Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobe Lights?

DisneyMatt10

Question... and I'm sure this is going to sound like a REALLY dumb question... But do you all not ever get concerned about epilepsy when using strobe lights/strobe light effects? I only ask because I had some say to me "You shouldn't do that strobe effect. That can be very dangerous for some people." 

Anyone ever have this issue, and how do you get around it? Do you put out "Warning Strobe lights in use" signs... Or do you just not worry about it??

In a sue happy country where everyone seems to want to sue everyone else for anything and everything... Maybe I'm just being to cautious. ?‍♂️

I don't think this is a dumb question at all, but I do think that unless you are running strobes almost continuously, you have nothing to worry about. I often wonder about it when I see the stop lights with the strobes in the red lenses. Where I work, (a theater) we run the standard "this show may contain strobe lights" disclaimer in the program, and in 22 years I've only had one person ask me when the strobe lights were being used in a show so they could be prepared for it. But, I agree...we can't be too careful in today's day and age.

1 hour ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Question... and I'm sure this is going to sound like a REALLY dumb question... But do you all not ever get concerned about epilepsy when using strobe lights/strobe light effects? I only ask because I had some say to me "You shouldn't do that strobe effect. That can be very dangerous for some people." 

Anyone ever have this issue, and how do you get around it? Do you put out "Warning Strobe lights in use" signs... Or do you just not worry about it??

In a sue happy country where everyone seems to want to sue everyone else for anything and everything... Maybe I'm just being to cautious. ?‍♂️

The other person in my NH only does static displays for that very reason. Her grandkids have epilepsy so cant watch the flashy shows. She comes up to my show and I visit her show. They use the entire end of the street and have really nice themes and even adults get treats. Mini wines if they partake and moon pies.

My feeling, the parents know and it is their responsibility to protect their children and don't take them to a light show that may affect their children.

JR

At my old house we had someone like that in the neighborhood.  When ever they would come see the show I would unplug the strobes.  If someone driving to your show is effected by the strobes, then they would be affected by police strobes.  And those flash a lot faster then the ones we use.