting to think I have a Windows issue with the laptop I'm using. I can't seem to scroll ANY dropdowns with out the selection skipping back to the first one listed. I'm running Win 8.1 and apparently the update to 8.1 screwed mouse control. I'll do some more checking because now this is a larger issue. Pretty much the only other thing I use that laptop for is to program the remote for my home theater. If I a can't do that, I'll be really p#$$%* off.

In the meantime, I'll give my wife's laptop a try. It's older hardware, but I think it got the upgrade to Win 10.

45 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Thanks responses. I'm starting to think I have a Windows issue with the laptop I'm using. I can't seem to scroll ANY dropdowns with out the selection skipping back to the first one listed. I'm running Win 8.1 and apparently the update to 8.1 screwed mouse control. I'll do some more checking because now this is a larger issue. Pretty much the only other thing I use that laptop for is to program the remote for my home theater. If I a can't do that, I'll be really p#$$%* off.

In the meantime, I'll give my wife's laptop a try. It's older hardware, but I think it got the upgrade to Win 10.

Just let me know, you have my #

JR

Again, just following up.

Installed all software on wife's  laptop (surprising to me it's still on Win 7) but everything seems to be working now as far as mouse control and selections from drop downs, etc. Must be a problem with my laptop.

I THINK I have everything working. So my questions now has more to do with setting up the strings in SE and which channels to use in existing sequences to create arches.  Should I ask here in the Pixies thread or go to the SE thread? 

9 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Again, just following up.

Installed all software on wife's  laptop (surprising to me it's still on Win 7) but everything seems to be working now as far as mouse control and selections from drop downs, etc. Must be a problem with my laptop.

I THINK I have everything working. So my questions now has more to do with setting up the strings in SE and which channels to use in existing sequences to create arches.  Should I ask here in the Pixies thread or go to the SE thread? 

What are you looking for?

How to add the controller to SE?

Just remembered you are S5 so when it comes down to setting up your props that would be for someone else familiar with S5.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

So is Advanced release 36 considered S5? I haven't been able to figure that out, either! Want to post in the proper forum.

I can add the controller to the sequence, but I think I have other programming questions to know if I can do what I want easily with the existing sequences and to make sure I've configured the string to act properly. 

8 minutes ago, tlogan said:

So is Advanced release 36 considered S5?

I assume you mean version 4.3.36 (current release for S4).  No.  S5 would start with version 5.  Current version as I type this is 5.1.4