Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange behavior CMB24 10w plug and show

trooperblazer

So I ordered the CMB24 with 8 10w RGB floods.  I tested each one individually to make sure everything works!  I then installed them on my house.  I thought it would look cool to go ahead and run them at night.  No sequencing but just through the HU. Everything turned on and stayed on (white color).  But after about 30 minutes one of the lights changes to a teal blue in color while the others stay white.  I did this several times and always the same channel/fixture #5.  Is this normal? Or do I have a faulty light?

First off, the CMB24 can act as a stand alone so you can install a sequence in the CMB24. That way you won't have to leave the computer connected and run through the HU.

Second, did you swap the light to see if it is the light or the channel?

Edited by Mr. P

29 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

First off, the CMB24 can act as a stand alone so you can install a sequence in the CMB24. That way you won't have to leave the computer connected and run through the HU.

Second, did you swap the light to see if it is the light or the channel?

I wasnt able to swap the light as yet due to everything being installed and cable routing.  As yet!!!

Holy ^&*( didnt know I could run it in standalone mode.  i just watched a video on Youtube on how to do this.  Very simple!  Thanx for bringing this to my attention.  Im going to try this today and have it ready for tonight.  

Again Thank You!!!!!

I have a CMB24 for my landscape lighting. I run it in stand alone mode and program it to start the sequence when powered on. Connect it to a timer or light sensor and the sequence will start with no computer or director and you won't have to touch it.

Edited by Mr. P

Did you make extensions for that flood? If you extended the wires, It could be a bad heat shrink that's causing two of them to bump together.

I had this exact same problem with one when I made my own extensions. It ended up just being the heat shrink pulled the wires too tight and made them connect through the other heat shrink.

take that light down if you extended the wire and check the connections separate the wires and try again. If it works after you separated all the wires you know what the problem is.

On a side note if you did extend the wires don't use the cheap 2:1 Amazon heat shrink. Go through buyheatshrink and order the 3:1 adhesive lined it's the best stuff out there. 

Edited by GriswoldStyle

19 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Did you make extensions for that flood? If you extended the wires, It could be a bad heat shrink that's causing two of them to bump together.

I had this exact same problem with one when I made my own extensions. It ended up just being the heat shrink pulled the wires too tight and made them connect through the other heat shrink.

take that light down if you extended the wire and check the connections separate the wires and try again. If it works after you separated all the wires you know what the problem is.

On a side note if you did extend the wires don't use the cheap 2:1 Amazon heat shrink. Go through buyheatshrink and order the 3:1 adhesive lined it's the best stuff out there. 

Yea I bought the LOR extensions!

Check the connections for that specific flood. There may be one that is not connected properly or possible the connections into the board are too long. First inspect the board connections. Look for a tiny fray of wire stick out or a wire that in too long.

I built my own extensions out of alarm wire. Not the low extensions. Check the board with a magnifying glass where the wires come in to the port having the problem. Odds are it is there or a bad connection point in one of the wire extensions. I am leaning towards a board connection. Hopefully it was a new board. 

I checked the connections. Everything seems fine. Swapped out the extension. And it still doing it. But I ran through the entire show and no problems. Only seems to do it when I have it on white and leave it on for a straight 30 minutes plus. I’ll experiment more with it at a later date and time but for now it’s working the way it should just doesn’t sound weird thing LOL

3 hours ago, trooperblazer said:

I checked the connections. Everything seems fine. Swapped out the extension. And it still doing it. But I ran through the entire show and no problems. Only seems to do it when I have it on white and leave it on for a straight 30 minutes plus. I’ll experiment more with it at a later date and time but for now it’s working the way it should just doesn’t sound weird thing LOL

Swap the channel (with LOR extensions, just swap the plugs), if the problem follows  to the new channel, the Board connections are good.

Feel the connections (use a IR temp tester if you are rich), loof a Hoter one.

Teal.  Look at the R output, the wire/screws can get odd, be sure the wire is under the metal flap or inside the cage depends on the connector you got.

It could be the Lamp is just getting too hot (poor LED Module attachment) which only shows up when RGB (white) are all on.  If it is, LOR will make it good

• The topic was locked