Light-O-Rama Forums

PixCon16 Issues

SantaLudy

I will say that I am positive, but we all are human.  This particular computer was built and customized with no software other than Windows 10.  I have a CD drive, video card, Audio card and that's it.  The only software is what I loaded which LOR is most of them.  Others like Audacity. 

Is there a antivirus that I am missing?  I don't know, because I looked and can't locate any.  I have antivirus on my other computer and did not disable it last night, and the board still came up.  Weird, I know.  The only thing I had to do was upload the LOR so the Comm Listener was not on. 

I really need someone much knowledgeable than  to talk with on the phone and try to walk through some scenarios.

The fact that it worked on the old computer, but not the new computer pretty well narrows it down to something about the comptuer.

I'm going to guess something in the Windows firewall.  However usually consumer type firewalls by default block inbound new traffic and allow most anything outbound (and their related inbound).  I don't remember having to open a firewall port on my new Windows 10 computer, but I may be forgetting it too.

After being inspired by SantaLudy,  I dug up my old laptop out of my wife's craft room and got the exact same result! I connected thru the LOR Network Configuration with no problems at all. Furthermore, I didn't even turn off my antivirus software. This older laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium, while the newer laptop and desktop I couldn't get to communicate with the PixCon are running Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 respectively. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I went deeper into the Windows Firewall settings and there was no difference between the old laptop and the new. I may have to negotiate with my wife to use the old laptop this year for the show until I get the new laptop to work. I hope we can eventually solve this.

To be honest these Pixcon's were much easier to setup when they first came out. I don't know if it is the firmware upgrades or Windows 10 or what but I use to be able to talk someone thru the setup in 10 minutes. These things have become so tempermental lately that it has gotten to the point where I can't even recommend them anymore.

Well, through ALL of the reconfiguration and headaches associated with trying to get this computer to read the board, I finally have it loaded.

I can't believe that because I was operating 4.3.14 version that it would not work, SINCE the instructions stated "AT LEAST S4 V4.3.14 Or Higher". 

I upgraded to 4.3.34 and without changing anything back on my computer, the board immediately showed up in the Network Configuration window. 

I know you have many that are ignorant in following the instructions, but I knew in my heart that I had followed every instruction to the letter.  My suggestions is to correct the instructions that when using Windows 10, that version 4.3.34 or Higher, will be needed to read the new PixCon 16 boards. 

Well, it was a learning venture for me, because I did learn an extensive amount of information about Networking and Configuration.

• Thanks 1

Ditto here - including SantaLudy. Just in case anyone else out there has this problem, updating to version 4.3.26 from 4.3.24 solved the problem for me as well. I am also in favor of a re-write of the instructions to clarify this, or point out some other unknown related issue we missed.

Something must have changed in the Pixcon firmware if it takes that recent a software for it to work properly now. The Pixcon was released during the Summer Sale of 2015 and I believe S4 ver 4.1.2 was the newest software release back then and it worked fine.

Lor should put a note that 4.3.26 or newer, or whichever version is now required for the Pixcon to show in the list. Obviously the older versions will not allow it to post.

I just looked back at the trouble shooting guide it it states 

“Ensure you are running Light-O-Rama S4 V4.3.34 or higher. This version (or higher) is required to work with the newest PixCon16s available. Using lower versions may not work correctly.”

funny thing is. When I dug mine out to change my IP,I’m not running the most recent firmware and yet the guide  worked like a charm in under 10 min using windows 10. Hmmmm. Now I’m concerned that I will not be able to use my board in a year or so if I don’t update my LOR software. I’ve switched to xlights but still love the pixcon16 board. 

Cdanna77 - That's  interesting, I just double checked the troubleshooting guide that DevMike posted on this forum (see page 1) and it says 4.3.14 or higher, same with the checklist I got from LOR tech support and have seen on another forum. I wonder if there are two versions of the troubleshooting guide floating around, or maybe one was a typo error? In any case, sounds like we better stick to the latest software. It is encouraging that you like the PixCon16. Can you use the PixCon with xlights?