Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving to Europe

bryan.hurley5

Hey everyone!

I am moving to Italy soon and everything I own runs off of 110v. I have thought about all my options from running a DC to AC converter from my Car to power my show over there or just running it off of a transformer. For the people in Europe, where do you buy your lights and does your local community support your light show?

Europe is mostly 240V (50Hz).  If you have Pixels (smart or dumb) , just check your power supplies are 240V capable (100-250 means it auto switches. 120/240 means you need to make a jumper/switch change. 120V means your hosed ? as far as simple)

For low power stuff (wall wort size), just by a Step Down voltage transformer (they will be heavy: pounds. IMHO avoid an 'electronic' converter.

Note: power plugs vary by country, Adapters are temporary. If you know what standard, roam surplus electronics sites and grab cords with the correct plugs (you can always cut the other end off.

AC controllers are a different ball game. LOR can advise about conversion to 240V. BUT you will need to replace all hose 5-15R pigtails.

• Thanks 1

I spent 8 years in Japan back quite a few years ago 30 ago. Dang.

Even back then we could buy "step down" transformers for all of our American electronics. 

I would hope there are some step up transformers.

I just assisted a member here from Italy. Did it all through Google Translator and Team Viewer, LOL. He got all of his stuff from LOR. Perhaps you can start your own Mini in Italy.

His UN ~ P ierpaolo

He posted his email address in his help thread in case you wanted/ needed to reach out with someone there. Esp if you speak Italian.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Thanks 1

Hello all

Indeed look at the powersupply specifications.    If not  full range  110 - 250   => replace.

For devices that run directely from 110v,   ONLY use a big transformer.  Calculate the amount of power needed, and don't be scared to buy a realy big transformer if needed. 

But using two kind of  voltages in one show is very tricky, as  connecting to the wrong outlet is a big risk. The lights or controller will do it for a very short while than. (miliseconds )

( A transformer of 1 Kw can keep a tent from blowing away in a storm ? )   

NEVER use  converters as many do chop of the bottom part of the Sinusphase to supply half the power or cut the cylce in half.

Those converters will destroy     any     electronic device connected to them, they are only intended to use with things like old bulp lamps. 

They will destroy led lamps and many powersupplies and devices who are intended to run on 110 only.  The voltage peaks will get a lot above 110V and blow everything.

On the other hand, if you use 230V strings you can deliver twice the amount of power per channel on a AC controller. As the max amps is the same but the voltage is about twice as high.

For the 230volt ledstrings,  I just buy the  locally from a manufacturer of Christmas decorations nearby, as they use very much 230 volt for the decorations still. http://www.light2000.nl/

All low voltage stuff I get from Ray Wu mostly. ( China )

Best regards

Dick de Wit

The Netherlands

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the helpful information everyone! I have a very simple set up. Two CTB16 controllers with all LED lights. Nothing smart. All my lights just say 110v only and that's why I was nervous. I'm still debating just putti g my controllers into storage but I don't think I can last 4 years without running a show. I need my fix :)

1 hour ago, bryan.hurley5 said:

Thanks for all the helpful information everyone! I have a very simple set up. Two CTB16 controllers with all LED lights. Nothing smart. All my lights just say 110v only and that's why I was nervous. I'm still debating just putti g my controllers into storage but I don't think I can last 4 years without running a show. I need my fix :)

Oh! Short term!   ~$100 to use what you have.

If you are ALL LED, I would guess the AC load under 1-2KVA (not including the computer or Audio Amp). Go the transformer route.  Something like https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VOD-3000-Step-Voltage-Transformer/dp/B004FKE8RC/ref=sr_1_40?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538320193&sr=1-40&keywords=step+down+transformer+220v+to+110v&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2888054011 Depending on the country, you may need to fit a new plug

Be absolutely sure to bring all the US power cords (or the fixings ;) ) and outlet strips you need for your show.  Be sure to bring your show files and LOR key

The other option is to store you stuff and buy 230V CTB16's and plan on pimping those to another addict  ? when you return . (and also sell them the LEDs you bought over there)

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2018 at 5:20 PM, TheDucks said:

Oh! Short term!   ~$100 to use what you have.

If you are ALL LED, I would guess the AC load under 1-2KVA (not including the computer or Audio Amp). Go the transformer route.  Something like https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VOD-3000-Step-Voltage-Transformer/dp/B004FKE8RC/ref=sr_1_40?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538320193&sr=1-40&keywords=step+down+transformer+220v+to+110v&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2888054011 Depending on the country, you may need to fit a new plug

Be absolutely sure to bring all the US power cords (or the fixings ;) ) and outlet strips you need for your show.  Be sure to bring your show files and LOR key

The other option is to store you stuff and buy 230V CTB16's and plan on pimping those to another addict  ? when you return . (and also sell them the LEDs you bought over there)

Sadly I was unable to set up this year. I put up a few European lights but they are awful. I am going to go the transformer route next year like you suggested. I have a question though. In the states we run 60hz, here it's 50hz. It's my understanding that LEDs, since they are DC, don't really care about hz. Is this correct? The hz difference shouldn't damage my lights?

1 hour ago, bryan.hurley5 said:

Sadly I was unable to set up this year. I put up a few European lights but they are awful. I am going to go the transformer route next year like you suggested. I have a question though. In the states we run 60hz, here it's 50hz. It's my understanding that LEDs, since they are DC, don't really care about hz. Is this correct? The hz difference shouldn't damage my lights?

2 things were the common 50Hz worry: 1) US Motors and Transformers. Both, because 60Hz items need less Iron (cores), 2) Motor speed (International Tape and Record players had different wheels , pulleys or shafts. to switch from 60 to 50Hz).

If the device power label says 100-250V 50/60Hz (the dash in voltage says no switch setting needed. a slash means DO IT or risk smoke).

IMHO Run everything that CAN run 240V direct and save the expensive Transformer capacity for stuff that can't switch. TV's and Radios use different bands for OTA. Leave them. Bring your (region 1) DVD player if you are bringing DVD's

• The topic was locked