Light-O-Rama Forums

Flood lights

jarnhold

I am wanting to add some flood lights to my show this year, I have a basic 16ch show no RGB or anything just basic. I purchased some LED floods from Homedepot but when I plug them in there is a short delay, I cant use them in timing sequences because of the delay,, is there anything in LED  flood I can use ? or do I have to go to non LED or incandescent lighting? I would prefer to stay with LED if I can.

Thanks all

Lowes usually puts out some cheap ones this time of year with yard stakes for about $15. I use them on my nativity scene and such where I’m not changing colors. They are fairly instant on. 

You could also edit your sequence to pop them a second earlier and then they would probably be dead on. 

Or buy the LOR 50 watt floodlights. I love mine. 

3 hours ago, jarnhold said:

I am wanting to add some flood lights to my show this year, I have a basic 16ch show no RGB or anything just basic. I purchased some LED floods from Homedepot but when I plug them in there is a short delay, I cant use them in timing sequences because of the delay,, is there anything in LED  flood I can use ? or do I have to go to non LED or incandescent lighting? I would prefer to stay with LED if I can.

Thanks all

Can you link which lights you bought. Or take it or post a picture. It kind of depends on what kind of lights you bought just the bulbs? Or did you buy fixtures. I burned out most of my Flood LEDs last year that were all purchased at Lowe’s or online.  Some just can’t handle fading or dimming, or rapid on and off like a strobe for very long. This year I upgraded to 8 50 W floods from LOR. Also 8 10w floods from LOR. 

Be wary of doing any effects with those. The delay is most likely the LED driver and that will not be 'dimable'. if it hasn't fried, it may later.

I really want an LOR compatible relay option (or a HW Utility setting on the controller that Locks  selected outputs into On-Off only mode).

I was thinking of a header to drive an off the shelf relay board like https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Channel-Module-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B00KTELP3I?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00KTELP3I

This would allow for any On/Off switching (AC or DC) (I figured, adding 8 signal lines would be more doable, since the CMB24 has 24 controlled lines)

I have already blown a color changing string, because I put the wrong port into an 'effect' mode. (HW Utility should honor this mode until removed. Stuff happens.

I actually have 10 watt floods with memory. They're the ones they sell on Amazon and ebay for about $15 with a 3 prong u.s. plug. They come with a remote but if you get the ones WITH memory you can set the color of that particular flood and use it as an on-off only. then every time it turns on it will remember the last color it was set to no matter how many times you turn it on and off.

I have them up in my display this year switching between 2 channels for one channel of red and one purple. I have two that are set to red and 2 that are set to purple. There's no delay on them they come on instantly. BUT Keep in mind you cannot set Fades... Shimmers or twinklr. You can only set them in your sequence for on and off. They look just like the Lor floods except they are silver instead of black I have them on my house before I switched over to the Lor controllable rgb floods this year. so I had 8 of them and have utilize them as ambient Lighting in my display as well as two that are set on a red Channel and two that are set on purple this is what they look like and they come with a 6-foot us plug. I will edit this shortly and provide the link to the ones that I bought. I've had them for 2 years and they work great so there was no sense getting rid of them when I upgraded they work great for ambient lighting on my tombstones in the front set to purple.

here is the link to the ones that I bought you have to select the RGB option with the US plug.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/10W-20W-30W-50W-100W-LED-Flood-Light-Outdoor-Garden-Lamp-Waterproof-Spotlight-/281625800230?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

2873xfr.jpg

rk0h9g.jpg

on a side note I purchased a total of 8 only one of those eight has had problems where the red stopped working but the Green and the blue still work on it. For only 15 bucks it's not a bad investment you can use it year-round as it is waterproof. The company I linked to sells them with memory when you select the 10-watt US plug to add the note on the checkout page that you want it with memory. 

Edited by GriswoldStyle

You can also buy all white NON LEDs and put color lenses on them. I do this only when I can't find color non led bulbs. I feel your pain on the timing. I spent quite a bit of money on 20 color LED flood lights and had to work really hard to get the timing to match due to the delay. Like someone else said, Lowes will put some out soon. I plan to stock up as I'm afraid LED will take over soon. 

LOR's 10W floods are a bit more but they also come with a 5M cord and pigtail (to connect to the controller.)

It would be nice if they offered FULL CASE discounts (I wonder if they do value added things before they are shipped, which would negate the just slap a lable and ship savings). 

They do have a CMB24 bundle price

15 hours ago, TheDucks said:

t would be nice if they offered FULL CASE discounts

I think for us a full case is 48, and if you are ordering that many you are probably a commercial customer or partner. 

But I will tell the boss that maybe a 'pack' of floods is in order (without the controller/ps/etc)..

I think I am going to try what Griswold has those are interesting, I am not smart enough to figure the DC board stuff out lol, I really need to learn how to take my show to the next level, it is kind of intimidating. Thankyou all for the ideas