Light-O-Rama Forums

LED rope lights and LOR CTB16PC

Star Lord

Is there any issue in using LED rope lights with the LOR CTB16PC?  I was thinking about using a couple of them for green outlines of a couple of singing Christmas trees.  Here’s a rope example: https://www.amazon.com/CBconcept-Dimmable-110-120V-Flexible-Accessories/dp/B007TN6A9G/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1537405864&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+green+rope+lights+outdoor&dpPl=1&dpID=51pGFcDRcWL&ref=plSrch

If you're going to use any of the effects on them like Fades, Shimmer, or Twinkle just make sure the rope light is labeled as "Dimmable", some are not.  If it can be dimmed, then it can be used with any of the effects the controller can send to it.  

If NOT Dimmable, then the rope light can only be turned on with FULL ON and COMPLETELY OFF in the Sequence Editor, otherwise you may damage your rope light and even possibly your controller if using effects that the rope light can't handle.

If you read the description, on the site you posted, it says,

"However, required dimmer is NOT included."

That would be a red flag to me.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

If you read the description, on the site you posted, it says,

"However, required dimmer is NOT included."

That would be a red flag to me.

How is that a red flag?  In the description it says that it is dimmable, just that it doesn't include a dimmer, meaning that it just has a straight plug and not a controller to dim it.

I would say that this would work perfect.

I've bought rolls of incandecent rope from 1000blubls.  They also sell led rope and for all their rope prouctus, they list spec's like "dimmable", "cut length", etc..

1 hour ago, Light_addiction said:

How is that a red flag?  In the description it says that it is dimmable, just that it doesn't include a dimmer, meaning that it just has a straight plug and not a controller to dim it.

Don't be too sure about that.  Some rope lights have a specific dimmer that is "matched" to the rope light and so they can't be used with other type dimmers out there, like the CTB16PC Controller.  If the dimmer is required and specific to the rope light, chances are it might not be dimmable using other means. 

So, yes, I can see why Phil stated that was a red flag, it would be to me as well.  

So I did ask about this on Amazon and hopefully the company itself will answer this question.  I've asked questions on Amazon many times and been informed by the company directly whether something would work or not.  Especially since I use rope light for other things too, and would be great to know *exactly* if the product IS NOT LIMITED to a specific/special type dimmer to make it work like that.

I'll keep watch on this one and tell you what answers I get about it, hopefully one direct from the rope light company.

Edited by Orville

2 hours ago, Light_addiction said:

Well, for starters we're talking about 12V DC 3528 LEDs so there has to be a power adaptor or transformer to convert to line voltage. That alone will make make dimming with the LOR controller impossible, whether or not you add the optional dimmer, which probably slots in on the DC side. Most people would use a DC controller for this type of strip