Light-O-Rama Forums

Forum Jargon

~DOC~

So I am new. One of my hardest parts is the Jargon the Forum uses. I figure some of it out but other times I am oblivious too what it stands for. Example: So I see people say SE or SS. I figure it means SE= sequence editor and SS= super star but there is so much more. I try my best to read the forum but it takes time when I have to try figure out some of the special Jargon that is used, abbreviations etc. Can you help me out with some more examples so I have a place to revert too to determine what it is? In advance it it much appreciated.....

PE = Pixel Editor

RGB = Red, Green, Blue (generally referring to strips or pixel).

PI = Power Injection

S4 = Light O Rama Showtime software version 4

S5 = Light O Rama Showtime software version 5 (a major change)

Sequencer = The combination of Sequence Editor and Pixel Editor that is now the core of S5

BTW, a suggestion to edit your profile to include software license level and software version.  The reason is that WHEN (not if) you ask questions, very often the answer depends on those two pieces of information.  If you display that in your profile, it saves having one of use have to ask and then you answer...

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

PE = Pixel Editor

RGB = Red, Green, Blue (generally referring to strips or pixel).

PI = Power Injection

S4 = Light O Rama Showtime software version 4

S5 = Light O Rama Showtime software version 5 (a major change)

Sequencer = The combination of Sequence Editor and Pixel Editor that is now the core of S5

BTW, a suggestion to edit your profile to include software license level and software version.  The reason is that WHEN (not if) you ask questions, very often the answer depends on those two pieces of information.  If you display that in your profile, it saves having one of use have to ask and then you answer...

Thank you. I am new very new. I currently only have the demo and no hardware. I am trying to determine what to buy as of this second (reading a lot of the forum). My choice will be made up this weekend. I will update my info once purchased. For now just trying to learn to make the best possible purchase to suit my needs. 

Incans  = Incandescent

LED  =  LED

Flood, Spot = Area Lighting (may be RGB or single color)

Vampire Plug or outlet = A plug or outlet that clamps over SPT-1 or SPT-2 wire that makes connection by piercing the insulation. Tooless connection

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Vampire Plug or outlet = A plug or outlet that clamps over SPT-1 or SPT-2 wire that makes connection by piercing the insulation.

SPT-1 = Stranded Parallel Thermoplastic wire.  Commonly also called lamp cord, or zip cord.

SPT-2 = Same thing as SPT-1 except the insulation is thicker.

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

LED  =  LED

LED = Light Emitting Diode  A light-emitting diode (LED) is a two-lead semiconductor light source. It is a p–n junction diode that emits light when activated. When a suitable current is applied to the leads, electrons are able to recombine with electron holes within the device, releasing energy in the form of photons. This effect is called electroluminescence, and the color of the light (corresponding to the energy of the photon) is determined by the energy band gap of the semiconductor. LEDs are typically small (less than 1 mm2) and integrated optical components may be used to shape the radiation pattern.  For our purposes, we primarily use Red, Green, and Blue LEDs because those are the three primary colors.  By mixing the intensity of the three primary colors, any color can be produced.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

LED = Light Emitting Diode  A light-emitting diode (LED) is a two-lead semiconductor light source. It is a p–n junction diode that emits light when activated. When a suitable current is applied to the leads, electrons are able to recombine with electron holes within the device, releasing energy in the form of photons. This effect is called electroluminescence, and the color of the light (corresponding to the energy of the photon) is determined by the energy band gap of the semiconductor. LEDs are typically small (less than 1 mm2) and integrated optical components may be used to shape the radiation pattern.  For our purposes, we primarily use Red, Green, and Blue LEDs because those are the three primary colors.  By mixing the intensity of the three primary colors, any color can be produced.

CCR , CCP, CCB = what? And how are these different and what is the importance? 

I see CCR stands for Cosmic color ribbon  but the rest is a little fuzzy.

CCR - Cosmic Color Ribbon (origianlly LPD6803 12v) Tape or ribbon

CCP - Cosmic Color Pixels (originally LPD6803 5v) Bullet style

CCB - Cosmic Color Bulbs (originally LPD6803 5v) larger C9 bulbs

These are usually refered to the original devices that LOR came out with. The newer versions are CCR II which use the newer Pixie 2 controllers and are WS2811 12v.

Edited by Mr. P

And one of the MOST obvious two abbreviations you'll see used are for the Hardware Utility are either "HU" or "HWU". 

As this is kind of the main software in the package you use to usually set most LOR {Light-O-Rama} Controllers to, as well as TEST controllers and lights even before you start sequencing so you know everything is working properly.

The HWU allows you to program shows if using an MP3 Director on an SD Card if one is used among testing other types of controllers and even configuring them, like the CCB-100 Controller {5V, version 1} I use to reverse a port so that lights all flow in the same direction when using smart pixels, like CCB's or CCP's.

It's the main program as far as I'm concerned in our Light-O-Rama Software Suite, no matter which version you're using.   Without it, we couldn't set up or test RGB lights, AC controllers {CTB16PC}, etc.   It is also the way you UPDATE firmware in LOR Controllers when needed or necessary.

17 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Ok feeling like a idiot but I know I know this one PSU. Help me remember....

PSU + Power Supply Unit

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, robongar said:

#*:%^* or grey smoke. Means you’ve screwed up

Also sometimes called the Magic Blue Smoke.  It's magic because it's the secret ingredient that makes all electronics work properly.  Don't believe that?  You will find that electronics stops working when the magic smoke leaks out.

Don't want leaking smoke!

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Also sometimes called the Magic Blue Smoke.  It's magic because it's the secret ingredient that makes all electronics work properly.  Don't believe that?  You will find that electronics stops working when the magic smoke leaks out.

Don't want leaking smoke!

Yes, my mistake. Not grey, “magic blue smoke”. Another senior moment, I’m allowed those occasional now. 

5 hours ago, robongar said:

Yes, my mistake. Not grey, “magic blue smoke”. Another senior moment, I’m allowed those occasional now. 

Since folks don't want info on something I do know about, I just won't give it any longer. 

And therefore it hass been removed from this area, what's been previously quoted from the deleted content I can do nothing about. 

End of my discussion.

Edited by Orville
Deleted original content. I could say something, but not even going there.

But nothing out smells a Selenium Rectifier. Had one go in the sound stack at my High School. 1 Year later, the sound booth still had a noticeable smell

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

But nothing out smells a Selenium Rectifier.

That is for sure!

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Actually both colors are correct, it really depends on what you're letting the "Magic Smoke" out of, I've seen it very light blue{almost white with a hint of blue}, grey, blue-grey, white and even black, yes, black. 

But I've never seem it a deep blue, nor even close to cyan, more like setting a pixel on with all colors on, but you lighten one color so it turns a very pale blue almost white, that's the only "Blue Magic Smoke" I've ever seen come out.

And I've let the magic smoke out of more things than I can count over my years in electronics as both a career and a hobbyist.

Depends on voltage, type of device that got blown apart or popped, etc.

But the average magic smoke color is a white or grey with a blue tint to it

Your expert descriptions of the undesirable remind me of the first 20 seconds of this famous clip.   In other words,  your expertise is not necessarily something to boast about.