Light-O-Rama Forums

New guy

~DOC~

20 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Just an example, each manufacture of pixels has different specs. You have to apply the specs to the lights you have.

So I may be wrong here. But do 12 volt pixels require the entire 12 volts or do they still operate at lower voltages. 

Whats the sweet spot that pixels like. ( 12 volt)?

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

So I may be wrong here. But do 12 volt pixels require the entire 12 volts or do they still operate at lower voltages. 

You may get them to operate at lower voltages {8-10 volts come to mind}, however, the intensity of the pixels will be diminished and this could possibly also affect some color mixes of the pixels as well.   Example: red may appear to look more like a pink.   If they're rated at 12volts, that to me, IS their optimum voltage and the lowest voltage I'd use.  But to each their own, it may work well, then again, it may not.   All depends on the pixel and possibly even the controller.

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

12V pixels have current limiting resistors built in that balance the light output of R G B (the values are different for each color).

I set my PSU to 12.6V (5% high or 1/2 of the tolerance for common 12V electronics) at the supply.  As I told my engineer years ago: "I have never run into a negative Voltage Drop"  (everyone was setting supplies to the nominal Voltage, then mumbling about low voltage on the boards) 1/2 the tolerance is a 'safe' value

10 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

I think LOR needs to update their one site. Mr. P link takes you to a place where they only say 50 ft. Where the manual clearly states 80. Not sure how to inform them but may be something one of you senior forum guys should do. Or they state 50 so people don’t have issues. 

No worries, they’ve been playing with those manuals every now and then.

One day maybe the new ones will be 100’.

JR

The pixie says 100 pixels can be run, but what if you PI right off the get go. Can you run more off one port since you would PI every strand or every other ? The board would not see over 4 amps then.

13 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Pixie's can handle 170 pixels per port max (with pi) as they can't round robin universes.

Is this due to the data degrading over distance?

3 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Is this due to the data degrading over distance?

No, its due to 170 pixels equals 510 channels and there are only 512 to a universe.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

No, its due to 170 pixels equals 510 channels and there are only 512 to a universe.

Ugh forgot  3 channels per pixel. 

3 channels x 170 = 510

universe is 512 channels 

I hope you all will keep me straight on these things. I read this but since I am new things aren’t always remembered. 

• Like 1

Also correct me if I am wrong. Two LOR strings are only 15 Watts each drawing 2.5 amps and not enough to overload the board but passed 100 pixels this is where voltage drop comes into play. 

If they are only 15 watts a string that would be 3.75 amps which is under the 4 amp fuses. I say hook up three and see what happens, if colors are not looking like they are suppose to on the third string then yes voltage drop.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

If they are only 15 watts a string that would be 3.75 amps which is under the 4 amp fuses. I say hook up three and see what happens, if colors are not looking like they are suppose to on the third string then yes voltage drop.

I meant 1.25 amp per string. I was scratching my head about 3.75 amps. But 3 strings would be 3.75. I think I like a little cushion. 3.75 is a little close.

4 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

I meant 1.25 amp per string. I was scratching my head about 3.75 amps. But 3 strings would be 3.75. I think I like a little cushion. 3.75 is a little close.

Actually 3.75 would be fine as that is with all lights on white. How often would the lights be all on white? Usuallt they would be different colors or chasing or something, very seldom you would have them all on white.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

What is the longest length you can run your wire from your pc to the first controller. 

According to LOR, if it is the newest version, 50'. However, others have claimed further.

http://www1.lightorama.com/pixel-extensions/

Edited by Mr. P

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did it I should have two crb16pc this week. Yea I know I want the pixels but I need to take baby steps. Hope you all will help me. Just want a moderate display this year. More questions coming once I get them. Oh yes I did decide to go straight to pro on the software. So where do I go to help you out to help me out. I am in so many words happy. But also sick because the money I spent. 

I also bought 1500 more lights to add to my already 5000 plus. Lol

Edited by ~DOC~
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

Well I did it I should have two crb16pc this week. Yea I know I want the pixels but I need to take baby steps. Hope you all will help me. Just want a moderate display this year. More questions coming once I get them. Oh yes I did decide to go straight to pro on the software. So where do I go to help you out to help me out. I am in so many words happy. But also sick because the money I spent. 

I also bought 1500 more lights to add to my already 5000 plus. Lol

Awesome!

• Like 1