Light-O-Rama Forums

Running power to the controllers.

Platinumcd

I have 2 of the metal 16 channel pro controllers. I have never set these up. I noticed each one has two plugs for the wall. So my question is if I am running mostly led lights do I need the 4 supply wires to be on different breakers ? Do they pull that much ? In other words 2 wires to one circuit and the other two wires to a different circuit ?  Sorry it’s so basic just trying to get started. 

If you are running LEDs, you would be hard pressed to need more than one circuit.  The split supply is designed around large incan strings which CAN draw a lot of power.  Generally (at least when new) the packaging fro LED strings will tell you the current draw.  Just add them up.  The best answer is to measure what your actual load is with everything on full.  One standard recommendation is one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/P3-International-Kill-A-Watt-EZ-Meter-P4460/202196388

Very handy for all kinds of things!

38 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If you are running LEDs, you would be hard pressed to need more than one circuit.  The split supply is designed around large incan strings which CAN draw a lot of power.  Generally (at least when new) the packaging fro LED strings will tell you the current draw.  Just add them up.  The best answer is to measure what your actual load is with everything on full.  One standard recommendation is one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/P3-International-Kill-A-Watt-EZ-Meter-P4460/202196388

Very handy for all kinds of things!

Second that recommendation.  Not only does it show instantaneous power, it also can show usage over time (what your utility meter does, but for a single cord)

• Like 1

I have 13 of these controllers all on one circuit with no issues. Since I use all led I have converted all of mine to single cords so I use less plugs. I have tested and when all lights are on at the same time I am pulling 11.12 amps (74%) on that circuit which is fine for the show because they are never all on at the same time anyway.

• Like 1

I'd just plug the 2 controlelrs into one circut and see how it goes.  I initially had 2 ctb16's and 2 cmb24's on one circuit and worked fine during the warmer halloween season.  One it got colder for christmas, started to flip the CFCI and had to break up into several circuts.