Light-O-Rama Forums

Re-installed software

Mr. P

I just set up my new computer and installed the version of LOR that I always use. Didn't something come out a few months back that we had to download something or add something, I can't remember what it was.

I don't think so. I don't recall having to install anything  extra, but then again I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

There used to be a patch for large channel counts but I think it got incorporated with S4. It's been a while since I heard about it.

I've had SE and Network Preferences screens work eratically after  installing first  ver3, then ver4 on 2 new computers. I never had isuses on install LOR software on XP machines but all kinds of issues on W7 machines.  

Standard LOR fix was to run their "registry clenup tool", which didn't help .  Tried some other popular registry cleanup tool but in both cases, had to do a "system retore to start over, which fixed my LOR issues.  For Network Preference iisues, LOR also had a  fix file for a specific registry issue which did solve the issue.

You might want to share more on specific screen issues. 

You 

LOR's standard "fix" was to run their "r

25 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

but then again I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Phil, I do remember what I had for breakfast this morning.  But that is only because I'm eating it as I type this...

A Jimmy Dean Breakfast bowl (Meat lovers).

DELETE THIS EMPTY BOX.  It was in error.

Edited by Orville
Delete this box, no relevancy or need.

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I just set up my new computer and installed the version of LOR that I always use. Didn't something come out a few months back that we had to download something or add something, I can't remember what it was.

The only thing I ever had to download and install extra were the FTDI Drivers.   Other than that, have no idea what other versions may require any type of patch or fixes to install them.  As I've never done anything to patch or fix any previous LOR software up to what I'm using now.  

Again, just had to install the FTDI drivers as they weren't in my original installation files.    So had to locate them, download latest versions and install, this is the only software I had to run separately from the LOR installer file.

Okay, I remeber what it was. DevMike was posting back in June about S4 and S5 automatically downloading files to update themselves. I just knew it had something to do with downloading but I couldn't remeber.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Okay, I remember what it was. DevMike was posting back in June about S4 and S5 automatically downloading files to update themselves. I just knew it had something to do with downloading but I couldn't remeber.

Interesting.  I didn't know S4 would do that. 

And many times I disable the wireless internet connection to my show computer to prevent such things from happening. 

Hope those auto-download updates don't ever happen if I'm running a show and have the internet disconnected.  That should be able to be set as an option, auto, or let me decide when to install updates or do a manual check for them when I think it may be necessary to check for one. 

All my other software give that option, so don't know why the LOR software should be any different in this aspect.  

Otherwise couldn't an auto-update attempt crash a show if one was running and the internet wasn't connected for it to do so?

Or perhaps even if it was running a show, wouldn't an auto-update cause issues with a running show? 

Or is there some kind of safeguards in place to prevent this when a show is actually in operation?

Sure hate to find an auto update crashed something and shut down a show in the middle of a song or something, so I'm really  hoping there are safeguards in place to prevent this when shows are in operation.

If it weren't for the fact I'm using smart RGB Pixels now, I'd be very tempted to go backward to S3, but all my sequences have been updated to S4, so that'd probably be a no go on reversing anything now.

Just curious how this works and what might or could possibly happen in case a show was running when an auto update would be called for and processed by the software.

Thanks Mr. P.  I didn't see that post about S4 downloading files.  At least I think nothing should stop, well, then again, if a popup asks to download during a show, I'm thinking that could still create a stopped show issue because now the LOR software is waiting for an answer and if you're not home when that first pop up occurs, that could shut down something.   I've had it happen in other programs I had left running to go do something and came back asking to allow access through my firewall and program was stopped dead in its tracks.

We need some instructions on how to set up EXCEPTIONS for the LOR Software in the Firewall area so this doesn't happen at all.  Do we need to add every program in there, just certain ones or ?...  Would be nice to know just what EXCEPTIONS need to be added, then the software shouldn't pop up asking anything.  At least I'd hope not!  Programs I know and trust, I usually will allow auto downloading, but I try to limit that option, and if it calls for a reboot, then I disable that option all together, as that could foul up a show as well if that {or stupid Windows thought it} was needed.

I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or a possible disaster in the making during showtimes.

• The topic was locked